Best diesel - arnold2
Considering replacing the Corolla with either a 2 year old new shape 1.4 T3 Corolla .. or going for a used diesel...

If I go diesel, it will to have good mpg figures, since I get 43mpg at the moment - so I'm looking for over 50mpg. Also, I want something with much nicer handling and ride (will be doing 180 miles per day soon). I don't want something Passat/Mondeo sized, equally well needs to be bigger than a Yaris !

So far, the VW Bora and the Seat Leon seem good choices - both are available for £8k from VW/Seat dealers, and my friendly local Skoda dealer can look after it.

What would backroom readers choose ? And what would be the best place to source it from ?
Best diesel - Wilco {P}
Best economy - VW group
Best refinement - Pug/Citroen

Leon TDi 110 hp is good.
Best diesel - paulb {P}
Leon TDi 110 hp is good.

>>

Wouldn't argue there - I had a Leon SE TDI 110 a few years ago - you could drive all day in it without stopping, such was the comfort. Has a rather better version of the VW Climatronic a/c system than some, too. TDI 110 is obviously some way from being latest technology, but seems smoother than the PD engines, with less turbo lag. I could get 54 mpg without trouble on a long run. In many ways, wish I'd never sold it.
Best diesel - Nortones2
You could try the Civic diesel: its quite nippy, seemed smooth and refined (extra sound insulation also used on the Type S) and with good reliability.
Best diesel - Graham
Any VW as they will run on veggie oil and therefore costs will be negligable!

Only joking Mr Taxman!
Best diesel - carl_a
Have you read the HJ road test on the diesel Civic Nortones2 ?
Best diesel - Nortones2
Not until just now. Hmm, he didn't like it much did he? Rough slow off the mark and noisy by all accounts. The one I drove seemed OK , mind you I was a Passat TDI owner at the time.
Best diesel - arnold2
was thinking off something around £8k, so Civic probably not that low s/h yet .... is the 90bhp Tdi Bora/Seat any good ?
Best diesel - mlj
I had a 90 bhp TDI Leon. Following on from a similarly engined Golf. Nothing but praise for this engine. 55 mpg is minimum unless you cruise at 85! If you are using Skoda, why not an Octavia?
Best diesel - mlj
.....and a quick search revealed a 90bhp TDI Octavia, 2001, for 7995.
Best diesel - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Don't think that you will easily get over 50 mpg with all diesels.
Take the official figures with a pinch of salt.
My 100bhp Passat gets around 45mpg on a 48mile return commute.
That is with gentle driving. I'm geting fed up with colleagues saying they get as good as me from a petrol car.
Best diesel - Hull4000
You could try the Civic diesel: its quite nippy, seemed smooth
and refined (extra sound insulation also used on the Type S)
and with good reliability.

You got to be joking! It is neither nippy nor refined. It is everything old diesels used to be - loud, noisy, slow and smelly. A million miles away from the diesel engione in the Accord which is built by Honda rather than Isuzu.
Best diesel - skippy
then why not go for a skoda - I get 55+ mpg from the tdi Octavia
Best diesel - mare
Sorry, just have to join in with the "i've got a good skoda" theme. I drive mainly around town, and never ever get less than 45mpg. 55 on a run. Car has done 99,000miles, and goes pretty quick too. 110bhp.

Octavia's are bargains, Boras and Golfs with the same engine seem to be a lot more expensive. Oh, and the boot is massive too.

My W reg SLX comes with climate control and CD player and ABS and so on. Second best car that i have owned, with no hint of irony (best was a G reg Corolla, some years back)
Best diesel - AdrianM
I'm pleased with my 406HDi - I also do 180 miles a day to work and back.

Cruising (when possible) at 90+ averaged around 47mpg,
Cruising around 70-80 returns 51mpg
If I had the patience to stick to 65-70 I'd probably squeeze another 1-2 mpg from it.
Best diesel - 659FBE
Is that the 90 or 110 BHP version Adrian?

Best diesel - AdrianM
110bhp
Best diesel - arnold2
406 ... don't need something that big / iffy build ....

Skoda Octavia - only 3 problems: a. Skoda name (!) ; b. Anyone got an idea on residuals ? Presumably the Tdi's should be better than the petrols ? ; handling not as nice as either Bora or Leon ....
Best diesel - bradgate
Arnold,

My brother has had an Octavia TDI 110 estate as a company car for 2 years and has been delighted with it. 50mpg+, excellent performance, tidy handling and faultless reliability to date. He has wide experience of all types of car including German 'prestige' brands, considers the Octavia an ideal practical family car and reccommends it to anyone looking for such a car.

As for the badge, surely everyone now knows that modern Skodas are rebranded VW's and that the old jokes reflect more on the ignorance of those still telling them than the reality of the cars?