Road Closures - helicopter
Sadly a lorry driver died on the M25 last night.

I believe one lorry was carrying chemicals but can anyone justify how it was necessary to cause 80,000 motorists to be delayed in 18 miles of jams from Lakeside to the M11.

The opposite carriageway had 10 mile jams.

Horrendous inconvenience to motorists and the motorway remained closed between J29 and 31 for 12 hours.

I know the police and emergency services have a job to do and I have the greatest of respect for them but why does it take so long ? Can't they at least keep a couple of lanes open?

Road Closures - Sooty Tailpipes
This government said ALL accidents on the roads have to be treated as a murder scene if someone is killed or could possibly die from their injuries, hence the rediculous delays..Funnily enough, in France they passed laws which force the Police to clear the road ASAP and get traffic moving.
But even as a murder scene how can the sort of delays yesterday be justified.

I am not having a go at the emergency services but surely someone in charge has to account for why they have to do this.

We had the same situation near Tower Bridge with a protestor up a crane. they close down half the City of London. Why?
Road Closures - BobbyG
Couldn't agree more. Very sad that accidents happen and injuries, or even worse, are sustained.
However, delays that are incurred as a result are incomprehensible.
A recent case where teenagers were playing chicken on the motorway, sadly one was killed. However the road was closed for 12 hours! Why?
Reports in the next day's paper said that there were several witnesses to what had been happening inc a patrol car.
So, really no doubt as to why or how it happened, so why inconvenience everyone?
Road Closures - frostbite
Compare that with Growler's recent story of the RTA followed by a double shooting he witnessed in Manila - all gone when he came back from shopping!

It can only be jobsworths at their officious best in this country.
Road Closures - superstyler
the closure of a road is sometimes unavoidable,as we agree.
i agree with the posts before me, the "overkill" employed by traffic management in big road accidents is unforgivable!!
I work as a tree surgeon and we were called to a very large ash tree that had blocked both carrigeways of the A47 in leics, the police shut the road instantly, but couldnt provide a diversion route, i suggested to policeman that if we all focused on cutting one side of the road clear traffic would move if he could provide traffic controll, he replyed "no theyll have to wait,i have not got the the manpower", he then stood in front of the blockage, with his partner the other side. we worked for 35 min with one side of the road clear to pass!!! he wouldnt open the road untill the tree was completely cleared. i was fuming!!!!!! so yes lets have a good look at incident management
Road Closures - cockle {P}
According to our local radio this morning the M25 should have reopened about 10:00, the delay was due to the tanker carrying powdered lime; apparently the tanker had been ruptured and some of the contents were liberally sprinkled across the carriageway.
The clearance of the crash scene involved using a crane to remove the lorry, which had to fight it's way through the traffic, removal of the lime to another tanker, the vacuuming up of the lime off the carriageway which then had to be washed down followed by an inspection of the surface to ensure there had been no chemical reaction.
Generally, I agree that road closures are overly long but in this case I can understand why it took a lot longer.
Strangely, I believe British Transport Police are measured on their ability to return the track to the operating companies within two hours after a railway fatality.

Cockle
Road Closures - scotty
Compare that with Growler's recent story of the RTA followed by
a double shooting he witnessed in Manila - all gone when
he came back from shopping!
It can only be jobsworths at their officious best in this
country.

Frostbite,

... or perhaps it illustrates the value we put on an individual's life in this fine country of our compared to elsewhere in the world - and long may the those values persist.
Road Closures - scotty
I wish I could type better though :-(

Road Closures - Imagos
you heartless lot..

just think what that poor lorry drivers family are going through today and all you have to worry about is sitting in a jam..

very disappointed in these posts.
Road Closures - Motorwayman
you heartless lot..
just think what that poor lorry drivers family are going through
today and all you have to worry about is sitting in
a jam..
very disappointed in these posts.

I have read the posts several times and strongly disagree with your stance.

In plain English, all they are asking for is appropriate procedures to be put in place that ensure traffic is not delayed to these extents.

Sure, you may get the odd massive incident that warrants closing the road for 10 to 14 hours. however, in my experience the police either over react, or have no other options because of their dated procedures!!

