I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Motorwayman
Hi Members

We are going to buy car for our daughter for her 21st birthday present. She's in love with the Mazda RX 8 and we've got the brochures a few months back, and since then have seen the car in the flesh.

Tomorrow, we were hoping to place an order for this car. However, as luck would have it I've just read an interesting HJ article about 'WHAT'S BAD,' about this car. I could not believe what I read and asked my family to confirm that I was not mistaken.

Our daughter will use the car mainly for very short journeys and this may be the massive problem that has resulted in us reconsidering placing an order for this car/steam engine?

Please let me know if we are living in the 21st century? Surely they cannot be serious!!

Read the link and tell me it's not true!!!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Marc
One of my colleagues has one of these. He's never mentioned any special running instructions as such. He's very pleased with the car from what I can gather.

There is an owners club/online forum somewhere for RX8s - suggest you try and find it.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Phil G
Why would you buy an RX8 for very short journeys? It makes no sense. Yes it will be bad for it. It'll be bad for most cars. Less bad for diesels, so get her a Yaris D4D.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Marc
www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/

If you're serious about parting with your cash it may be worthwhile signing up to the above and asking some owners
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Imagos
if this is true it would be like going back to the dark ages and any buyer should AVOID this car at at all costs. no short runs? thats laughable!

an explanation please HJ?
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - AdrianM
With respect - why on earth buy a car like this for short journeys? It needs to be thrashed to within an inch of its life;-)...every day!!

It would seem that the short journeys are bad news for any modern cars.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Morris Ox
It is true, and I'd recommend following at least some of those guidelines for most cars - particularly the business about not subjecting a car to a life of cold starts and short hops. In these conditions the engine is running constantly on rich mixture, which causes carbon build ups in the cylinder head and crucifies your catalytic converter.

The rotor seals are basically a weak point of the rotary engine design, which is why you should take these extra precautions to look after them. It isn't about to go pop - it's just a different engine design and needs looking after differently.

Not sure I'd give a 21 year-old a car this fast anyway...
It is true, and I'd recommend following at least some of
those guidelines for most cars - particularly the business about not
subjecting a car to a life of cold starts and short
hops. In these conditions the engine is running constantly on rich
mixture, which causes carbon build ups in the cylinder head and
crucifies your catalytic converter.
The rotor seals are basically a weak point of the rotary
engine design, which is why you should take these extra precautions
to look after them. It isn't about to go pop -
it's just a different engine design and needs looking after differently.
Not sure I'd give a 21 year-old a car this fast
anyway...

Morris Ox; Have you ever seen a warning like this about another car?

All other members: I will try and answer your queries;

We know it's a fast car and loads to ensure - our daughter has three and half years of faultless drving experience and she is mature enough to treat this car with respect and also treat the highway code with respect.

Re the short trips generally - she will park the car at the local railway station about a mile down the road in order to go to work. Of course she will take the car on motorways, etc. However, on the whole the car is to be used for the very short trips.

She has fallen in love with the car.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Chuffer Dandridge
Patently if you really need to buy a sports car for a one mile journey, this is not the one to get. I'm sure there are other sports cars on the market.

Or the sensible, economical, and environmentally friendly option would be to cycle, or walk, to the station, and keep the car for longer journeys.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Morris Ox
Morris Ox; Have you ever seen a warning like this about
another car?

Few car manufacturers will print it in a manner as plain as HJ, but if you check most owners' handbooks hard enough you'll see occasionally subtle warnings about what not to do. despite advertising that tries to create the impression that life with a car is a hassle free existence that's only if you feed and water it regularly.

I don't want to sound like a party pooper any more than the next man, but what were her three years of faultless driving experience in?

And it it's only a mile to the station then the solution is to walk there and enjoy the car at weekends
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Welliesorter
she will park the car
at the local railway station about a mile down the road...

I am horribly unfit and lead a woefully sedentary existence. My main form of exercise is standing up occasionally. Nonetheless, for a journey of that distance I'd just walk.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - BazzaBear {P}
>> The rotor seals are basically a weak point of the
rotary
>> engine design, which is why you should take these extra
precautions
>> to look after them. It isn't about to go pop
-
>> it's just a different engine design and needs looking after
differently.
>>
Morris Ox; Have you ever seen a warning like this about
another car?

No - you won't see that warning about any other car, but that's because no other car has a rotary engine in it. Different type of engine = different rules for it's use.
Generally speaking the engine 'should' be more reliable than a normal engine, since it has far less moving parts, but the rotor seals, as Morris Ox says, are a definite weak point of the design.
If you look at this page:
www.monito.com/wankel/rce.html
there's an explanation of the engine. Particularly helpfulis the second diagram down. You can see the rotor in the middle, with it's triangular shape. At each point of the triangle is the rotor seal. As you can see, this is a very narrow point, which is why it's such a weak point. Mazda have done a lot of work on the materials used for the rotor seals, but it's always going to cause issues I think, the combustion chamber sealed with such a thin band of metal.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - volvoman
Coincidentally, the Mazda garage I'm buying from has a very impressive looking cut away rotary engine on display. I was playing around with it with my son and noticed the seals you speak of as we rotated it. Although far from technically minded, it immediately occurred to me that they could possibly be liable to undue wear/tear with very costly consequences. Not sure if all Mazda dealers have this mock-up on display but it was very interesting to see.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Andrew-T
>She has fallen in love with the car.<

Well then, M'man, there's only one scenario, isn't there? Pragmatism comes well down the list.

