Short-term insurance - NickH
Hi All

Sorry if this is a little off-topic but I need some advice from seasoned motorists (!) with regard to insurance.

I'm a student so I'm looking for some sort of third party fire and theft insurance that will cover me for short period (e.g. a month or so) while I'm at home, but doesn't require an annual premium. Is there such a thing as short term motor insurance? I've exhaustively searched the net but haven't found anything as of yet... If anyone has any ideas of providers I'd be very grateful.

Car is a standard Nissan Micra by the way

Thanks in advance

Nick
Short-term insurance - Mark (RLBS)
I presume that the car is your own and not otherwise insured and/or owned.

Short term insurance is tough. You may find that takign out a normal tpf&t policy, declarig the car as "laid up" and reducing it to f&t, and then merely increasing the cover for short periods of time is the way forward.

NU used to do such a policy, but you may find that they restrict it to "classic" cars these days.
Short-term insurance - Dwight Van Driver
Do they not say anything/everything is insureable in the Insurance world?

Yellow Pages - Insurance Broker (local) - float it past a couple to see what the response is. But as Mark states it could be costly.

DVD
Short-term insurance - Van Driving Man
Try seeing if your parents (if they are willing) can have you/your car added to their policy as a 'temporary additional vehicle' (+ driver) for a month at a time.

Not sure if this will work in your situation, but it was the only viable way for me to insure a runabout I borrowed from my sister for a couple of months while selling my own car (ie - keeping two cars insured). My insurer (a well known supermarket chain) would not let me take out a policy on the second car for 3 months or less, so this was the only way to do it.

Best of luck, and I hope you find something reasonably priced!
Short-term insurance - NickH
Thanks guys

I think the easiest and cheapest bet is going to be as suggested and try to get it on the back of someone elses insurance. Have registered interest for Norwich Unions "Pay-as-you-drive" scheme anyway - what a great idea if they get it working!
Short-term insurance - Blue {P}
Try CIS, they do one month policies at a cost of 10% of an annual premium.

Blue