Thanks.
It's as daft as closing down and evacuating a city centre and all it's businesses, everytime someone is stabbed or whatever...
Road Closures - Imagos
>>>>
I have read the posts several times and strongly disagree with
your stance.

sorry mate totally disagree with you, it's someone's life we're dealing with here, all people seem to be worried about is whether they are home in time for tea or if they'll miss emmerdale, or maybe the wife will have the 'ump cos they are late home.

i was stuck on A127 yesterday as direct result of this incident and as a result of of it i finally got home at 21:45 as opposed to the usual 18:30, i had wife to go home to, this poor soul never got chance to see his wife again.

if the police decide to inconveniance me by closing a road for several hours in the interest of safety or accident investigation then i'm fully behind them and quite happy to sit in a jam for an hour or two

dont be so selfish.
Road Closures - Motorwayman
I and many other members here are NOT being "selfish." We are all concerned that for one reason or another, things could be done more quickly.

I repeat, imo the dated proceduers need reworking for the modern world.

I believe that LACK of communication between the emergency services may have a small part to play in this as well. How many times have you seen police/other emergency vehicles racing to the scene of a RTA or other incident about 20 minutes after it's all over?

Something needs to be done, otherwise we are all going to get stuck in traffic jams for hours every other week because of an incident like this.
Road Closures - Flat in Fifth
At the risk of feeding a troll.......

OK its your opinion that the "modern world" should be allowed to dictate that things are rushed in order to clear the way for these so important and impatient motorists such that a vital clue could be missed. A paint flake? A tiny scuff mark on the tarmac?

No you'll never never never get me to agree on that, ever. Full stop, Rule off!

Suppose someone with less than honourable intent could engineer an accident so as to cause an intentional death, knowing that forensics have one arm tied behind their backs.

OK it might be a haphazard way of engineering a death compared to getting them plastered and then turning on the chip pan. But......

"Something needs to be done, otherwise we are all going to get stuck in traffic jams for hours every other week because of an incident like this."

YES I AGREE, STOP DRIVING INTO EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Road Closures - BrianW
The length of closure does seem excessive, but not having seen the scene tere MAY have ben good reason.

However, what IS annoying is that:
1. Alternative routes are never signposted: OK if you are a local but a proportion of motorway users are going to be strangers to the area.
2. Police on duty are not briefed with alternative routes. If you ask them when turned round at an incident they usually cannot suggest ways round.
3. You'd think that if a motorway is going to be shut for that length of time the opposite carriageway could be coned off for dual direction working.
Well, it never used to happen until about 5 or so years ago, they used to quickly get the lifeblood of the country flowing again.
For those of you who think the reaction is heartless , please note the vey first line of my thread. I have to say that I feel every sympathy for the family of the driver.

What I am getting at is the complete overreaction. Why for instance was it necessary to close off more than one junction on the M25 and why is there no apparent planning contingency for diversions on what lets face it is a not uncommon scenario. Accidents on the M25 are commonplace and yet we have these inordinate delays.

So what was the excuse for a week of closures as regards the protester on the crane at Tower Bridge? He might jump into the road and get run over? Give me strength!
Road Closures - vercin
So what was the excuse for a week of closures as
regards the protester on the crane at Tower Bridge? He might
jump into the road and get run over? Give
me strength!

As I understand it, the HSE told the police that they would be responsible for injury caused to passing motorist if the spiderman protester started lobbing bits of crane into road. For the police to go against this advice would be to create (which in the end they did)the posssibility of a legal liability against the police for failing to protect public. Now the protester apparently assured the poilice that he was not interested in injuring people and still the road closures remained.

This Government hates motorists. Once you accept this, the daft legislation that they pass, without regard to consequences, makes sense.

Regards

Vercin
Road Closures - Graham
Can't understand why passing a comment is considered to be selfish.

I understood that because of the litigations that now go on, the scene has to be photographed and measure in case of the event going to court.

Also, traffic flow these days seems to be a very low priority. Hence the de-phasing of traffic lights et al.
Road Closures - Graham
Can't understand why passing a comment is considered to be selfish.

I understood that because of the litigations that now go on, the scene has to be photographed and measure in case of the event going to court.

Also, traffic flow these days seems to be a very low priority. Hence the de-phasing of traffic lights et al.
Road Closures - spinner
It's the reality of high traffic density. 1 glitch and the whole thing comes grinding to a halt.
I'd rather the traffic incident units spent some time clearing up and evaluating the scene, rather than move everything just for the 'convenience' of others........
Yes spinner ( you're not Alistair Cambell are you?! ) but as I understand it now I believe the M25 was closed for more than 24 hours for one incident , the Tower bridge incident the road was closed for a week.

