Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - RB
This may surprise some folk... A chap fitted blue LED windscreen washer lights, as used by boy racers et al. He was seen by the Police who, understandably IMHO, fined him. The motorist, who is too old to be a boy racer even though his car is an ageing Fiesta, didn't want to make a fuss, and stumped up the fine. But at the same time, he casually enquired about the legality of these little passing phases.

As you will see from the report, the Police do not consider them to be illegal after all, even though they are blue lights on a civi car facing in a forward direction!

www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=...3
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - superstyler
i saw one of these "treck africa" land rovers with blue beacons on top recently, it was kitted out with superwinch,water carriers,spare wheels and loads of external roll cage, as i aproached it i thought it was a fire and rescue truck. if there not used in this country is it legal to have them fitted?
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Dwight Van Driver
Firstly the blue neon washer. RT Law is becoming more and more complex as Act upon Act is being churned out so we are becoming a nanny state and BiB, with all else that is going on, will find it hard to keep abreast of things.

Road Vehicles Lighting Regs 2002 states that any light other than red can be displayed to the front. Must not flash, swivel or move. Providing the washer light did not do this then there is no offence. In a previous thread someone did mention that these forward blue lights were an advertisement among people of a certain calling but I won't go into that.

The Regs also state that no vehicle other than an emergency vehicle shall be fitted with a blue warning beacon or one resembling such. There are exceptions mainly connected with the Emergency Services only. Strangely as far as Mountain rescue only the RAF are mentioned. Doubtful SS what you describe is lawful in UK but abroad who knows.

DVD
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Pugugly {P}
didn't it use to mention Pit Rescue vehicles, mind you witht he decline of the coal industry....
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Garethj
DVD's post: >>"(lights) must not flash, swivel or move"

Interesting point of law, but what about the headlights that move with the steering wheel on the Citroen DS and Tatra 87?

Gareth
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Morris Ox
I think you have to see this in context. The boys in (official) blue were having a crackdown on the whole boy racer thing in a particular part of Nottingham, and this chap basically got tarred with the same brush as the backwards baseball cap brigade. I don't think they necessarily had the confusion vivid blue lights can cause in mind when they pulled him up.

For me, the issue isn't so much the colour as the distraction these things can cause. I've seen some over-cooked Saxos with back window lighting displays which make you think you've warped your way to Vegas.

Annoyingingly distracting, yes. But is it illegal?
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - hillman
I saw a car the other night which had what looked to be neon strips outlining the radiator and bottom edge at the front. It looked very attractive.
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - NickCUK
Following several TV progs where they've cooked food in the engine compartment over long journies, maybe the neon advertises the fact that they are carrying kebabs or similar refreshments ?
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - SR
Re. DVD's earlier post on the legality of forward-facing coloured lights, does anyone know of this is only when fitted in addition to the normal white lights? I saw a Ford Focus last night running on sidelights, but the bulbs had been replaced by green ones. From a distance it would have been impossible to tell it was a car approaching.
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - mrcur
The blue lights cause an unnecessary distraction, therefore the driver of a vehicle fitted with the blue lights is driving without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, the offence is inconsiderate driving ... if the vehicle is causing an annoyance to members of the public then it should be seized... sounds fair enough to me ;-)
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - buzbee
"if the vehicle is causing an annoyance to members of the public then it should be seized... sounds fair enough to me"

What about Saabs with headlamps on, on a nice sunny day like today?
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - NorthernKev {P}
Do you honestly get annoyed by them?

I think they're a bit silly but that's it. Are you advocating that blue washer jets are as bad as tailgating?

Think we should have less things banned and a more concerted effort on dangerous things, but hey!

Kev
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - puntoo
can you make the washer lights flash so that you can pretend to be a police car ?
The distraction is the annoyance: blue light approaching in the rearview mirror = emergency vehicle and nothing else.

"> Are you advocating that blue washer jets are as bad as tailgating?<"
I've missed the relevance to tailgating somehow ... but obviously the answer is no.