When I sold my red 205XS to an 18-year-old girl's father, and I watched her face when she first saw it, I knew I had a certain sale.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - bradgate
Motorwayman,

If your Daughter is a good driver, I can't see a problem with driving a high performance car at her age. After all, how old is Kimi Raikkonen?

She may, however, benefit from some performance driving instruction if she is to enjoy her new toy fully while remaining safely in control.

As for the issue of buying a RX-8 for very short trips, this seems to me, as the owner of a (properly used) performance car myself, to be completely pointless - rather like all those Range Rovers in London. With all due respect, the phrase 'more money than sense' springs to mind.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - teabelly
It depends on how long it takes to warm up for a start. If it gets up to operating temperature within 2 miles then it would be ok for most people.

If it can never be stopped without warming up thoroughly then buying supermarket petrol while visiting the local supermarket is a non starter, ditto buying petrol at your local petrol station, you would always have to do it further into a journey. What about filling up at a petrol station at a motorway service station when you want to use the rest area as well as the petrol station?

Bearing in mind she's still fairly young and she will do short runs this mazda is a totally inappropriate car. Have you checked the insurance premium she would (you would) be paying? If she has a few years ncb then it might be reasonable.

If she wants something a bit different then a smart roadster might be a better bet as it has a smaller engine. If boot space would be a problem then an mx5 might be a good compromise?
teabelly
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - henry k
BMW C1 for the station run ?
Then stop worrying about the RX8 wear.

Do the station run, stop worrying and let the next owner have the problems?
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - P 2501
1 mile to a station and back everyday??!! What a waste.

I think its time to take the young lady to one side and have a quiet word. Halfords have got some nice bicycles in at the moment...

I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - daveyjp
I'd been looking at these but that has put me off. We have a one drive/two car situation so quite often my car is moved to allow the other car to be used. Does this mean I would have to push the Mazda in and out of the drive, or do I have to drive a couple of miles every time to warm it up?!
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - BobbyG
I am sure the local thieves would not notice the same "sportscar" parked in the railway station car park every day for hours on end.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Phoenicks
how about everyone stops going on about his daughter driving one mile (if i had a daughter i dont think i'd want her to walk a mile in the current day and age on a dark night) and also doing short journeys.

Also if she likes the RX8 she's probably not going to be that happy with a clio/yaris/206/arosa/fabia/ibiza before everyone starts jumping on the 'howabout this car instead band wagon'. At least if we suggest something lets pick a car in the same class.

How about we just discuss the car?!

I think the RX8 is a great car. It depends on how long you're going to keep it. If you service it regularly you wont invalidate the warranty and that should cover the car for the first 3 years. So the engine problem shouldnt arise in those first 3 years. And then you might sell it, so no problems at all really!

Instead of being practical, cars should also be about desire and want (especially at age 21), and if thats what she wants and you can afford it then go for it. I wish someone would have bought me an RX8 when i was 21. Lucky Girl!!
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Clanger
"1 mile to a station and back everyday??!! What a waste."

Absolutely on the button there. And how long would the car last in the station car park?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - sierraman
do you mean ignore the warnings,knacker the engine and let someone else buy its later life problems?Great attitude,must remember not to buy a car off anyone called Henry.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - AdrianM
I think you've slightly missed the point - the response posed two suggestions, you take one or the other.

But regardless.....as for attitude - surely caveat emptor applies in the second-hand car market esp re performance cars, more so performance cars owned by young people, even more so performance cars owned by young people with more money than sense;-)
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - AR-CoolC
M/wayman

Can you adopt me as your son ? My birthday is coming up and I do a 55 mile each way commute. I can put the RX8 to good use.

:-)
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Roger Jones
* The RX8: curiously ugly, in my opinion, with little sense of unity in the overall design.

* Warming up to full operating temperature: it takes my cars 7 miles to get to that point.

* Journey of 1 mile: 20 minutes' walk, at most, with all the attendant benefits ? personal health, environment, a fractional but real contribution to reducing traffic congestion, etc. Well worth the "effort".

* "Surely they cannot be serious!!" Surely, Motorwayman, you can't be serious? If she were my daughter and I wanted to spend that much on her, it would go straight into a "save for my first house" fund, inaccessible until needed for that purpose. Sorry, but your post has brought out the Victor Meldrew in me.
I've also had a good look at the RX8 and liked it a lot aside from the ridiculously small boot opening which resembles a letter box and means getting rigid objects like suitcases would be a problem. That's a real pity 'cos there's good room inside for 4 adults and if you were going away for a weekend/short break I reckon you'd have real touble getting even a modest amount of luggage in.

Compared to the Celica, the boot space is much less usable and this is the only thing I have to say about the RX8.

As for driving it just a couple of miles a day, I wouldn't do it but it's not my car and if MMan wants to buy it for his girl, good for him - it'll be a little less for Gordon B to grab off him when he finally departs our world.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Altea Ego
Just curious, how much does it cost to insure a 21 year old for an RX8?
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - tunacat
I don't have the magazine to hand, but 'Car' magazine are running an RX8 as a long-termer. Can't remember whether they've mentioned the warming-up issue, but I seem to think in the latest edition they mentioned about you having to check the oil very regularly and frequently and about how much it was getting through (?).

Certainly they mentioned the petrol consumption - something around 16 mpg seems to have stuck in my memory.

It is a striking-looking car though - I hope the railway station car park's got good security...
Yeah - it could well be a target for thieves, vandals and the like in a car park all day. Mate of mine with a nice BMW 325 has just had both his wing mirrors stolen!!! Can you believe it?
Oh, and just noticed it's only a 1 mile trip to/from the station each day. Given all of the above, is it really going to be worth driving a mile?
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - hxj

In leicestershire with three years ncb about £800 per annum, not too bad.