Much too long IMO and someone has to take the responsibility for delaying thousands of people out of political correctness rather than common sense.

Its not just about the other day on the M25, I used to live about three miles from the M25 in Surrey and even the most minor incident resulted in closure and complete carnage on local roads. At least once a month we would be gridlocked. Why?
Road Closures - Cardew(USA)
I get the impression that roads are closed for a much longer period after an accident/incident than in earlier times - a subjective view perhaps.

Given that there are more police now(and fewer road casualties) than at any time in our history, there presumably must be a change in procedures or policy in dealing with accidents. Always assuming that delays are now longer.

Rather than speculating, does anyone have information on this? - the serving policemen who visit the Backroom perhaps.
I just wondered if anyone on this thread so far had ever done any accident investigation work in whole or part?

No? thought not!

read these various links

www.westyorkshire.police.uk/fact_files/acc_invest....m

(gives an overview of one well run AIB)
but then I would say that wouldn't I DVD :)

a different persepctive here

www.polfed.org/magazine/07_2000/07_2000_traffic.htm

and then more info here

www.lancashire.police.uk/aiutechniques.html

then finally this

www.acpo.police.uk/policies/ba_road_death_manual.p...f

Then feel guilty about asking the reduced numbers of the increasingly endangered species called traffic police to stop inconveniencing you.

rant mode = off

Road Closures - Dwight Van Driver
I was hoping that MLC or Full Chat may have come in on this one but as there has been no response then I will put my 2 penneth in.

Firstly remember in the old days:

Healthy Road Traffic Divisions (ups PC to be now correct Road Policing Group) where Traffic Officers (ups Road Policing Officers) dealt with all types of accidents (ups Collisions) and the general gambit of Traffic matters. Serious/fatal accidents were attended by a Supervisory Officer of Rank, in my time I attended every one on my patch irrespective of the time of day and many times also the Territorial Divisional Commander.

Now:
- small Road Policing Groups manned by less experienced Road Policing Officers who no longer deal with the serious/fatal collisions and have to call out The Collision Investigation Unit (many times a one man band). Plus Traffic matters now dealt with on a Multi Agency approach. I also gather now the highest rank at the scene could be a Sergeant, with only two or three PC?s to take care of the many requirements at the scene. Whereas in a Murder enquiry, experienced Detectives in double figures drafted in at the start and their scene of crime can be closed for days.

The old days Society went by the spirit of the law as opposed to now when the full letter of the law applies.
We are also in a more litigation aware Society who is encouraged to take civil action at the drop of a hat and considerable compensation awarded for wrong doings. Likewise, later in the cold light of day Magistrates, Judges, HM Coroner demand full facts. Prosecution/Defence Lawyers are more demanding of evidence either to convict or acquit their clients and on the civil side to get/avoid the maximum compensation.

Consider also an ever-increasing volume of vehicles on the road.

So we have a serious accident, diminished resources of Emergency Services mean time taken to initially reach the scene increased. First task from Police side to protect the scene to ensure no further occurrences, removal of casualties yet at the same time preserve evidence where possible. Await the arrival of CIU and Police Photographer (ups Scenes of Crime Officer), who before any vehicle removal will make an initial and detailed inspection of the scene, identify and measure up marks etc. That bit of apparent clear road may contain small items of evidence that would be destroyed if vehicles left to travel over it. Likewise scene, vehicles and evidence photographed. When this has been completed then Heavy Vehicle Recovery can take place and such Units cannot afford to be stood idle which may compound the amount of time as they proceed to the scene.
Vehicle Recovery has not to be rushed as other possible evidence may come to light. When vehicle removed, then scene can again be inspected and then uncontaminated of debris that may damage normal traffic and result in a possible claim, before the road is made safe and opened to normal free flow traffic.

Now all this takes time and to ensure the needs of society are catered for road closures of some considerable time are becoming the norm. Far better is it not for a relative of someone killed to have a proper investigation made than a half bodged job and evidence missed or destroyed, just because our time is that precious that we cannot wait to ensure this is done.

Again because of traffic volume diversionary routes are not always possible. A1 at Catterick closed this am, diversion attempted and my town gridlocked.

Bit pedantic, sorry, but I hope it may help to explain why these delays occur.

DVD
DVD - I have the greatest respect for the investigation boys and the emergency services etc but it seems to me to be a very false economy to cut back in these areas.

You can't put a value on a human life but again I suppose it all comes back to money.More money is required for more officers to do the investigation, clear the scene quicker.