If it's an unnecessary distraction then it's potentially dangerous.
"Do you honestly get annoyed by them?"

I should have written Volvo headlamps on when not needed.

But back to the question, yes I do. Putting on silly headlamps when not needed causes an undue amount of attention to that car and so is an unnecessary driving distraction. Extra concentration on one thing means less on others.
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - pdc {P}
But back to the question, yes I do. Putting on silly
headlamps when not needed causes an undue amount of attention to >> that car and so is an unnecessary driving distraction. Extra concentration on one thing means less on others.

And therein is the reason why I have my headlights on when driving on the motorway regardless of time of day or conditions. Most people pay attention and it reduces the number of muppets who attempt to take my life by pulling infront of me without having checked that it was safe to do so.

Next time you're on the motorway, check in your mirror and tell me which vehicles are more prominent. Those with lights on or those without.

I always thought the number 1 function of headlights was to be seen, and not to enable you to see with.
"I have my headlights on when driving on the motorway regardless of time of day or conditions" --- above.

Dipped headlights in the outside lane of a three lane motorway shine on the rear-view mirrors of the cars in the two inside lanes. Having lights on in the middle lane does it to the inside lane. That is the nature of the dipped headlamp design. The beam is not dipped to the nearside.

Is that a good idea? Not in my book. Dipping the inside mirror at night and losing rearview visibility is bad enough without using it in daylight.
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Kuang
Bear in mind that the law in Sweden has required the use of headlights even in the daytime since the late 70s, and so most cars just turn them on for you nowadays. It might not actually be a concerted effort just to annoy you ;)
A Saab with headlights switched on is unlikely to be mistaken for an emergency vehicle.
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - frostbite
A Saab with headlights switched on is unlikely to be mistaken
for an emergency vehicle.

>>

Nonsense. There are many circumstances where the lights are pretty well all you can see.
">Nonsense. There are many circumstances where the lights are pretty well all you can see. <"

Blue flashing lights make a vehicle very visible because that's what they are designed to do, night and day. I can't say that dipped headlights in daylight differentiates emergency vehicles when other vehicles also use dipped headlights during daylight .. but perhaps you can tell me otherwise?

I (try to) drive considerately and do not deliberately distract other drivers, I expect the same in return, is that really too much to ask?
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Dwight Van Driver
Should have made it more clear RB. Concentrating on the wiper lamp.

Any lamp other than the obligatory front position/running/dip/head/fog lamps, which have to be white or yellow under the Regs, can be anything other than red to the front.

DVD
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Fullchat
To answer RB's query further up regarding coloured lights in the rear window and also undercar ultra violet lighting etc.

In simple terms the offence is "showing other than a red light to the rear" of course number plate lights and indicators are catered for under different legislation. Thats a £30 fixed penalty. Providing the light can be seen from the rear.

In a nutshell any colour you like at the front other than red providing it does not flash or rotate etc unless emergency vehicle, mines rescue etc. However obligatory lights must be as prescribed in the legislation.

It wont be long before the Kevins overstep the mark. Saw a car the other day with washer jets which changed colour between blue red and yellow. "Bingo, got one at last". Middle aged driver. "I'm sorry Officer its my nephews car, I've borrowed it and I cant switch them off." He was from London. Showed him true northern hospitality. "Lift your bonnet". "There you are sir that should give your nephew something to do when you get back!"

But all this is nothing new. "Remember Nightrider and musical air horns . "Ka ka karacha". Have I spelled that right?????

Fullchat
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - No Do$h
La Cucaracha. lit. "The Cockroach"
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Fullchat
Now I've seen it again in the flesh - spot on!!!!!

Fullchat
Police do U-turn on blue washer lights - Mattster
Come on, how can anyone seriously think a couple of tiny blue dots on wipers are distracting? On the other hand, those infernal blueish headlights which in some situations (undulating roads, etc.) do appear to "flash".....

Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
The lights are not on the wipers.

Yes, the "infernal blueish headlights" are also distracting.

I think drivers of 30 years ago must have had much better night vision to deal with the ineffective headlights of the time ;-)