My 15 year old daughter has fallen in love with the Z4 parked on her way to school, any chance of anyone adopting her?
Hey guys, at least the girls are showing good taste, My 14 year old son is looking at Novas/Corsas etc on one hand, and I notice he has ebay bookmarked at blue leds for cars page

(and yes the baseball cap is on the wrong way round and trousers at half mast)

Re the one mile journey to the station - this is just plain silly. If I was 21, with an RX8, my one mile journey would end up as a half an hour blast round the back lanes to the station.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Jane
Agree with:

AdrianM
Welliesorter
Bradgate
P 2501
BobbyG
Volvoman

A 1 mile trip is something that should be done on a bicycle not in a sportscar. Think of the environment....think of the engine!!

If your station car park is anything like ours, I would expect the car to be gone sometime during the first day. Either that or it'll have a few nice new 'go faster' stripes down the sides done with the help of a key (advise you to get silver....scratches don't show so much!)!

--
Fill what's empty, empty what's full and scratch where it itches!
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Robbie
Hey guys, at least the girls are showing good taste, My
14 year old son is looking at Novas/Corsas etc on one
hand, and I notice he has ebay bookmarked at blue leds
for cars page

I don't think you are giving your son the credit he deserves. Renault Family {P} Junior is being totally realistic. Instead of drooling over some unobtainable exotic, he has his eyes fixed firmly on something his old man might buy him. Or, if he can save his pocket money and get a part-time job, he might manage to get one himself. If Dad will fork out for the insurance.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Algernon
I had two rotarys, years ago when they were less developed, being a little R100 and an RX4; with carburettors with automatic chokes too, to flood the combustion chambers when cold. They had their faults but the engines seemed bomb proof and went a bit for the time, being a kind of Q-car.

Now, while they did their share of across town commuting and longer trips, I never walk anywhere, so they must have done many very short journeys - as does any car I have, bar purely hobby - and I incline to think this issue is over stated, in respect of any kind of petrol engine.

Petrol consumption was an issue then, one could get the RX4 down to 12 mpg.

I did take care to have the best of oil, level frequently checked.

I echo other contributers who wish someone could have bought me whatever would have been the equivalent when we were 21. Come to think of it, I would not mind if someone bought me an RX8 now!
Bottom line: She has fallen in love with the car (emotive, not pragmatic)

If someone can afford to buy their daughter £20k's worth of depreciating-value present, knowing full-well that on workdays she won't be able to touch it, see it, or BE seen sitting in it for the majority of anyone's waking hours, but instead it be unattended and on view to those who vandalise, steal, or just accidentally damage due to carelessness, this must be an equally non-pragmatic decision, so I can't think why the cost of potential engine repairs would be bothering them.

I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - patently
OK, we seem to be agreed that a 1 mile per day commute by car is not sensible and that, even given this, an RX-8 is a poor choice.

Nevertheless, it is still MM's money to do with as he wishes. Personally, I would walk. However, I applaud MM's daughter for trying to get something distinctive and individual rather than settling for a plain eurobox that looks like 99.999% of the other cars on the road.

I also find it a depressing comment on the state of this country (a) that a strong reason for not buying a distinctive aspirational car is that jealous vandals will damage it and (b) that we seem to accept this as "just one of those things".
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - JAJ
Patently - agree with you. It's MM's money so let him do what he wants with it. Otherwise somebody will bring the 4x4 type argument into this one too.

He also never asked for any comments on the choice of car or the purpose - he was questioning whether the RX8 is 'fit for purpose'. I can't believe that each of the eco-warriers criticising him hasn't also jumped into their cars to nip to the shops, etc. All of us use our cars for short runs when there is a more viable alternative. When I lived overseas I regularly saw people drive from shop to shop at the larger malls.

The question he posed was 'Is the RX8's engine design so flawed that this sort of use is not viable?'
Utimately it still just comes down to money.

You could drive to the station in a Perodua Nippa,
You could drive to the station in a Pagani Zonda.

You could drive to the station in a car which, for this pattern of use, the costs MAY end up including repairs to the engine.

Whether it's viable is really just whether you're bothered about paying the particular cost for the particular car you desire.

;-)
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Mapmaker
I wonder whether he'll buy her a caravan to go behind it! Then he could pay lots of tax twice.

Lucky girl. I'm up for adoption too... (but see qualifier below)

It's not how I'd spend my money, but I'll defend his right to spend his money the way he wants to the hilt. It's good for the economy for people to throw away their money on depreciating rubbish ;-) (Which is not a comment on this particular car, but a comment on new cars in general.)

It's probably not how I'd travel one mile, but I'll defend his right to encourage his daughter to drive to the station - we don't know how dangerous the road is for cycling, nor how dark it is, nor how lonely, nor how often it rains.

What would the outcry from BRers have been if the title of this thread was 'Gordon Brown to ban car journeys of only 1 mile & to ban young girls from driving sports cars.' Discuss.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - stealerswheel
Motorwayman please tell me you are winding us up. You are not seriously considering splashing the thick end of £20k on a poser mobile designed to keep little missy from messing up her beautifully coiffured barnet on the way to slumming it with the proletariat in the cattle boxes that pass for modern trains? Get real...either point her in the direction of something that she can afford off her own wages or else suggest that she car share, take a taxi or even (shock horror) take the bus. If she wants a flash car then let her save up and buy one herself. She is twenty-one for goodness sake...stop treating her like a spoiled child.
Stop beating about the bush, mate. Say what you think.
After looking at some of his previous posts I reckon this is a windup.