I did a calculation on the Telegraphs figures of 80,000 people delayed and then reckoned that they were probably lets say on average delayed two hours.

Most people would value their leisure time at at least ten pounds an hour. That works out at £1.6 million delay costs for one incident and I reckon thats a very conservative estimate.

It still does not explain the Tower Bridge fiasco, no sort of accident there but a week of chaos in the hub of the city. I wouldn't even begin to try and calculate the cost of the closure with all those stockbroker and bankers fat cat salaries.

Road Closures - BrianW
Surely the other question to be asked is whether the extensive and expensive investigation leads to measures that reduce the possibility of a similar accident happening in the future.
Or does the report gather dust in a filing cabinet?
Road Closures - Dwight Van Driver
Yes He-low you are right its all to do with cash. OK lets double yours and everybodies Income Tax/Council Tax and we can have a Plod every 5 miles or so - no accidents - no hold ups. You willing to pay? As it stands too many cars for not enough road. Like the other bit about costing leisure time. I'm on it 24/7 so worth 1,680 a week - don't tell SWMBO as she thinks I am worth nowt.

BW: Whilst the actual Coroners/CPS file does not wend its way to D o T, Stats 19 - comprehensive ticked box of conditions and causation factors - is submitted to LA/D of T. This helps in analysis by TM Depts of LA's for possible safety measures other than justification for sticking a camera up. Further, it is not unknown for HM Coroner's and Judges to roust LA/D of T because of poor TM features. So there is coverage of the safety feature you mention.

DVD
Road Closures - BrianW
DVD
Nice to know positive use IS made of the report.
Road Closures - Imagos
it happened again today tinyurl.com/2cb8d

another unfortunate driver killed still a broom and shovel will get him out the way and things moving again so hundreds/thousands don't miss eastenders.
Someone fell out of a tree round here, they should all be chopped down, so people can't fall out of them, they're only there for selfish birds to make nests.
Road Closures - Imagos
>>Someone fell out of a tree round here, they should all
be chopped down, so people can't fall out of them, they're
only there for selfish birds to make nests.

that is a very childish and pathetic remark..

i hope that you have never been or will be touched by this sort of tragedy where a loved one is lost through a RTA.

If you ever are you will realise that trivial remarks like this only cause further pain to these unfortuate familys or anyone else touched by these sorts of incidents and that sitting in a traffic jam or whether a road is open or not really is of no importance or worry at all.

I think people who have been affected by an RTA have clouded judgement because of it, and this should be taken into account, instead we have emotional blackmail by the PC brigade,

The highway system is of a huge net benefit and used by most people daily, it's inevitable that there will be deaths and injuries on it, but there are many other activities where poeple can be killed such as drinking and smoking, these have no net benefit but are exempt from the same hand-wringing and OTT reactions to their negative affects.
Road Closures - Andrew-T
Quite so, Sooty. Clearly those directly affected by an RTA will be deeply disturbed, and others may note it as a reminder to be more careful. But while the rest of us should avoid being too insensitive, I don't see any need for global sackcloth and ashes such as the epidemics of bouquet-laying that have become common. Risks are everywhere, which should be respected without becoming maudlin.
Road Closures - Cardew(USA)
FiF,
"Then feel guilty about asking the reduced numbers of the increasingly endangered species called traffic police to stop inconveniencing you."

Much play has been made by our political masters that we now have more policemen than ever before in our history. I thought I also read that there were also more traffic cops - but on the latter point I might have been mistaken.

I found this extract from one of your links interesting:-

"Present day traffic volumes have increased to the stage where there are now in excess of 300,000 recorded injuries and approximately 4,000 deaths on British roads each year. It is because of this that the West Yorkshire Police Accident Investigation Branch was established."

It seems to be very carefully worded - disingenuous even ? as fatalities on our roads have steadily decreased from several times that figure.

As I said in my earlier post it seems that roads are closed for longer after an accident/incident nowadays. Is it just because of a shortage of traffic cops as your post implies, or are there other factors that we don't know about? or are we wrong in thinking that roads are not closed for longer?

C
Road Closures - Altea Ego
Roads are closed for a long time after a death for forensic reasons - this we all know.
Why? to gather evidence - apportion BLAME. To find a GUILTY party. To PROSECUTE someone. This is the only reason. The sensitivity to the vitims and family is rubbish and a smoke screen.

