Diesel and Automatic - ideas? - footy_72
My Dad's looking for a newer car to replace his ageing Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6.

He's got around 10k to spend, and needs an automatic. He'd also like a diesel if possible, as nearly all his journeys are long motorway ones, and economy is important. It also needs to be capable of towing a 2 berth caravan.

It'll do around 15k miles a year and be kept for the next 10 years or so.

All ideas gratefully received!

Thanks,

Ian
Diesel and Automatic - ideas? - Sooty Tailpipes
Have a look at high spec (Elite) Vauxhall Omegas, you could get a very late one, they''re nearly all automatic too. I have seen 1 year old 12,000 mile ones at the dealer for £10,495, which is half price. Try an early new-shape with the latest variant of the BMW 2.5tds engine, a fine engine, but the Y25 TD as it was called in the facelift Omega is actually quite different to the older U and X25TD variants. Later they had a 4 cylinder 2.2, which is not quite as good in some respects.

If you want, I can scan you a review of this car from a magaziine and email it you..

snailtrail66 (at) hotmail dot com
Diesel and Automatic - ideas? - Vansboy
There was a similar post last week.

I mentioned I'd seen a 406 diesel auto in Blackbushe.Maybee an estate version would suit? It's old fashined by Mondeo & Mazda 6 standards, but a fine caravan tow car.

Worth checking Auctionview, in the left hand menu, here.

VB
Diesel and Automatic - ideas? - Dizzy {P}
From what I've seen on the Yahoo forum for Rover 75/MGZT, the automatic version of the Rover 75CDT is excellent, and there should be some to be found at around the £10k mark.

I have the manual version which I am very pleased with but, if starting again, I would have the automatic box despite it's impact on mpg.
Diesel and Automatic - ideas? - Ben79
A Citroen C5 estate would make an ideal tow car, a 2.2 HDI Auto would give excellent performance but a max towing weight of 1000kg, the 2.0 HDI auto will tow 1500kg. I have no idea why the more powerful car will tow less weight.

The self levelling suspension is ideal for a boot of clobber and the car has won awards for towing. See the Car-By-Car index.