He's probably laughing his socks off at the responses.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - BobbyG
I second that.
What would the outcry from BRers have been if the title
of this thread was 'Gordon Brown to ban car journeys of
only 1 mile & to ban young girls from driving sports
cars.' Discuss.

Beautifully put, mapmaker. Thank you.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - BrianW
I gave up on the idea of motorcycling to the station and getting the train to London when in about the first three weeks I had the top box forced and my helmet and gloves pinched and then the padlock cut off and the whole bike pinched (funnily enough it was dumped in a station car park 15 miles down the line: there's no direct train service between the two stations so the thief obviously just couldn't be bothered to change trains).
Since then I've just biked the whole way.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - PoloGirl
I had 3 years of faultless driving behind me when I was 21.

Then I crashed... and crashed.... and crashed.

I love Polo because he's all mine and my parents taught me the value of owning things for yourself, not being in debt and not having things handed to me on a plate. My guess is this daughter would be even more in love with the car if she'd actually worked for it.

Still, it's his money and he's free to spend it how he likes.... but his daughter is one of those that will be waiting a long time for me to let her out if her little journey involves any junctions.

Also, more practically, don't you want your daughter to have something that she will value forever as her special 21st birthday present, not something that will depreciate and die?

I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - madf
I feel sorry (really) for Motorwayman. Started a thread on buying his daughter a car.. and look what it gets to! Nearly the longest thread!

I am sure an RX8 will last and give reliable service for as long as she is likely to own it..(which is likely to be no more than 3 years if she is an "average" owner - which of course does not exist!)

madf

I think polo girl wants to be adopted as well
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - bartycrouch
Motorwayman's not even trying Renault Family. When I finished my final exams at university we all decided to go out for a curry. A Portuguese student rang home to say she would be late and her father told her he had bought her an Aston Martin convertible. She still came out for a curry though!
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Vansboy
I was raving about the Rx8, right from the first snipits of info began appearing.Having now had chance to see it in the metal, I'm suitably impressed!

Looks good all angles, even in drab colours - you CAN now order in lightning yellow, wasn't to be available , initially.

Girlfrind of ours, 40 something, has one now , after getting shot of her new MR2,(only discovered the poor carrying capacity after purchase!!) She seems more than happy, now.

Don't like the great lump of transmission, thet sticks into your calf, on right hand drive versions. Maybe OK, if your a shorter person - Mrs Vansboy was fine.

Be wary if you live near me, Herts,& looking at a red one. Trade plated & non registered example went past our place last week at sub 20 mph, sounding like a steam engine - NO EXAGERATION-, wonder what was up with that one??!!

Let her have it if she wants it!!

VB
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Miller
Motorwayman, April Fool is a fortnight away yet mate!
Hi

Interesting points!!

I will try and address queries raised generally.

First of all, this may appear to be a "wind up" as some one said but just check out the link I've posted.

Remember, most of us live in the 21st century and not the steam age. I challange anyone here to come up with "WHAT'S BAD" about any car that comes close to this?

One respected member here made a very good point by stating that they had the one drive, two car senario. He asked if this meant they would have to push the other car out of the way. I agree with him.

As some one else said the car should be ok for the warranty period but what about post 4 years?

A few queried, and many more understood why our daughter drives up to the station as it is a mere one mile away. As many agreed, it is her choice!!

Another member stated that if the small print was read carefully this senario applied to most cars. I strongly disagree. this is because we all know that regular short trips do not help your car. My own experience about 15 years ago was when a work colleauge gave me a lift into work as he passed our home (I paid him an agreed amount) and it worked to my advantage as the car was normally warm in the winter and cool in the summer on the way down. My car stood around most of the 5 working days and as a result the exhaust went when it was three years old and only had about 15k miles on it. The exhaust guy told me that the condensation had built up resulting in rust and damaged exhaust as the motor was not driven on a regular basis.

Our daughter like any young lady goes out in the evenings and takes here car. She also does long-ish trips.

However, the FACT remains that this car is NOT suitable for the average journey of three miles. It takes my car in winter about 4/5 miles to warm up. So what chance does it have to get warmed up in the approx one mile she will travel.

If everyone was sincere here they would note that there is something odd about this car/makers. Tens of thousands of people make very short journeys on a regular basis - and if they read the 'whats bad' about this good looking car - they would not buy it new or second hand.

For what it's worth, all our family thinks it is a very good looking car that would attract attention of the right and wrong type. If we all worried about attract thieves, no one would buy a new car imo.

Thanks to those that supported my concerns.
If everyone was sincere here they would note that there is
something odd about this car/makers.

Yes. This is correct. THEY HAVE A ROTARY ENGINE.
Several people have tried to tell you this.
There is no conspiracy, nothing sinister is going on, it's just a different type of engine, and as such, different rules apply.
If it doesn't suit your purposes, which is obviousl,y the case, then look elsewhere.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Cardew(USA)
In the spirit of this thread, my son fell in love with the F-14 Tomcat and we are thinking of buying him one for his birthday.

However Grumman recommend that an aircraft carrier would complement such a purchase and we think that to buy both when he is only 15 would be spoiling him.