So the next time you are held up for hours due to excessive road closure time you be happy and content that someone is going to get thrown to the wolves.

This is not a rant against the police but their masters. Probably tho this is a result of a litigeous society we are becoming, amply demonstrated by the numerous posts on here with the simple theme "something has gone wrong - who can i blame and sue."
Road Closures - BazzaBear {P}
Well said RF, if there's one thing guaranteed to wind me up, it's this country's determination to find a scapegoat for any wrong. Whether it be a sporting loss, a tragic accident, whatever.
I wouldn't mind so much if the effort was expended with the aim of stoppimg such a thing happening again, but that's absolutely secondary to finding someone to castigate.
"Much play has been made by our political masters that we now have more policemen than ever before in our history.

Of course that figure also includes specials, community support ossifers, civilians in all sorts of roles (custody officers, statement takers, case preparation officers, file checkers etc etc.

I thought I also read that there were also more traffic cops - but on the latter point I might have been mistaken."

Well documented here and elsewhere that numbers in both absolute and percentage terms have shrunk and will continue to do so.

Recent practical example, HGV fire on motorway, load well alight, three pumps in attendance from two different stations, road should have been closed due to danger from traffic to fire fighters, and danger from possible explosion to passing traffic.
No free b-i-b to despatch to scene. The fire was out and tractor unit re-coupling up when first plod unit arrived from 40+ miles away!

Don't forget that shortly Highways agency will take over motorway patrol starting on my stamping ground M6.

His Lord Holiness Ricardo Brunstrom recently predicted jurisdiction disputes resulting in fisticuffs on the hard shoulder.

"as fatalities on our roads have steadily decreased from several times that figure."

today fatalities have been bumping along around 3400ish / year for a few years.

Not sure how that ties in with your comment above, though 3400-3500 is not "approximately 4000" agreed.

Don't forget that when this particular AIB branch was formed total road deaths were around 7000 / year.

Of course fewer vehicles on the roads and compared with vehicle miles travelled then the rate is much lower today.

Considering some of those old (classic!) vehicles were imo death traps wonder what the carnage would be if today's drivers went back to that sort of transport.

Again in my personal opinion roads appear to be closed for longer because the slightest hiccup and the system gridlocks. I think there is also a factor that lessons have been learnt and things are looked at more closely at times.

Cheers, give my regards to the USA,

FiF
Hmmm....a Police State without any Police, that looks like the way it's going folks!
Road Closures - Dalglish
I know the police and emergency services have a job to
do and I have the greatest of respect for them but
why does it take so long ? Can't they at least
keep a couple of lanes open?

fully agree.

after the madrid railway bombings, their trains were running normally within 1 day. can you imagine that hapening in the uk?
Road Closures - smokie
The Thunderer has this letter today regarding the M25 accident

h************************.uk/article/0,,59-1369017,00.html

Does Mr De Neumann visit here I wonder?
Road Closures - smokie
Try that again...

A certain national newspaper has this letter today...

Sir, A tanker crashed between junctions 6 and 5 of the M25 at 11pm on Friday, November 12, a serious accident which killed the driver and spilt fuel on the M25, the tanker finally rolling off the motorway.

As a consequence, both carriageways were completely closed until late on Sunday night and indeed, one carriageway was still closed on Monday morning, more than 48 hours later (report, November 15).

I dread to think of the cost of this closure in terms of money, delays, pollution and indeed accidents as the weekend traffic was forced down the totally inadequate A25 or clogged up large parts of South East London, East Surrey and Kent.

Why do we have such an apparently casual attitude to the impact of such events? Could it be a combination of safety first at all costs (with no thought of the knock-on consequences elsewhere), incompetence, lethargy, fear of weekend work or protecting police overtime?

I urge a review of the priorities when such events occur, and new guidelines which encourage a sense of urgency in those involved.
I wondered if this thread would raise its head again after the problems on the A25.

Sadly a 29 year old tanker driver lost his life in this accident.

The two day delay in reopening was I believe caused first by risk of explosion and the clearing of 50, 000 litres of fuel, however also I believe all the road carriageways had to be re-surfaced due to the deleterious effect of petrol on the tarmac which would explain the delay.

The push of my original thread was not to criticise the police who are acting under orders but to highlight the cost , not just in human terms when someone is killed but the consequences and cost to others and I know that it polarised opinions.

May I suggest please Mods that there is nothing to be gained arguing round this subject again and that the thread is locked.

