scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - puntoo
I have a car that is 4 years old that I intend to sell private.

It has a few stone chips on the bonnet, and some very light scratch marks around the door handles/locks. It also has a few parking scratches on the doors.

The choices I have are

1. Sell the car in its current state (and lower the price)
2. Go to chipsaway and get them fixed before I sell.

Would some scratch marks affect my ability to sell the car ?
scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - Ben {P}
Just go over the car with a good polish and top coat. try t-cut then turtle wax gloss guard. Alternatively 3m imperial hand glaze for a car paint shop if you know where one is.
scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - nick
From a punter's point of view, I'd rather see an 'honest' car, warts and all, than one with fresh paint touch-ups. Just give it a good clean and polish.
scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - L'escargot
From a punter's point of view, I'd rather see an 'honest'
car, warts and all, than one with fresh paint touch-ups. Just
give it a good clean and polish.

Me too. Goodness knows what thickness of paint has been removed when somebody has had a go at it with T-cut.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - Quinny100
Some of the colour polishes you can buy such as T-Cut Colour Fast will temporarily hide a lot of minor blemishes as the polish fills the scratches. All washes off next time you clean the car, but by then hopefully it won't be your problem.
scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - Imagos

but by then hopefully it won't be
your problem.

glad i'm not buying a car off you then..
scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - Quinny100
I'm not sure what that comment is supposed to mean.

I merely suggested a way of improving the presentation of a vehicle at relatively little cost. Are you suggesting that washing and polishing a car in preparation for sale is somehow morally wrong or undesirable?

Its a fact of life that any used car will have scratches, stone chips etc to a greater or lesser extent. If you sell a car with minor blemishes that go unnoticed by a buyer, then its not your problem anymore.

I've observed from other postings on here that many people have unrealistic levels of expectation when buying a used car, and are straight round banging on the sellers door when they spot a scratch or a minor defect. If you want a spotless car, to which you know every second of its history, then walk into any one of the thousands of main dealers in the country and buy a brand new car. If you don't want to fork out that kind of money, then you try your luck on the used market.
scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - mal
If you want a spotless
car, to which you know every second of its history, then
walk into any one of the thousands of main dealers in
the country and buy a brand new car.

Not exactly true Puntoo, just a better chance of buying the type of car you refer to.

I have in the past regected two "brand new" cars because of obvious paint repair work, one a Ford and the other a Rover.

Also during a chat with a "Dentmaster" dent removal employee he informed me that most of their work involves bodywork rectification on new cars prior to delivery!.

So for anyone buying a new car do look it over very carefully before taking delivery.

But of course it all depends on how good or bad the repair is as the dealer can still claim it is of "merchantable quality" if he so chooses to, which would not do him any favours as far as his reputation goes.

Mal.

scratch marks repaired before I sell ? - mal
Sorry Puntoo and D.D. reply was meant for Quinny.

Mal.