Do you think we are being hard on him?
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Orson {P}
Dealer service is good though - I got this questionnaire when I bought one.
Thank you for purchasing a McDonnell Douglas military aircraft. In order to protect your new investment, please take a few moments to fill out the warranty registration card below. Answering the survey questions is not required, but the information will help us to develop new products that best meet your needs and desires.
[_] Mr.
[_] Mrs.
[_] Ms.
[_] Miss
[_] Lt.
[_] Gen.
[_] Comrade
[_] Classified
[_] Other

First Name: ....................................................
Initial: ........
Last Name......................................................
Password: .............................. (max. 8 char)
Code Name: .....................................................
Latitude-Longitude-Altitude: ........... ...........
2. Which model aircraft did you purchase?

[_] F-14 Tomcat
[_] F-15 Eagle
[_] F-16 Falcon
[_] F-117A Stealth
[_] Classified

3. Date of purchase (Year/Month/Day): 20....... /....... /......

4. Serial Number:.........................................

5. Please indicate where this product was purchased:

[_] Received as gift / aid package
[_] Catalogue / showroom
[_] Independent arms broker
[_] Mail order
[_] Discount store
[_] Government surplus
[_] Classified

6. Please indicate how you became aware of the McDonnell Douglas product you have just purchased:

[_] Heard loud noise, looked up
[_] Store display
[_] Espionage
[_] Recommended by friend / relative / ally
[_] Political lobbying by manufacturer
[_] Was attacked by one

7. Please indicate the three (3) factors that most influenced your decision to purchase this McDonnell Douglas product:
[_] Style / appearance
[_] Speed / manoeuvrability
[_] Price / value
[_] Comfort / convenience
[_] Kickback / bribe
[_] Recommended by salesperson
[_] McDonnell Douglas reputation
[_] Advanced Weapons Systems
[_] Backroom politics
[_] Negative experience opposing one in combat

8. Please indicate the location(s) where this product will be used:
[_] North America
[_] Iraq
[_] Iraq
[_] Aircraft carrier
[_] Iraq
[_] Europe
[_] Iraq
[_] Middle East (not Iraq)
[_] Iraq
[_] Africa
[_] Iraq
[_] Asia / Far East
[_] Iraq
[_] Misc. Third World countries
[_] Iraq
[_] Classified
[_] Iraq

9. Please indicate the products that you currently own or intend to purchase in the near future:

[_] Colour TV
[_] VCR
[_] ICBM
[_] Killer Satellite
[_] CD Player
[_] Air-to-Air Missiles
[_] Space Shuttle
[_] Home Computer
[_] Nuclear Weapon

10. How would you describe yourself or your organisation?
(Indicate all that apply:)
[_] Communist / Socialist
[_] Terrorist
[_] Crazed
[_] Neutral
[_] Democratic
[_] Dictatorship
[_] Primitive / Tribal

11. How did you pay for your McDonnell Douglas product?

[_] Deficit spending
[_] Cash
[_] Suitcases of cocaine
[_] Oil revenues
[_] Personal cheque
[_] Credit card
[_] Ransom money
[_] Traveller's cheque

12. Your occupation:
>
[_] Homemaker
[_] Sales / marketing
[_] Revolutionary
[_] Clerical
[_] Mercenary
[_] Tyrant
[_] Middle management
[_] Eccentric billionaire
[_] Defence Minister / General
[_] Retired
[_] Student

13. To help us better understand our customers, please indicate
the interests and activities in which you and your spouse enjoy
participating on a regular basis:

[_] Golf
[_] Boating / sailing
[_] Sabotage
[_] Running / jogging
[_] Propaganda / misinformation
[_] Destabilisation / overthrow
[_] Default on loans
[_] Gardening
[_] Crafts
[_] Black market / smuggling
[_] Collectibles / collections
[_] Watching sports on TV
[_] Wines
[_] Interrogation / torture
[_] Household pets
[_] Crushing rebellions
[_] Espionage / reconnaissance
[_] Fashion clothing
[_] Border disputes
[_] Mutually Assured Destruction

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this questionnaire. Your answers will be used in market studies that will help McDonnell Douglas serve you better in the future - as well as allowing you to receive mailings and special offers from other companies, governments, extremist groups, and mysterious consortia. As a bonus for responding to this survey, you will
be registered to win a brand new F-117A in our Desert Thunder Sweepstakes! Comments or suggestions about our fighter planes?
Please write to:
McDONNELL DOUGLAS CORPORATION Marketing Department Military, Aerospace Division
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s)named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not
authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an
irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although the kelpie next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear
of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft. However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites and place it in a warm oven for 40 minutes. Whisk briefly and let it stand for 2 hours before icing.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Nsar
ROFL
LOL. Posting of the week.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Adam {P}
Posting of the year methinks.
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - NowWheels
In the spirit of this thread, my son fell in love
with the F-14 Tomcat and we are thinking of buying him
one for his birthday.
However Grumman recommend that an aircraft carrier would complement such a
purchase and we think that to buy both when he is
only 15 would be spoiling him.
Do you think we are being hard on him?

Dear Cardew

I think that you may be I danger of being a litle bit stingy, but the fact that you ask for advice shows that you are well aware of the risk.

I suggest, though, that you are being a little hard on yourself. After all, the good folks at Grumman wouldn't suggest these toys if they didn't honestly believe that they would provide good, healthy recreation for a young man. (I know that some cynical people might question that, but those are just the sort of begrudgers who believe all the evidence that tobacco manufacturers knew for years how dangerous cigarettes can be)

I am delighted to see that you (quite rightly) do not question your son's maturity to use this machinery responsibly. As you know, all this stuff is very safe, which is why all the government-owned models have been entrusted to the ultimate control of a man whose family is best friends with the Bin Laden family.

Go on -- buy him the aircraft carrier. After all, without it, where is going to land the F-14 -- in your back yard?