Road Closures - Dalglish
May I suggest please Mods that there is nothing to be gained
arguing round this subject again and that the thread is
locked.

>>

especially as another more recent thread exists
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26960&...f

Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Cardew
The necessity to close roads after accidents for what seems an inordinate length of time has been raised several times in the BR. Although a subjective view, it certainly appears that roads are now closed for considerable longer than a few years ago.

It has been stated in the BR - or at least implied - that it is now mandatory that accidents involving injury/death are treated as a crime scene.

Is this correct? If so it explains the longer delays for police investigations.

Also, if it is a crime scene, does anyone know(definitively) if this is happening as a result of new legislation or revised interpretation of existing legislation by the police hierarchy?

Lastly I hope the anti-police brigade will not contribute with their usual rhetoric.
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Simon
Certainly a lot of serious/fatal road accidents are treated as a crime scene as such, as it is vital that the police gather all evidence that is available if they think that they may be able to make a successful prosecution against someone for it. This I suppose is fair enough, because they would look rather silly if they tried to take someone to court for say death by dangerous driving and then turned round and said that they didn't bother measuring up (the markings on the road, skid marks etc) because they wanted to get the traffic flowing again. I assume therefore it is probably down to some kind of 'backside' covering exercise.
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Adam {P}
From what I understand, and I await to be corrected, if someone has been killed, or injured, then it is a crime scene. Whilst it may be accidental, until the Police have investigated, what makes me using my car to kill someone any different from using a knife?

The Police aren't going to close a road for longer than necessary so it doesn't bother me too much because I know that when the cops are involved, it's usually for a good reason that I'm sat in traffic.

Anyone else of course....
--
Adam
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - NowWheels
Whilst it may be accidental, until the Police have
investigated, what makes me using my car to kill someone any
different from using a knife?

I'm sure that some folks won't thank me for saying this, but one of the big differences is the likely punishment. If you were nasty enough to want to kill someone (rather than the nice guy you really are), then I fear that a car would be a much better tool for the job -- much much less chance of a murder charge.

I know that nearly all car-related deaths are accidental, but some of those accidents are the result of carelesness or recklessness which does need investigation. And it would be unwise to rule out the remote possibility that some might not be at all accidental.
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Dwight Van Driver
Cardew

Go to

www.tinyurl.com/me10

and open up Death Investigation Manual. You will need time to absorb.

Other factors that bring this about

Legal profession that want to know the far end of a f..t
Litigation
Modern protocols dictate that serios RTA's no longer dealt with by first Traffic Officer arriving at the scene he now merely holds fort and blocks the road while Crash Investigator, Scenes of Crime Officer (Photo/Video), Exhibits Officer, Log Officer etc etc are contacted and called to the scene.

DVD

Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - volvoman
Well FWIW I think accident scenes should be thoroughly examined but that more resources should be made available in order to reduce the closure time required.

Of course some people say things like "If it were me I wouldn't want anyone to close a road on my behalf." Well of course that's easy to say over a pint in a pub but I'm not sure all the loved ones and dependents left behind would necessarily agree and of course there may be other serious implications of such a stance such as the ability to claim compensation. All in all I think anyone who is killed deserves to have a proper investigation carried out into the circumstances but do feel more could probably be done to speed things up a little.
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Stuartli
>>that more resources should be made available in order to reduce the closure time required.>>

This would be realistically and economically unviable - such resources have to be geared towards the average number of serious accidents in a particular force's area rather than the maximum.

Whether it's day or night would also impact on the resources which could be called upon.

It's the same with the NHS; for most of the time its resources can cope with the demand but, during certain periods in winter for instance, that demand may prove a huge burden on the facilities available.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Stuartli - you could be right under the current setup but why couldn't say a national motorway accident investigation unit be created to either replace or supplement those of the local police? Delays like those on the M25 the other day cost ££££millions also - it's just a question of who pays and it all comes down to the taxpayer in the final analysis doesn't it.
ps - it'd be interesting to find out what proportion of the average time taken to reopen roads is down to actual investigation, repairs, clearing etc. and what is caused due to waiting for the required personnel to arrive on site.
national motorway accident investigation unit be created>>

What happens if this national motorway accident investigation unit is on the M62 (perhaps doing an investigation) and there's a serious accident on the M3?

