Advice on a second family car please. - Mike 996
No1 Daughter (age 18) is going to Art College in September, public transport to and from the College is not a practical proposition. Access to a car after she has passed her test appears to be the way forward. SWMBO has also expressed an interest in using the aforementioned vehicle.

Problem 1, Insurance, our present car is insured in my name with my NCB. Would it be cost effective to put the second car in my name with the two of them as named drivers and would my NCB count ? Should SWMBO register and insure it with me and No1 Daughter as named drivers ? Has anyone any other suggestions ?

Problem 2, Any recommendations of which Insurance Companies are worth getting quotes from. (Taking in to account problem No1)

Problem 3, Any recommendations for suitable cars (Taking in to account problem No1 and No2). A Fiesta/Corsa/Micra/supermini type of car would be their choice.

Any suggestions gratefully received !
Advice on a second family car please. - BazzaBear {P}
In answer to problem 1: Your NCB can usually only be used on one car, but I think there are companies that will give you a starter NCB on a second car. Also, there are companies that would give your wife some NCB for having been a named driver.
Advice on a second family car please. - Mike H
On problem 3, see this thread that I started recently:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19814&...e
Advice on a second family car please. - DavidHM
1. The car must be insured and ideally registered by the person who will be the main user. If this involves a 20 mile each way commute by your daughter, then she will be the main user and one of you will have to pay the £1200 ish premium.

2. With several named drivers, the most obvious choice is Admiral or one of its sister companies, Diamond, Elephant, or Bell Direct. I'd also look at Tesco, Liverpool Victoria, NFU Mutual and Budget.

3. Fiestas cost between £50 and £13k so there's a lot of leeway on budget. Assuming a £6,500 budget, my choice would be, all brand new, in this order with estimated pries

i. Panda 1.2 Dynamic (loses the ridiculous plastic grill and better spec) - 5 door, practical, modern, apparently also very good to drive. Shame it's a Fiat - £6300.
2. Nissan Micra 1.0E - £6340 - well equipped, British made to Japanese standards.
3. Toyota Yaris - £6250 but a bit basic
4. Hyundai Getz 1.1 GSi - £5995, well equipped, superb warranty with 5 years' unlimited mileage, 3 years/30k free servicing
5. Ford Ka - £5495 but very cheap parts, cute, loads of dealers

Advice on a second family car please. - runboy
Or a basic Seat Ibiza (latest model). Superb value, equipment etc-I think it was What Car? car of the year last time round.
Advice on a second family car please. - Blurred
I insured with Bell Direct, they gave my wife the full no claims that I had earned, for her policy. Saved a tidy sum.
Advice on a second family car please. - BB
Elephant.co.uk also let you use your full no claims on a second car.
Advice on a second family car please. - Martin Wall
Are you going to buy a new car? If so then probably worth looking for one with a year's 'free' insurance as with your daughter driving that's be worth over £1000 in year one I would guess. If you do wish to pursue this route probably best to check the T&Cs of any such insurance - does it only cover on driver? Does the driver need a minimum amount of experience, etc? What about provisional drivers?

Make sure you get IN WRITING that the 'free' insurance is required and if you/your wife/your daughter won't be covered then you won't be buying the car

Citroen and Ford have been advertising free insurance deals on the C2 and Fiesta I think. Toyota have a deal on the Yaris also. Worth a look at manufacturer web sites to see who currently offers this.

Get the insurance T&Cs in writing (from manufacturer web site?) to see what is/isn't covered. And watch out for big excess amounts if you claim.

Good luck!
Advice on a second family car please. - DavidHM
AFAIK all the free insurance deals start at 19+ (Corsa) which isn't much help to the parents of an 18 year old.

Citroën's kicks in at 21, as do Ford's and Fiat's.