Edinburgh? Advice please.... - THe Growler
This is kind of the reverse of the Winnebago thread. In mid July I have a business meeting with both a Kiwi and an American associate who are of some conderable importance to me. We normally hold this in London but got a bit tired of that and settled on Edinburgh, which yours truly blurted out as a possible location without any knowledge of the place. I shall be picking them up from LHR and driving up.

I would welcome any and all hints on how I can make sure the trip goes well. I recognise this is not a tourist site but any OT comments would be welcome. I have never been to Scotland so I have no idea what to expect.

Tks in advance.
+
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - CM
When you pick them up at LHR, get back on a plane and fly up.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - mark(NEScotland)
G, Follow CM's advice unless you fancy a 12h drive.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Altea Ego
Firstly, yes echo the fly them up. been up a bit lately, and its 1hour 15 minutes from Stanstead, easy jet about 50 quid each way, much cheaper than the train

Secondly (tho its not at the moment) the locals tell me it IS a tourist place and will be teeming with Japaneese and American visitors in the summer. Book your hotel now. The Radisson (just off the royal mile) is good.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - No Do$h
Agree with all of the above, bar the advice to go to Stanstead. BMI should be able to fly you direct from LHR terminal 1 to EHI for about £125 return (or less) if you book in advance. I have been back and forth like a fiddler's elbow over the last two weeks (hence the lack of No Dosh posts). On Friday, against the advice of others, a colleague chose to drive whilst I took the BMI option.

We both left the client in Edinburgh at 12:30 on Friday. I spent a leisurely couple of hours around the city, took a cab to the airport, picked up a present or 3 for Mrs ND and was at LHR by 17:00. My colleague finally dragged herself into East London at 00:45.....

www.flybmi.com for further details and prices.
Taxi from the airport to middle of Princess St is about 12 quid.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - JohnM52
Frequent (8 min service daytime - 15min evening, operates 24 hours) bus service (Express) from Airport to City Centre is 5 GBP (open return). Oh! and the main street is Princes Street (officially Princes' Street as in "street of Princes")

Enjoy your stay!

JohnM
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Chad.R
Yes, as mentioned above definitely try and fly up ... you may be able to get a carrier out of LHR for extra convenience.

www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/index.aspx

Book your hotel early i.e. now as it will get busy and all the *good* hotels will get booked up quickly. On the plus side you'll be missing the tattoo by a couple of weeks (early Aug).

Chad.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Chad.R
ND and I must have posted at the same time .....

Chad.
As an alternative to hotels, you may want to try service apartments. I can recommend Canon Court, situated about 1.5m North of Princes Street and about £4.50 by cab from Leith (Ahhh, Leith.... well worth the visit for the bars and the food. Recommend "Shore" for a small, intimate bar/pub with devine and sensibly priced seafood and a couple of quality beers. On Wednesday night they have a bit of fun when some local guys drop in with fiddles et al for a spot of live music. Great atmosphere. I found the following info online:

THE SHORE BAR AND RESTAURANT 3 The Shore Leith Edinburgh 0131 553 5080 fax 553 5080
Eat and drink in the traditional pub, or sample the fine fresh Scottish cuisine in the elegant attached restaurant. Charming and enjoyable ambience, music some evenings.
map reference mailto:enquiries@the.shore.ukf.net

Details of Canon Court at www.canoncourt.com
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I'm an expat from Edinburgh as some may guess from my user name.
Yup the best option is a cheap flight. In light traffic and at reasonable speeds it would be around a 10 hour trip by car.
If someone else is paying or a treat is due, for the accomodation check out Channings Hotel. It is in a quiet backstreet, near Princes Street and was originally a row of Edwardian town houses. Not cheap but worth it.
Check their web site.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Should have also said it is one of the most attractive cities and a great place to visit with umpteen free art galleries and museums. 200 plus restaurants , great pubs - try Rose Street.
Walks up Arthur's Seat , Braid Hills, Blackford Hills, Calton Hill all provide superb views.
Can be cool with a predominantly easterly wind.
Yup echo that, chosen a good place G.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - AngryJonny
I drove up to Edinburgh from London for the festival last year. Left Ealing at around 9AM, stopped at Derby (to pick up a friend) and then again at Gretna for some food. Finally arrived in Edinburgh at about 5PM or thereabouts. You want to make sure you get on well with your associates if you're going to be sat in a car with them for eight hours.

Then again, getting to Stanstead from Heathrow is no fun either is it?
Stanstead was an example!!!! of course it makes sense to fly from Heathrow. (mind you I would happily spend an hour on the m25 than an hour at heathrow - got to be hell on earth that place.)
Gentlemen:
Much food for thought here and greatly appreciated, as is ever the spirit of the BR. I shall certainly pursue the lines of suggestion your posts have offered and post the outcome.

I have long heard Edinburgh is a fine city and look forward to visiting it. I take your counsel regarding hotel bookings at that time of year and will arrange those in good time.

The drive does indeed sound the last thing we need (me ex MNL, two ex CPT and another ex SFO) jet-lagged and all, so sorry motoring people looks like the plane. Seems like you have good deals over there on flights anyway.

