Merc C220 CDi Auto - comments - Tim
I am looking at buying a new C220 CDi Auto, I hope to test one next week, anyone have any comments on the car in particular noise, vibration, harshness? Is the diesel a clatter-box or refined?

I have driven an E Class with the same motor that wasn't bad but sounded like a pinking petrol at times.

The auto felt OK, the E was a little slow on the uptake from a stop, but moved OK on the road.

Thanks

Tim
Re: Merc C220 CDi Auto - comments - Bob H
There was a thread on 03 Sep about the problems with the E220cdi you may wish to read.
Re: Merc C220 CDi Auto - comments - Tim
I drove the E220 and it seemed fine, except the indicators didn't cancel, the engine was a tad noisy for a prestige motor, but other than that I thought it was OK - a bit on the big side for my needs.

I drove a V6 2.4 TDi Audi A6 today and fell in love with the engine and multitronic tranny - it didn't half shift for a 2.5, main down side was you felt every minor lump in the road on the A and minor Rds.

the Merc may be a moot point now :-)

Tim
Re: Merc C220 CDi Auto - comments - honest john
The thread dies, though. Colin Odell wanted to form an 'Angry Club' about problems he experienced with his E220CDI, was asked to list them, then didn't. What I can tell you is that the auto is a far better choice than the manual. You'd think s six speed manual would be perfect for keeping a diesel on the boil, but the five speed auto or the semi auto both suit this engine much better.

HJ
Re: Merc C220 CDi Auto - comments - Andy Bairsto
In this weeks auto bild in a three way test against the BMW 3,Audi 4,the C class
came last poor build quality ,motor no power ,and stupid high price .What we say in Germany they are a dear Golf.But they are the second top selling car so they cannot be all bad.Having had a c class I would never have another.
Colin sent me an e-mail, he is in litigation with Merc over a series of faults, leeks and corrosion, plus noise issues etc. He reckons he is not the only one.

I think I will give it a miss, and go read the JD Power survey again....or buy another Toyota, I never had those probs with them

TaTa Tim
Re: Merc C220 CDi Auto - comments - John G
The auto felt OK, the E was a little slow on the uptake from a >>stop, but moved OK on the road.

I have not driven a C220 auto but have driven other Mercedes automatics and have found the slow pick-up to be a feature of them. It's something one gets used to but it does feel strange at first.

John G
Well I drove the C220 CDi today - so new it was pre-PDI with delivery mileage. It cruised well on the motorway at 80, fairly quiet, slow on pick up on urban roads, and not a huge amount of punch on the motorway, but I guess it will loosen up.

However I drove an A6 2.5TDi Multitronic on Saturday, strewth! Did it shift! Smooth, quiet, quick, didn't sound like a diesel except a little at tick over, outstanding mid-range acceleration, safe overtaking, let down only by a lumpy ride on urban roads where the pot holes and ruts made themselves obvious (unlike the C Class) due to the sport suspension, but it reallt hung-on on bends and exit ramps etc.

Haven't had that much fun since I had a Golf GTi. I think the C Class just lost the race for my bank account.

Tim