cleaning window guides - henry k
My electric windows are not working very smoothly and judder over the last fraction of the range prior to shutting.

The newly acquired S/H car has been valeted prior to collection and I suspect some of the sticky cleaner stuff that some dealers insist on using is the cause. I think it is on/in the window seals.
On an old thread the advice seems to be that silicone in some form will make the windows operate more easily.I am looking for some dry silicone as used for curtain track.
Can anyone advise what I should use to clean the seals before applying silicone or is this unnecessary?

What is the best stuff to get the same cleaner off at least the steering wheel, gear lever, door handles? I suspect it has some form of silicone in it as my fingers feel slippery.
A small cosolation, at least it has no obvious smell.
cleaning window guides - pastyman
Hi Henry,

Use a quick wipe with a thinners dampened rag to clean the slippery atuff off. As regards dry silicone, try halfords, they sell 3in1 silicon professional spray.
Hope this helps.

Pastyman.
Pastyman
Thanks for the rapid response.
I will try thinners on the fittings tomorrow.
When the car is dry I will try it on the window guides.

I need to go shopping at Halfords etc. to get some spare bulbs as the Yaris has push fit 21/5W and 21w jobs - most odd.
Will get the spray too.
cleaning window guides - Andrew-T
If you think silicone valet spray is making your windows stick, surely they will stick more if you remove it with thinners?

There have been enquiries before from people with sticking Punto windows (common problem). Special spray available - best sprayed onto a cloth which is then used to wipe the runners.
cleaning window guides - Cyd
Don't use thinners on your steering wheel or gear knob if they are leather - you may bring the 'paint' off. i use 151 Instant Valet - it's cheap and good, but Halfords sell other good cleaning products.

Halfords also sell a special spray for use on rubber seals etc. it's in a yellow can and is called something like 'Nylon and Rubber Lubricant'. It's best applied by a rag if you can. you don't need much.

Dirt and grit are special enemies of drop glass seals. Many of these seals have a coating applied during the extrusion process and dirt abrades the smooth surface. Other sticky substances can also cause the glass to stick and judder. Clean out the channels carefully with a mild glass cleaner or detergent and then rinse well. Try to get the edge of your cloth into the seals to clean the glass too.
Don't use thinners on your steering wheel or gear knob if
they are leather - you may bring the 'paint' off. i
use 151 Instant Valet - it's cheap and good,

Plastic wheel and gear knob so that simplifies things.
You had me worried as the only 151 I know is 151 per cent Overproof RUM that is so strong it is banned on flights and I think it would also take 'paint off'.
I have tried soapy water but need lots of effort.
Halfords also sell a special spray for use on rubber seals
etc.

I now have a can of Holts Rubber and Nylon Lubicant which comes with a WD40 type tube to get into tiny spaces
Clean out the channels carefully with a mild glass
cleaner or detergent and then rinse well.
Try to get the edge of your cloth into the
seals to clean the glass too.

As soon as the car dries out I will attach it and report back.

thanks all.