Just one thing. Growlette says Dadi if I have to wear one of those kilt things I'm not Mel Gibson I need something under it. Is that OK?

Well, she said it not me, so Moddies do your worst.

+

Edinburgh? Advice please.... - NowWheels
Just one thing. Growlette says Dadi if I have to wear
one of those kilt things I'm not Mel Gibson I need
something under it. Is that OK?

Growlette, you're a spoilsport! Scottish women deserve a chance to see whether there is really a V8 under the hood ...
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Jonathan {p}
Growler

One to see...

www.whisky-heritage.co.uk/

Great for jetlag!

Jonathan
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Mark (RLBS)
>>Well, she said it not me, so Moddies do your worst.

No chance. You deal with what she calls you, I'm not getting involved.
No chance. You deal with what she calls you, I\'m not
getting involved.

Have to second that one. \"Dadi\"? What on earth is that all about???
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - spinner
I wouldn't advise driving to Auld Reekie either, although it can be done in 7 hours comfortably, 5 1/2 at a push (illegal speeds required).

Places to visit:
Scottish Malt Whiskey Society - the proper stuff (60%) from a single cask, sitting in a nice leather armchair.
Diggers/Athletic arms - best pint in Edinburgh/or the Caley Sampler nearby - the joys of Gorgie/Fountainbridge.

Stay somewhere within walking distance of pubs/restaurants - either Bruntsfield, or the High St if you want something with a bit more class.
There are apparently some good restaurants here (I've yet to find them ;-) ).
Seriously, most of them are located in Leith shorefront, which is quite gentrified - avoid Leith Walk later at night though (get a taxi).

Edinburgh? Advice please.... - sorrera
Americans seem to love Edinburgh especially the castle. Tell them they you have notified the castle of their presence and they will fire a salute at 1PM in their honour.
Loads of golf courses near by and around the city. St Andrews also around an hour by car. Again always a winner for Americans. (If they are really into golf you could stay at Dalmahoy, just outside the city)
Impress them at the Witchery restaraunt (it also has a few bedrooms) just by the castle on The Royal Mile, very atmospheric.
Do one of the "spooky" walks under the city, good for a history lesson and to find out why it is called Auld reekie - gard a loo(sp).
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Nortones2
if you haven't been to Edinburgh, i think you'll be pleasantly staggered (mind the whisky) by how attractive it is. As a counterpoint, the guided walks sorrera referred to, especially around the Rookeries, and down to Holyrood, the royal palace, are worthwhile: try this link as a taster: www.oldandsold.com/articles04/article1531.shtml
>>>>Americans seem to love Edinburgh especially the castle. Tell them they you have notified the castle of their presence and they will fire a salute at 1PM in their honour.

Is that really true? My US partner would be blown over by that. You know how the Septics are about history etc.

Just to clear that one up "Dadi" is a Filipino term of endearment. It is not what you may be thinking.

Well all this is great.

Motoring motoring, must keep that in mind. Some great suggestions all. Many thanks indeed.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - sorrera
The gun is fired every day at one, but your guests dont have to know that! It will make them jump if they are anywhere near city centre though!
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - henry k
The drive does indeed sound the last thing we need (me
ex MNL, two ex CPT and another ex SFO) jet-lagged and
all, so sorry motoring people looks like the plane. Seems like
you have good deals over there on flights anyway.

>>
We certainly do have good deals if you book early
If only there was a simple transfer bus, not the first place that might come to mind but remember Southampton Airport is an easy drive about a hour by car from LHR. Nice little airport with mainline station 50 metres away and cheap parking 5mins away.
Situated half way from LHR to No Dosh ranch

They have cheap flts to EDI
See www3.flybe.com

Example if you book early
Outbound Thu 1 Jul 2004
Southampton (Depart) Edinburgh (Arrive)
Fare

07:00 08:20 £6.60 .........becomes £24 each way.
14:00 15:20 £16.60 .........becomes £34 each way
17:30 18:50 £16.60
They add £4 CC charge but you can play online to see what is available.
Book it online. Non refundable.

Car rental at SOU below so one way drop off may be possible
+ 44 (0)23 80652059 :National / Alamo
+ 44 (0)23 80616061 :Avis
+ 44 (0)23 80653000 :Hertz
+ 44 (0)23 80650537 :Budget

Next meet could be in Jersey and fly from SOU ?
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Martin Wall
If you are after good food a friend of mine from Edinburgh swears by The Witchery: www.thewitchery.com
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Colin M
As a pilot a pet hate of mine is the spelling of "Stanstead". It's STANSTED. Seems a very common internet forum typo but then spelling standards are generally appalling these days.

www.stansted.co.uk

Rant mode off ;-)

I would fly, not drive. If your colleagues are buying long haul tickets into Heathrow, chances are they will be able to add the domestic portion from LHR to EDI for very little extra especially if they fly on BA.

Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Welliesorter
I've flown to Edinburgh several times and found the experience to be completely hassle free with British Midland and Go (before it was swallowed by EasyJet). If it's your own money and you're feeling tight don't bother with a taxi into town. The buses are extremely regular and it's bus lane most of the way to the city centre. They even run in the early morning and late evening. There's a thing called an Airsaver ticket that gives you combined travel on airport and other Lothian buses for the rest of the day.

On the other hand, if you make a good choice of city centre hotel, you're likely to find that most sights and facilities are within easy walking distance.

Edinburgh? Advice please.... - alex

What Colin M says is true. When you buy a long-haul ticket outside Europe you will find the airlines will probably charge a flat price to any destination in the UK. In other words, London might cost the same as Edinburgh if you book a through ticket.

BA (and members of its Oneworld alliance) will quote through fares so too will airlines who are members of the rival Star Alliance who would use Bmi (a Star Alliance member) for the LHR to EDI sector.

But I must ask ... why bother coming to London at all ?
Surely it's easier for you and your associates to bypass London and fly direct to Edinburgh.

The big European carriers like Air France, KLM and Lufthansa all offer connecting flights to Edinburgh from their hubs at Paris CDG, Amsterdam and Frankfurt. So you and your associates might have an easier trip (you won't have the bother of changing terminals at LHR from T3 or T4 to T1) and might even find you can secure a cheaper fare.

Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Andrew-T
Growler - >I recognise this is not a tourist site <. you must be joking. Edinburgh may well be the touriest place in Scotland, and July is a fairly busy time. Doesn't mean things will be difficult, but don't expect a nice tranquil break!
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Peter D
Well Growler I'm in the office with a view of Edingurgh City so If you need any assistance feel free to email me. Corporate rate hotels available out of town Hotels or excellent guest houses in the West End ( Of Edinburgh that is ) Regards Peter

www.1stEdinburghHotels.co.uk
www.edinburgh.org
www.visitscotland
Further

Radisson £87 Room Only
George £85 B&B
Hilton Caledonian £110 Room Only
Roxbourgh £89 B&B
HollyRood £89 B&B
Marriot £79 B&B

Regards

Peter
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Cardew(USA)
Growler,
Sorry to be a little negative but apart from the Castle area I think Edinburgh is pretty nondescript(SWMBO comes from nearby) and in July will be full of tourists.

The spectacular area of Scotland is the Western Highlands - Oban, Fort William etc and that will impress your Americans. However that also will be full of tourists.

Flying up is the easiest option, but if you do drive it is worth calling in to the Lake District if you have time.

C
Out of Town
From www.marriotthotels.com Regards Peter
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Nortones2
Nondescript? Oban and Fort William may be scenically interesting, briefly,but the combined scenic, architectural, historical and culinary interest of Edinburgh can't be compared with those dumps! not to mention that its drier than the west. Most of the activity in Fort William seems to consist of signing on, with related non-mainstream activity. Oban gives excellent views of the rain, as it proceeds east:)
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - spinner
I didn't get the 'non-descript' part either.
Perhaps if seen in the dark?
It's called the 'Athens of the North' and for good reason, there isn't anywhere else like it.
Strange smell in the air from the breweries though.

Beware potholes in the the very poorly surfaced roads though.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - rg
Parking in central EDI is dire, with merciless parking attendants..

rg
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - NowWheels
Parking in central EDI is dire, with merciless parking attendants..

looks like poor Growler is going to do a whole trip wothout a car, never mind a V8!
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Ivor E Tower
From memory, the only car park I found in Edi was the railway station one, so you need to arrive very early or very late if you want a space! Even most (all?) the hotels do not have parking.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - puntoo
I regularly go to Edinburgh on business and the only areas of interest (ie nightlife) are around the royal mile. everywhere else seems to be very quiet.

I prefer the area around the grass market (Apex city hotel, very modern with 32inch tv's and dvd players and quiet bars near by) to the radisson (the building is poorly ventilated and the streets are noisy).

Expect to pay about £20 to get from the airport to the hotel (unless you want to take the bus).

If I was there for a weekend I would certainly hire a car and do some exploring.
The “out of Town Marriot Dalmahoy” are doing a stay and golf deal in August for £55/night and two rounds of golf. One on the Championship Course after 3 PM and one on the old West Course. They collect and deliver directly to the airport on request and I believe they do an Edinburgh City Shuttle service.

Corporate rates are £79 B&B and Executive Suites for £99 B&B

I’m pretty sure I can arrange a golfing deal for July if required.

No worries! I hate driving in UK. So many petty rules compared with where I live and you can't pay off the cops when you caught!

Nope, I shall planing it, probably via Air Chance all the way.

Again thanks to all those who contributing valuable information. I am out of town right now but when I get back to base I will get started on the arrangements.
Edinburgh? Advice please.... - Welliesorter
Just to reinforce the previous advice, I'm in Edinburgh now and drove here, only because I wanted the use of my car while in Scotland. I took the slightly unorthodox but scenic M6-A7-A38 route and the journey here was fine. The roads in the city are in appalling condition and driving on the cobblestones in the New Town is an alarming experience in the wet, however good your suspension may be.

Fly here and use the plentiful buses and taxis in the city.