vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better car. - ladas are cool
i was wondering which one of these cars is the better choice, the new shape ford mondeo, the vauxhall vectra, the VW passat. i was looking at leasing one of the above.
Re: vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better - Martin Wall
Ignoring costs I believe that the Mondeo is the best. If you were buying the car yourself then the Passat is brobably best in terms of retained value. The Vectra isn't as good as either BUT can be purchased a lot cheaper.

good luck!
Re: vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better - Andy P
I'd go for the Passat. The Vectra is the worst of the three, and the Mondeo will depreciate faster than Linford Christie. Although the Passat is more expensive to run, you'll get a lot more for it when you come to replace it. There's also the prestige of the VW badge.

On a final note, don't discount the Honda Accord, a much ignored car but easily one of the best built and reliable cars on the road.

Andy
Re: vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better - Richard Parker
I couldn't really comment on the leasing of a car, but I bought a W reg 2.0 DI 16V Vectra Saloon earlier this year from Fords of Winsford, a car supermarket.
I personally am very pleased with it, but I would agree it is not as good as either the new Mondeo or the Passat. I believe therefore you would be better off with a Passat or Mondeo in your case.
However I think the general slagging off of the Vectra is rather unfair, and I was rather dismayed of HJ's summing up of the car in the reviews on this site. From what I am aware, the facelifted model has put many of the original faults right, and for the record, I have only done about 13,000 miles in it (7000 when I got it) and it has been flawless...no rattles, absolutely perfect in fact. Much better than the outgoing Mondeo in my opinion which I have had use of for business.
This car was good value, 7,000 miles, 6 months old, metallic red, air con, abs...all the 'bits' for £9500 in A1 condition.
I think that for a 6 year old design it is perhaps a bit long in the tooth when compared to the competition, but I am very impressed with it.
It is in insurance group 7, it averages 49 mpg and with pretty decent performance too, so for a young driver like myself (23) it is an ideal car.
BTW, I did look at a few Passat TDI's (group 11 insurance!!), but for about £10,000 I could have got a good S reg saloon with about 40,000 miles on it, without aircon, so for me the Vectra was a better buy.
Re: vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better - Dave Etchells
I have had a Mondeo Zetec since August and despite a few build gremlins - since put right - it has got better as it has had a few miles put on it. A colleague has a Passat PD130 and it is as nippy as the Mondeo and definitely screwed together better, although the seats are the worst I have sat in and that alone ruled it out for me. The Vectra? Ha Ha.

On the subject of depreciation, if I had opted for a Passat, I would have had to part with a lot more money initially, so I think all things are relative.

Considering everything being said, the Mondeo is the darling of the motoring press at present, some of it unjustified in my opinion. Nevertheless, on balance I think it is the better of the three cars you mention.
Re: vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better - Kev
If you are leasing it, I would go for the Mondeo, I think its a better car, it looks nicer [I prefered the old shape Passatt], and drives nicer [supposedly] and is more comfortable. However, the Passatt IS a VW, so may give you less problems.
I dont think any of the three are bad cars, there are few bad new cars, but I would pick the Mondeo, with the Passatt a close second, then the Vectra flailing slightly, the new one may be quite interesting, does anyone know when it is launched?
Kev
Re: vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better - Judge Justice Pickled Onion
A LIKELY STORY !

Is this another of your ludicrous fantasies Mr Watson ? why do you want to lease a car ?

There is more chance of me leasing a Steamroller and winning the next British Grand prix whilst aboard it !!

Stick to your Lada young man
Re: vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better - ladas are cool
i have seen a company who lease cars, and they pay for all the costs, apart from insurance, as i just want a trouble free way to own a new car. i am sick of having to find a main dealer garage for servicing, and repairs etc, and just want to get into a car and go, is that too much to ask?
Re: vectra v passat v mondeo, which is the better - honest john
There will be a photo of the new 2002 Vectra on the site news tomorrow. It's embargoed until the 12th. Looks much better than the Signum concept we all thought was going to be the next Vectra.

HJ