And then you can treat him to a fleet of nuclear missile submarines when he is twenty-one and has a few years driving experience under his belt!

No Wheels,

"I think that you may be I danger of being a litle bit stingy,"

Its not the cost that worries us - he has been a good lad and his head groom says he helps with his string of polo ponies. Our concern is purely environmental.

C
P.S.
I think Orson's post is a 'wind up' don't you? It trivialises this thread.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Mark (RLBS)
>>I think Orson's post is a 'wind up' don't you? It trivialises this thread.

You'd be going some to trivialise this thread.
>> If everyone was sincere here they would note that there
is
>> something odd about this car/makers.
Yes. This is correct. THEY HAVE A ROTARY ENGINE.
Several people have tried to tell you this.
There is no conspiracy, nothing sinister is going on, it's just
a different type of engine, and as such, different rules apply.
If it doesn't suit your purposes, which is obviousl,y the case,
then look elsewhere.

I think everone on this thread knows it has a ROTARY engine. However, 95% of the members here would agree that they were unaware of serious weakness in this car. Again, and imo about 95% would agree again that this is like stepping back to the 'good old steam engine days.'

For the record, we will NOT be buying this dated technology. Yes it is dated by the mere fact that you have to treat it like a steam engined car, ie - you can not just start it move it off your drive and be certain that you have not damaged the engine.

Our daughter is a sensible person and she recognises the fact that this car will not meet her requirements, or anyone elese for that matter if they were honest enough to admit it. (some have here)

Final point: How many people do you know that own sports or other cheap or expensive cars that always WARM up their car to the correct tempreture and then TURN OFF THE ENGINE?

ONE TO AVOID - especially if you were thinking of buying this second-hand.
Its simple really. You have been warned and you are aware that this car is not suitable (and not designed) for the use you intend.
Buy it at your peril. If it breaks outside the warranty period then tough - chalk it up to experience, dont come on here all enraged threatening to sue because we will laugh at you.

If it doesent (and given the warning you can try and unsure its cared for) then quids in - you and daughter happy, you can come on here and crow about how much fun its been and we can all weep with frustration and jelousy.

Your choice, buy it or not - end of matter.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Garethj
A heated debate on a few issues here, not all of them related to Motorwayman's motoring question!

To answer the question: yes I (and I'm sure other petrolheads with a good memory) know about the foibles of a rotary engine, many of the NSU Ro80's faults were due to owners not recognising how to drive them properly. However Mazda have done a lot of research on this and I'm sure you are quite safe to start the car up and move it around the driveway every so often! It won't last as long on short trips as it would on long trips but that's the same for every car - all the stories of cars which go 500,000 miles are taxis or whatever that are started in the morning and kept up to operating temperature all day.

Did you also know that several cars today require "special" atention: it's good practice to let any turbocharged car idle for a minute after a run where it gets hot to stop the oil boiling in the turbo bearings. Not compulsory, and modern cars are better than those of 5 or 10 years ago but it still helps.

Gareth
this is like stepping back
to the 'good old steam engine days.'
For the record, we will NOT be buying this dated technology.
Yes it is dated by the mere fact that you have
to treat it like a steam engined car,
Our daughter is a sensible person and she recognises the fact
that this car will not meet her requirements, or anyone elese
for that matter if they were honest enough to admit it.
ONE TO AVOID - especially if you were thinking of buying
this second-hand.

After all that you're considering buying it again?
Your daughter must be very persuasive ;)
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Clanger
"For the record, we will NOT be buying this dated technology."

It's just occurred to me that the RX-8 has rear 'suicide' doors. You can't get much more dated than that...

C'mon Mazda, shape up. You've lost a potential customer here with these SILLY oversights.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
I think polo girl wants to be adopted as well

Heh...not until there's a proper car on offer!

Today, we have all decide to buy the car in a few months time and sell it on without hardly losing 1/2k.

Final comment on this thread.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Mark (RLBS)
>>and sell it on without hardly losing 1/2k.

Just hope that whoever you're going to sell it to didn't see your last comment.

>>ONE TO AVOID - especially if you were thinking of buying this second-hand.
we know in our hearts that our daughter really wants the car. IMO, the depreciation should/hopefully be next to nothing. When the year is up and hopefully our daughter is boreded with the car which should still be under warranty and very low miles - the person that will buy it is most likely not to have read HJ's comments or my thread will buy it for good money.

if we place an order - i will post here. in the light of the day i think i need to further investigate before parting with the money.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - machika
Is this really how you want your daughter to carry on in life? To have large amounts of money lavished on buying her expensive gifts, until she becomes bored with them after a short spell and then sets her mind on the next must have item. I used to work with a young woman who was like this. She was forever on the phone to her father, asking for help in acquiring her next dream machine (or whatever else she just had to have).

Sounds like a perfect example of the consumer driven desires that afflict many of our young people today. Too much comes to them too easily and too soon. She might not desire it so much if she had to spend £20k of her own hard earned pennies on it.

I'll get down off my soapbox now
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Solunauk
I have sympathy with Machika's views, but compared with a peasant in India or Africa we are all badly spoiled children in the developed world. Wealth and ostentation is all relative. It's his money, let him do with it as he wishes ... AND put up with the consequences for his daughter, himself and (sob!) the RX8.

Now can we get back to the subject of motoring?
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - mattym
I have read this thread with tears running down my face...

