SDI Rover still active on patrol? - henry k
I saw an A reg white SDI Police Rover today.
It was fully dressed in stripes and with the big speedo in the dash and the Big signs front and back.
It was being driven over Hampton Court Bridge toward Hampton by a non uniformed individual.
I am assuming it was being ferried as it had bespoke black covers over the blues.

Are they still in use or is this one just kept for displays?
The big Imber Court Police Club is nearby and it was coming from that direction.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - Sooty Tailpipes
I have seen a POLICE Omega owned privately at a club event on show, sporting full regalia, so I presume there must be some dispensation or loophole?
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - Motorwayman
I saw an A reg white SDI Police Rover today.
It was fully dressed in stripes and with the big speedo
in the dash and the Big signs front and back.
It was being driven over Hampton Court Bridge toward Hampton by
a non uniformed individual.
I am assuming it was being ferried as it had bespoke
black covers over the blues.
Are they still in use or is this one just kept
for displays?
The big Imber Court Police Club is nearby and it was
coming from that direction.

It is UNLAWFUL to drive a car that looks like apolice car unless a police officer is drving this.

near were I live, the police mechanics have to cover up the police signs and blue light if they take it for a test drive and the police car would normally have those temporary number plates hanging off it.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - No Do$h
WILL YOU PLEASE LAY OFF THE CAPS!!!!!!

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - wafer
The chances are this would have been a privately owned vehicle which is either used for TV or shows. There are several cars about which are fully liveried up except maybe the individual force crests on them. They will normally display a sheet of paper in the window disclosing that it is a show car or for hire as a TV prop.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - Thommo
Slightly off subject was just watching b****** Squad (AKA the Sweeney) on cable. Hilarious!

They had what was described by Regan as 'a high powered police pursuit vehicle'... a MK1 Ford Granada in bronze...
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - 3500S
The Police keep a number of classics which they lend to owner's clubs for shows. The SD1 is probably one of those.

Perhaps one of the more famous is dark blue Special Protection Service Rover 3500S. Designed to withstand an IRA roadmine, armour plated, bullet-proof glass and comes in at over two and a half tons. Still has all the radio gear installed, Police band, Whitehall band but the more secret stuff was removed.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - GrumpyOldGit
It is UNLAWFUL to drive a car that looks like apolice
car unless a police officer is drving this.

I'm not certain that it is. It is illegal to impersonate a police officer but I seem to recall that it is not illegal to use a marked-up car as long as you don't pretend to be the police, by stopping someone for example. There are several privately-owned 'police' cars that attend shows and rallies. It would be illegal to have the blue lights working.

Maybe DVD or someone equally knowledgable can confirm.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - BazzaBear {P}
>> It is UNLAWFUL to drive a car that looks like
apolice
>> car unless a police officer is drving this.
I'm not certain that it is. It is illegal to impersonate
a police officer but I seem to recall that it is
not illegal to use a marked-up car as long as you
don't pretend to be the police, by stopping someone for example.
There are several privately-owned 'police' cars that attend shows and rallies.
It would be illegal to have the blue lights working.
Maybe DVD or someone equally knowledgable can confirm.

That's what I thought I'd read. Although, come to think of it, I think I read it on here, so as 2nd hand info, is not necessarily correct.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - John Shelton
Im a civilian constabulary employess and on rare occassions I have driven marked Police Astras and a Focus, when vans were unavailible, the stipulation was though that the blue lights could only be used when stationary, as warning marker beacons.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - Orson {P}
Ahhhhh.... a proper motor. Followed one down the A1 last weekend, and spent a while nxt to it just soaking up the beauty! Anyone remember that film through London with a heart or liver or something like that on board?

O
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - keo-the-dog
a friend owns several fire engines and a police car completely legal so long as the beacons and sirens are not connected while on the public highway apparently, he has had problems with the police car and been told to cover beacons and signs which he does, but locally he is known and gets no bother (now , he used to get loads of hassle )
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - Sooty Tailpipes
Yes Orson, I remember that film, I was on about it on here a while ago, but no-one seemed to remember....it wouldn't happen these days.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - Yoby
My Dad used to have one - that 3.5 Litre V8 engine had a growl of its own! When we used to holiday in France we used to get loads of kids all crowding round it in car parks squeezing their noses against the (tinted!) side windows to see how fast the speedo went up to. Trying to explain that 130 was in fact MPH rather than KPH helped me with my French at an early age!

The P5B still has its place in my heart .... and luckily in my Dad\'s garage!

SD1 police car the other day was probably on its way to or from a location shoot. Check out www.actioncars.co.uk - sorry don\'t know how to do a link!

Yoby

To add a link, simply put http: and two forward slashes before the www etc. The http and slashes won\'t appear on the screen once you post, but it tells the Backroom that you are posting a link. ND
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - Dwight Van Driver
Drinks on Motorwayman for the boooby

Section 90 Police Act 1996

...with intent to deceive.....does any act calculated falsely to suggest he is a member of a Police Force or a Constable. Offence &5000 fine and or 6 months imp.

Persons, other than Police, can drive providing they don't start doing things they shouldn't for a purpose.Think - how do Orderleys/ mechanics etc go out on the road? Heartbeat? The Bill.

Looks as if it was a vehicle privately owned for display. Any of you that visit fairs etc and spots 111 HAJ - black Ford Zephyr Mk 3 with blue tit on top - ex North Riding Constabulary and been under the boot of ...

DVD

SDI Rover still active on patrol? - 3500S
Orson,

Yes I remember that, I think it was shown on an early 'Police Camera Action' the footage was from the late 80s.

If I remember right it was three Police SD1's hurtling down the M1 at 125mph with the blue's and twos and then the local police started covering the junctions to let the transplant car go through. Excellent driving and teamwork.

I think they made it to the hospital with 20 minutes to spare.

When the SD1 went out of production in 1986, the Police ordered a batch of Vitesses as they had a large hatchback boot, mechanically simple to work on, lots of grunt and very popular with the Police drivers. The last SD1's went out of Police service in 1990 after 14 years service. Somehow a large Omega is just not the same.

Maybe we'll see some ZT V8's decked out in Police livery soon.
SDI Rover still active on patrol? - SjB {P}
In my neck of the woods is a guy who regularly commutes to work wearing white helmet and black leathers, on an ancient (one of the first) white K series BMW motorcycle with single plain yellow stripe on each side of the fairing (ie no narrow blue or other stripe adjacent to it such as a real copper would have on his machine), and blue wing mirrors.

Somehow, he rarely seems to be obstructed...