megane 1.6 gearbox - allan doc
could any nice person please give me some advice. I've recently purchased a renault megane coupe 1.6L, and i have a small prob with the gearbox. when i'm changing from 2nd gear to 3rd, it wont go into gear. i have to put the stick to neutral, then back into 3rd to get it in. If im changing from 4th to 3rd, it goes in no problem. could anybody tell me what the prob is and how much it will cost to fix. cheers
megane 1.6 gearbox - doctorchris
Before spending a lot of money check that the clutch adjustment is correct as the self adjusting mechanism can fail. Next check the adjustment and functioning of the levers from the gearstick to the box. Will probably help if you get a Haynes guide to do those two jobs. Could also try refilling the box with new oil.
megane 1.6 gearbox - BobG
Sounds silly but I ran two meganes with 1.6 engines and found that the clutch pedal was easily fouled by the makers carpet mats which had a habit of sliding forward- when this happened you could hear the self-adjuster cam working.
megane 1.6 gearbox - bazza
I've run a Megane 1.6 for 5 years and have always had a problem going into 2nd gear, up or down the box. Apparently it's a common complaint. Strangely it's very variable, sometimes it's as sweet as a nut, other times I've been stranded mid junction with a box of neutrals. I don't think it's worth doing anything about, just live with it. Otherwise the car's been great, not a thing gone wrong in 60000 miles. But Renault gearboxes are definitely forgettable.
megane 1.6 gearbox - aliswan
I have had a 1999 1.6 8v Clio since new which I believe may share the same gearbox as the Megane and have experienced a similar problem - changing up from 1st to 2nd mainly. Have had the gear box oil changed several times and that seems make a difference for a while, but other than that I have learnt to live with the problem - changing gear slowly seems to help, so I have had to wave goodbye to the racing starts......