Unfortunately not cos its funny(though it is) but for the poor punter who buys it after little miss cant-drive-a-shed finishes with it. The car is OBVIOUSLY different to standard cars, and OBVIOUSLY TOTALLY and COMPLETELY unsuitable for darling daughter to drive, yet still she has to have it. Put your foot down! If you want to chuck money away, buy her a used focus, golf, pug or anything else, move further from the station, get her a different job, hell even make her walk, but DONT buy her the car she wants. When you take it back after the inevitable engine failure, i hope i am walking past the door when the dealer laughs in your face as he explains that you have mis-used the car, and therefore will not be able to claim under warrenty....

Take yourself and your daughter outside, give yourselves a slap, then go buy a used car..or will your daughter scweam and scweam until she is blue??
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Mudguts
Motorwayman:

What would you say if your daughter 'fell in love with' a new Bentley? or have you set her a limit of "No more than twenty thousand"...

And when you say:

"our daughter has three and half years of faultless driving experience and she is mature enough to treat this car with respect and also treat the highway code with respect."

What has she been driving? Is it as fast as the RX8?

Also:

"For the record, we will NOT be buying this dated technology. Yes it is dated by the mere fact that you have to treat it like a steam engined car, ie - you can not just start it move it off your drive and be certain that you have not damaged the engine.

Our daughter is a sensible person and she recognises the fact that this car will not meet her requirements, or anyone else for that matter if they were honest enough to admit it. (some have here)

Final point: How many people do you know that own sports or other cheap or expensive cars that always WARM up their car to the correct temperature and then TURN OFF THE ENGINE?

ONE TO AVOID - especially if you were thinking of buying this second-hand."...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's you that has some "dated technology"... In between your ears! Just because the car doesn't fit your particular needs it doesn't mean you have to rubbish it.

Just get her a secondhand roller or Bentley, it's got a "normal" engine in it and loads more room. Paint it matt black with a paint brush and kiss goodbye to the "attention of the wrong type"...

Ho Ho
Is this really how you want your daughter to carry on
in life? To have large amounts of money lavished on
buying her expensive gifts, until she becomes bored with them after
a short spell and then sets her mind on the next
must have item. I used to work with a young
woman who was like this. She was forever on the
phone to her father, asking for help in acquiring her next
dream machine (or whatever else she just had to have).
Sounds like a perfect example of the consumer driven desires that
afflict many of our young people today. Too much comes
to them too easily and too soon. She might not
desire it so much if she had to spend £20k of
her own hard earned pennies on it.
I'll get down off my soapbox now

For the record: Our daughter is our daughter and it is our choice whether we provide this car a s a present or not.

for the record, she has worked through her school hols when she was 16 and earnt more than 1k. During her subsequent holidays she always worked and did not ask us for a penny to support her. Since the age of 17 she has been earning thousands in her regular job and she is attending uni part-time via her work organisation to further her career.

If our daughter did not wish to work for a living and did not spend her money wisely, we would not of even thought of buying her a car for 1k, never mind the 20k+.

Therefore, we have made an informed choice based on our experience with our daughter.

She has worked hard, and we feel like making her 21st birthday a day to remember.

Importantly, she has agreed that I too can drive the motor whenever I feel like it.

finally, I do agree that children should not be spoilt and in our case we feel she has earnt it. Of course we are worried she may wish to race the car - but she sensible enough to know what this may result in.

This is my final post on this thread until we make the purchase of this/or another car.

Thanks to those that posted helpful and caring comments!!
Personally I think daddy is trying to buy little Sophie's love! Happily, just when I was beginning to despair that there were no longer any real people left living in this excessively affluent society I was reminded of the case of Daveyk. Daveyk is a contributor to this site who recently related to us some of his experiences with his fourteenth car in the last six months.

Daveyk is a down-to-earth type and although he quite liked the idea of owning a Porsche, he didn't really want to sell his house. As such he make his way to his local Hyandie dealership where, after an extensive fifteen-minute examination of the "build quality", Daveyk parted with the contents of his piggy bank and drove home in his new best friend. Sadly, on getting home, Daveyk discovered that his Hyandie had developed quite a nasty dose of eczema and even though Davey did his best to cure this problem with a brillo pad, brake fluid, and some good old fashioned elbow grease, he was not quite able to return the paintwork to its original pristine condition...
...Undaunted, Daveyk decided that he was not going to get weepy about "a silly little mishap" which he rightly asserted "could easily have happened to anyone." Instead, he showed some true British spirit and pronounced (with barely a quiver of his upper lip) these few words, which brought a tear to my eye; he said, and I quote..."I may be poor and many people may have an Mp3 player that is worth more than twice the value of my car, but at least my car has interior space and the chances of me crashing into a wheelie bin are small". Well said Davey! Compare and contrast with spoiled little Sophie (fictional middle class name), daughter of motorwayman (oddly working class appellation conjuring up visions of plumbers). I tell you, if I were in the trenches and I had to choose which of those two were to cover me in the event of enemy fire...I might choose Sophie, but if I were looking for a man to be first one over the top...then Davey would be my first choice every time.
Dragging this kicking and screaming back to the car...

I coincidentally followed one of these from Stafford to Stone yesterday. It was in a pretty blue and looked gorgeous as it approached, but as it passed it was let down by the stupid RX8 private plate and the design of the back - why is it so far off the floor? Just looks odd.

Dragging this kicking and screaming back to the car...

This thread was about a car?!?
Next thing, you'll be telling us this is a motoring forum...
OK, ignoring the point about whether he is spoiling his daughter (his money and his daughter, etc.), the point about using a car like this for a one mile journey is relevant. My generation used to walk this kind of distance to school and back every day (and better for it too). So now we say it is too dangerous because of all of the bogey men out there. Really? The main danger to our children comes from every day things like traffic, which we gladly accept as part of life, unlike the bogey men. There are too many vehicles being used for unnecessary journeys like this (school runs, etc) which causes unnecessary hazards for pedestrians and cyclists, so it is a motoring issue as far as I am concerned. Not to mention unnecessary pollution.

