Taxing ex-disabled car - stokie
I've been home trading for a couple of months and have just bought an ex-Motability Astra at auction. The car is untaxed. My problem is that the V5 says the taxation class is 'disabled'. How can I change the taxation class to 'private'? When I find a buyer, will the buyer be able to tax the car over the counter at the Post Office, or is there a different procedure?

Thanks for any advice
Taxing ex-disabled car - RichardW
Stokie,

I had to do this when I bought my last car - you have to go to the DVLA \'local\' office in order to change the taxation class back to PLG (look on their web site for the address www.dvla.gov.uk/contact/local_offices.htm ). This might be a fag for your buyer (like they\'re only open 9-12 and 2-4 or something stupid!), so you may have to offer to do it for them once they have agreed to buy. Trouble is, they take the V5 off you and send it away to get a new one, so if you tax it, you\'ll have to wait for it to come back before you can sell it on. It\'s a pain!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
RichardW

Many thanks. I'm tempted to tax it myself and wait for the v5 to come back, as long as that doesn't add me to list of previous owners on the V5, I'm off to the Post office at lunchtime to query that.

Stokie
Taxing ex-disabled car - stackman
My Father is a trader who sells a lot of ex-motability stock. This is his favourite rant at the moment.

Previously you only had to tick the box on the V10 form to change it from disabled to PLG. You took it along with the V5, your customer's insurance certificate and MOT and the clerk checked the paperwork, issued the tax disc and sent the V5 off to Swansea with the new owner's name. He would then receive the V5 a week or two later in his name.

However that was far too straightforward for the powers that be so now you have to visit your Local Vehicle Licensing Office. You turn up with the V5, the customer's insurance certificate and the MOT. The clerk checks the paperwork, issues the tax disc and sends the V5 off to Swansea with the new owner's name. He then receives it a week or two later in his name.

The difference between the two systems ? In my dad's case an 80 mile round trip to Bournemouth.

He has done dozens since the new regulations came in to force and there has never been a single query from the LVLO staff.

No-one he has asked can give him a good reason for this change.

Over the course of a year this pointless paper chase costs him hundreds of pounds.

If you tax it yourself then you will add to the list of previous owners as you will need to send off the V5 to change the name and address in order to get the new V5 sent to you and for the DVLA to accept your insurance cover for the car.

Having said that he still swears by the motability stuff. It has all been maintaned regardless of cost, comes with full history and guaranteed mileage. If your buying a second hand car from a dealer it's worth checking if the car has been a motability vehicle.
Stackman,

Thanks that's invaluable advice. I agree about the quality of motability cars, they get inspected annually for dents and all are repaired! Mine's a 2001X 1.6 club with 12.5k miles which stands me at £4500, hoping to get £5000-5200...

Stokie
Taxing ex-disabled car - T Lucas
Tell your Dad that by posting the documents to the LVLO you don't have to drive and the new tax disc comes back by return.Simple really.
Taxing ex-disabled car - davwood
make sure you check the V5 when you get it back. I had to go to Nottingham to change the tax class on a car i bought for my son.VEL was issued and the 5 kept by them. when he got the V5 back it still showed the tax class as disabled. Luckily a phone call to DVLA sorted it out and he was sent a new one.
Taxing ex-disabled car - stackman
Posting is an alternative but then you get a two to three day delay. Most customers want to get their hands on the car as soon as they can, particularly as once they have insured the new car they may not be covered on their old one.

At least when you go to the office you can collect the tax disc.

His gripe is that they don't do anything differently at the LVLO as they used to do at the post office.