'00 Xsara lost power after hose replaced - mfarrow
Hi

A friend of mine has just had a split hose replaced on his 1.4L petrol Citroen Xsara. I forget what hose it was, either MAP sensor or Lambda sensor. Anyway, it was causing the car to run rich and the oil to smell of petrol, even after a 15 mile journey!

He thinks the lack of power is due to the car needing a tune-up, he's going to get it "Krypton tuned", or whatever it's called, soon.

Is he wasting his money? I have suspicions lack of power now is because the engine's not running over-rich any more, i.e. it was the fault which was giving him the extra oomf. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Mike Farrow
'00 Xsara lost power after hose replaced - Sooty Tailpipes
Maybe there is some adjustment that somebody made to compensate, but I doubt it as cars of this age do it all automatically and there are no adjustmenst unless you replace a chip in the ECU.

Kryton (or any other) tunes are for pre-1992 cars where timing, points, valve clearance, mixture etc.. are adjusted, this car is too new for these to be appicable.

If it was a hose that was the problem, it would be the MAP sensor, but the rich running could have damaged the lambda probe/oxygen sensor.
'00 Xsara lost power after hose replaced - pmh
Could it be that the ECU has either gone into a default 'get you home' mode or that it has gone into a self training (learning) mode having recognised new components? If the latter it should get better over a period of time, see the handbook if there is any advice.

Alternatively try to force it into a new self learning cycle. I hesitate to say take the battery off overnight as it may create even more problems in a citroen! But I think that this is what I would try, if I had radio code and keypad codes and instructions . Somebody MM? RW? will have the citroen specific info.

pmh (was peter)
'00 Xsara lost power after hose replaced - Ben79
In a 2000 old shape Xsara, you only need the radio code if you disconnect the battery. The ECU will remember the keys and there is no keypad.

Ben
'00 Xsara lost power after hose replaced - mfarrow
Thank you all.

I told him before to disconnect the battery, at least now I know I wasn't telling him the wrong thing :-)

I think he's a bit dubious to do anything to the car himself. It still has warranty which he took out when he bought it second hand (definately worth the money: new air-con radiator/cooling fan/headlamp [all thanks to being in an RTC previously!]).

The funniest part is that even though the hose is right near the top of the engine compartment and easily unplugable, Cirtoen charged him £14 to fit it!

Mike Farrow