Rover 400/414i - Will not start - Sheen
Last week I parked my car on the way home to pop into the shops. On returning to the car it would not start. When I turn the key all I hear is a click then nothing. It started fine at the beginning of my journey, and the lights work fine. Could this be a problem with the starter motor?

I don't know if this is relevant, but a couple mths ago I had the chassis wire replaced due to wear, after that the horn stopped working and I don't think the alarm works anymore either. Could there be a connection between this and the car not starting.

Please be advised I know very little about cars, so any help with simple instruct/advise would be great.
Rover 400/414i - Will not start - Civic8
I would start at simple point of starter solenoid.that would click but not switch in the starter.a new one would be in order I think.dont know how much they are though?.hope that helps
Rover 400/414i - Will not start - Dynamic Dave
Do the dash and interior lights go out when the click occurs? If so, check the battery connections and earth points to the bodywork.

Does the car start with bump starting?

Rover 400/414i - Will not start - Oz
Definitely sounds to me like a lack of electrics, of which a faulty connection could be one cause.
Any way there could have been a drain to earth while the vehicle was standing?
Oz (as was)
Rover 400/414i - Will not start - Sheen
Hi,
No the interior lights do not fade. I disconnected the battery and when reconnected the engine made a sort of humming noise after the click. After a few tries the humming stoped.

I haven't been able to try a bump start.
Rover 400/414i - Will not start - Civic8
Humming noise may be fuel pump pressurising it will stop once presurised.if when you try to start ie key in starter pos it just clicks is normaly the starter solenoid.assuming as you said no problem with dash lights
Rover 400/414i - Will not start - Dynamic Dave
Do Rover still use those troublesome stepper motors on their fuel systems for the choke? That could be what is making the humming noise.
Rover 400/414i - Will not start - RichardW
Sounds like the brushes in the starter motor have gone on holiday to me. Give the motor a clonk with the wheel brace and see if it will turn over then.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Rover 400/414i - Will not start - DL
Definately sounds like a classic case of Rover starter motor failure to me...

You could check the connections, but as it clicks, you can rule out the most troublesome connection anyway.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link