We can carry on this way, giving ourselves every excuse under the sun for our right to use our cars as we see fit. In the end it will catch up with the human race. There are plenty of signs already saying that it is.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Nortones2
Well said Machika. However, like several others, I have a feeling this thread originated as a wind-up.
Well said Machika. However, like several others, I have a feeling
this thread originated as a wind-up.

Yes, and I think the author was known as Mercedes on another board.
Good point Machika.
I'm only 25, and I used to cycle to school from the age of 9 or 10.
Of course the majority of people wouldn't let their child do that nowadays because of the perceived risk, but is there really any greater risk? Or is it just so widely publicised whenever one thing happens that parents are given the impression there's a pedophile / kidnapper / drug dealer on every corner?
Taking this example, is it really unsafe for a 21 year old woman to walk that mile to the railway station, or is that just the media angle?
BTW, it's just occurred to me that my last post migth be seen as more to do with politics than motoring (although I was trying to raise the point of whether such car journeys are actually necessary or not).
Whichever mod reads this, I leave it to your judgement, please feel free to remove if you feel it's not suitable.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Jonathan {p}
is it really unsafe for a 21 year
old woman to walk that mile to the railway station, or
is that just the media angle?

Probably a darn site safer than her going to clubs and bars until silly am and getting a minicab home.

Self defence classes would be money better spent.
"Importantly, she has agreed that I too can drive the motor whenever I feel like it.

There's method in his madness!
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - Mudguts
If this thread started as a wind-up then so far it has been funny and entertaining to read.

If this thread DIDN'T start as a wind-up then so far it has been funny and entertaining to read.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - bartycrouch
Sounds like a perfect example of the consumer driven desires that
afflict many of our young people today. Too much comes
to them too easily and too soon. She might not
desire it so much if she had to spend £20k of
her own hard earned pennies on it.

I am very surprised at some of the reactions to Motorwayman\'s article. Why shouldn\'t he spend the money on a decent car? You never know in this world; it may be the only opportunity she will get to own something like that.

When I posted my article in here about the student who got an Aston Martin, I wasn\'t joking, she really did get the car and she was one of the least spoilt people I have ever met.
I am very surprised at some of the reactions to Motorwayman\'s
article. Why shouldn\'t he spend the money on a decent car?
You never know in this world; it may be the only
opportunity she will get to own something like that.
When I posted my article in here about the student who
got an Aston Martin, I wasn\'t joking, she really did get
the car and she was one of the least spoilt people
I have ever met.

>>

Like I said we can carry on dreaming up every reason under the sun to drive any car in any way we want, or we can take a little time to consider what it is doing to this planet and the people who live on it. The only opportunity we may get and you only have one life, these are classic excuses that are often used to justify what we do. However, there are generations to come and their lives will be affected by what we do.

This thread may be a wind up but I wouldn't bet on it, and it does raise a serious issue (to some of us). To those of you of a different mind, well, as you say, it provides great entertainment.
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - dieselhead
IMO you have to remember that the Mazda lawyers had a hand in writing the press releases/parts of the owners manual etc. that formed part of the HJ report. Reports of RX8 engine failure due to owner ignorance sounds better than rumours of poor mazda engineering. This isn't a critism of mazda, just how I think all car companies operate particularly after several bad experiences with radical technology.. NSU RO80 etc.

Rotarys have always been inherently less durable than a piston engine. In the worst case (if the engine was repeatedly thrashed from cold) it could become critically worn while it is still under warranty. Mazda have to protect themselves from a minority of owners that might do this.

The engine will not suddenly seize up or self destruct if it's used for short journeys or turned off when it's cold..just wear out faster just like a conventional engine would. This problem isn't so bad now with modern fuel injection systems as it was in the old carb days.

I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - NowWheels
Motorwayman, I hope you don't mean what you say about your final comment: please tell us what alternative choice of wheels you settle on for your daughter. In another thread, now locked, there were a few suggestions which you may find helpful:

see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=20...3
Thanks Nowheels; I have tears streaming down my face from attempting to avoid hysterical laughter in the office!

'Motorwayman' may be a strangely working class appelation, but if you read the quality of his writing, it's not entirely surprising. Tracy will love her RX8 - but I think she'd pull more boys with a Tiger Moth.
'l' missing from last post. Sorry!
I Bet You NEVER Knew This? - No Do$h
Now Tesco is just half a mile away. As I can only get half the weeks shopping in a 996 I will complete 2 miles each time I do the shopping. Will this be enough to warm the engine, or is this car not fit for purpose?

This is all just priceless! Keep it coming....
No Dosh,
If you drive there in reverse gear at 30mph you will be doing 6364.67rpm(approx) - or rather your car engine will. This counts as an Italian Tune up.

C
Well, on the subject of rotary or Wankel (pronounce W as V!) engines, I once met a chap with a Mazda RX3 who claimed to run it on paraffin. I did not care to go the whole hog, but it turned out that on two of petrol to one of paraffin the R100 went well. Only, the oil stove smell at start up was quite noticeable and while there was probably some lubricating effect it attracted attention in the salt mine car park
Actually you can fit a week's shopping in a 996. The snag is that you tend to start looking for supermarkets that are further away. But on the other hand, you do become more resistant to special offers on large items.