It's up to the local police force to deal with accidents, serious or otherwise, in its area.
Well to be fair Stuartli, I wasn't suggesting a man and a bike operation. I meant a properly equipped and dedicated team with the resources to attend MORE than one major incident at a time. They'd be highly mobile and needn't be based in one place and need only be comrpised of the highly trained specialists normally required at the scenes of such incidents but whom individual police forces may not have the resources to properly fund. Major incidents happen on a frequent basis so I think whatever the cost of setting this up would be more than recouped in massive savings elsewhere in terms of reduced congestion etc. etc. The problem with it being a matter for individual forces is that some may place more emphasis than others on this issue resutling in very patchy coverage and critical manpower shortages.

As to what happens if the team is tied up at one location - well that would depend on the size of the team available wouldn't it. That's pretty much the same as the sitaution we have now isn't it? Presumably if the local force doesn't have the resources available for whatever reason (e.g. another major incident or personnel shortages) they either have to get them from elsewhere or close off the scene for even longer while we all wait for them to become available. That's why I suggested an organisation which could either replace (if it were big enough) or supplement existing resources,
The very simple answer is to restore traffic patrols to the level - or better even higher - than a year or so ago.

Incidentally, the Highways Agency is supposed to be setting up its own motorway patrols to do something very similar to what you have in mind in keeping traffic moving as much as possible.

A national police unit, like you suggest, would just cost too much as an operation to warrant the comparatively few really serious incidents to which it would be called.

Those caught up on the M25 the other day just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
DVD,
Thanks for this.

As you indicate there has been no new legislation, but new protocols introduced by the police hierarchy. I note that the study group that laid down the new procedures was headed by Richard Brunstrom the Chief Constable of N Wales - a great friend of Bogush! It states that many fatal accidents should be treated as homicide.

As these new procedures undoubtedly cause considerable additional delay on our already congested roads, I assume they must be approved by the politicians of the Home Office.

Although the province of the Transport Police, after the recent Berkshire rail crash, nothing could be touched for 3 days as it was declared a crime scene. The cause of the crash, witnessed by a policeman, was clearly a car on the railway line. I am aware that 7 people died and the reason why the car came to be on the line needs to be investigated thoroughly. However, unless I am missing something, it does seem an excessive time to prevent repairs starting on the line.

The protocols above apply to fatal accidents. However it does seem that this 'culture' of ever more detailed examination applies to all accidents - presumably as someone could die from their injuries?

One reason put forward for these detailed and time consuming investigations is the fear of litigation against the police. Yet nowhere has a greater culture of litigation than the USA and yet all accidents, including those with fatalities, are cleared extremely quickly and the same in most other Western countries.

I wonder if we have the balance right?
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - PoloGirl
Although the province of the Transport Police, after the recent Berkshire
rail crash, nothing could be touched for 3 days as it
was declared a crime scene. The cause of the crash, witnessed
by a policeman, was clearly a car on the railway line.
I am aware that 7 people died and the reason why
the car came to be on the line needs to be
investigated thoroughly. However, unless I am missing something, it does seem
an excessive time to prevent repairs starting on the line.

I think you're spot on with the comment about litigation on this one. The problem with the collision above is that normally (although not pleasant) the train will simply blast through any obstacles on the track and keep going until it can stop safely. What happened here then? Did the driver brake too hard, instead of continuing, causing the train to derail? Only detailed investigation could determine cause/fault, and although it wont bring the dead people back, people who missed work/lost belongings/were traumatised need someone to sue for damages.

Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - BazzaBear {P}
>>
Only detailed investigation could
determine cause/fault, and although it wont bring the dead people back,
people who missed work/lost belongings/were traumatised need someone to sue for
damages.

That's the most saddening sentence I've read all day. It's perfectly correct mind you.
We truly are living in a blame culture today.
Before we start condemning people with the same blame culture 'tag' we should remember that there are very many perfectly legitimate cases in which people have been forced to sue to obtain compensation due to them. People who've been badly injured and lost jobs as a result for example. Families who've lost loved one etc. My late wife was one such example and we had no option but to sue BR after she was involved in a major train crash. The system we live under doesn't help IMO - you have to prove negligence in order to secure compensation and this is not as easy as many people seem to think.
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Dalglish
It has been stated ..... involving injury/death are treated
as a crime scene.

>>

if only all causes of death were treated equally thoroughly, thousands of lives might be saved. but that would lead to hospitals being closed as crime scenes every time superbug infection killed someone ( 7000 people die each year , wich is about 20 a day due to superbug mrsa infections picked up in hospitals due to negligence by somebody ).

imho: the police do a really wonderful job overall; but need at least four times more money, staff, and equipment to cope with all the demands on them.

Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - PW

Referring back to why roads are closed for so long it may be simply that the road itself has been damaged and needs repair.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4018471.stm

imho: the police do a really wonderful job overall; but need
at least four times more money, staff, and equipment to cope
with all the demands on them.

I certainly agree with the first part of that statement; the demands on them is another matter.

We have more police now than at any time in our history. No matter how much in the way of manpower and resources the Police receive they will still need to prioritise their tasks.

The public, as taxpayers, have a legitimate interest in the areas where those resources are directed and should lobby politicians to achieve this aim.

It seems that considerable extra resources are being devoted to accident investigation on the initiative of the police themselves i.e. they have determined this additional demand. This has be done without any publicity or legislation and has only come to the attention of the public because of the longer delays at accident scenes.
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - frostbite
Wouldn't some of the problems be solved by having a (semi) separate force, such as the Highway Patrol in the USA?
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Altea Ego
I have made my contributions to previous like minded threads before. The only difference this time is that I hope this is not prompted by the M25 tanker incident.

In that case it was an entirely valid option to close the road due the hazzardous nature of the incident involved. The police were probably not even the "in command" service involved
Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Dalglish
cardew -
should lobby politicians to achieve this aim.

>>

you can do so at
www.pm.gov.uk/output/page821.asp
... extra resources are being devoted to accident
investigation on the initiative of the police themselves i.e.
they have determined this additional demand.

>>

imho -
this is the result of a quango committee drawing up guidelines over which the lower ranks are then not considered smart enough to use their own common sense.
[ just as the new requirement as from today whereby every stop&search will have to be recorded and copy given to the "stopped suspect". once started, these types of time and money wasting fruitless exercises are very hard to stop. you need a new poitical leader with enough guts to come in and challenge the need for existing established procedures for any real chance of dropping bad habits ].

p.s. to renault family: nobody in their right minds will question need to repair and make-safe damaged roads.

Traffic accidents - A crime scene? - Sofa Spud
Aren't most motoring offences technically criminal offences? So any infringement of traffic laws (other than local parking regulations) is technically a crime.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Ah I see - the mods have combined 2 threads, so the posts of 22nd Nov appear half way up this combined thread.

To comment on Helicopter's point. I agree there is no point in bring up specific accidents as we will never be in possession of all the facts. Bring up the M25 incident was completely counter productive as, on the face of it, it was not the decision of the police to keep the road closed for so long.

However unwise the author of the letter was in bring up that incident, I think his conclusion(below)in general terms is worthy of discussion:-

"Why do we have such an apparently casual attitude to the impact of such events? Could it be a combination of safety first at all costs (with no thought of the knock-on consequences elsewhere), incompetence, lethargy, fear of weekend work or protecting police overtime?

I urge a review of the priorities when such events occur, and new guidelines which encourage a sense of urgency in those involved."

Especially, as stated in posts above, it would appear that the police have introduced the new time consuming accident investigation procedures on their own initiative.

Bring = Bringing x 2!!
Road Closures - Duchess
>> May I suggest please Mods that there is nothing to
be gained
>> arguing round this subject again and that the thread is
>> locked.
>>

Please. You know it's going to end up that way. Why go through all the pain, nastiness and mud-slinging yet again?

Road Closures - Cardew
>> >> May I suggest please Mods that there is nothing
to
>> be gained
>> >> arguing round this subject again and that the thread
is locked.
Please. You know it's going to end up that way.
Why go through all the pain, nastiness and mud-slinging yet
again?

Duchess,
Is it not possible(in a discussion forum) to discuss in a civilized manner a subject that has a considerable affect on all motorists?

The mods do a pretty good job if anyone gets out of line - and it is their job after all; also reading the thread is not mandatory!

C

Road Closures - Chuffer Dandridge
>>if only all causes of death were treated equally thoroughly, >>thousands of lives might be saved. but that would lead to >>hospitals being closed as crime scenes every time superbug >>infection killed someone ( 7000 people die each year , wich >>is about 20 a day due to superbug mrsa infections picked up >>in hospitals due to negligence by somebody ).

Whilst it would be good to eradicate or reduce these infections, I would suggest it wise to take care not to interpret everything you read or hear on the news literally.

You might also ask whether there might be other factors giving rise to increased infection rates rather than just taking the easy line of blaming health care workers.