Taxing and V5 issues - help! - owen
I?ve got a fairly complicated scenario that I?m hoping that the backroom can help me out on:

I?ve just bought a car. The previous owner only had the car for four weeks, and has sent the top of the V5 off to register the car in his name. He hasn?t received the new log book back yet. All I?ve got is the bottom green bit of the V5, which is blank (i.e. he hasn?t filled in his name).

The previous owner will (hopefully) forward the new logbook when he receives it, at which point I will then send it off re-registering it in my name.

In the meantime, the tax runs out at the end of March.

How do I go about taxing the vehicle? Should I fill in the green bit with my details? Will this allow me to tax the vehicle, bearing in mind I do not have the reminder slip?
Taxing and V5 issues - help! - RichardW
Owen,

Your situation is not all that different to normally buying the car - you have the uncompleted green part of the V5, so I would just go to the PO tax the car with the (now filled in!) green slip (you will need to fill in a form in lieu of the remonder - V10 I think), and the PO will send the slip off for you to get the new V5. DVLA might realise they have issued 2 V5's in a month (but probably not) in which case, if they have not received the top part back from previous owner, they may contact him to inform him that someone else is trying to register the car. If in doubt - act dumb!

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but.....how come he only kept the car a month.....?

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Taxing and V5 issues - help! - owen
Cheers Richard, i was hoping that it would be as simple as that, but anticipated some pointless red tape tripping me up at some point!

I did share your concerns about the length of time he had the car for. He did provide a credible reason (too long to bore you with here), and everthing else checked out 100%, so i had to take him at face value - time will tell if i was right to or not!