Mk3 Golf GTI : Broken ECU - Ros
I've had an intermittent (spelling?) problem with my ABS light on the dash. The car went in to a some what reputable garage to get it fixed. Having spent 200 odd quid having the ABS sensor and rotors replaced the problem went away for 2 days. On the third day the light came on and has been on ever since. I took it back to the formentioned reptutable garage and the problem has now turned out to be a knackered ECU, which they are wanting the best part of £1500 to replace...parts and labour

My question is, do I have any rights as a consumer to question/claim the garage as liable for the damage as what WAS an intermittent fault is now a permanent one?
Mk3 Golf GTI : Broken ECU - Altea Ego
The only hope you have is claiming the 200 quid back for not fixing the fault.
Mk3 Golf GTI : Broken ECU - RichardW
I think the £200 is a lost cause - they must have had good reason for replacing those (OK they interrogated the ECU and it told them that was the case, which might have been a red herring if the ECU was on its way out!).

However, there is NO WAY you need to fork out £1500 to get the ECU replaced!!! My mate got a S/H ECU for the ABS on his Xantia for £80, and fitting it took, oohh, at least 5 minutes. I do not know the specifics of the Golf, but doubt fitting a new ABS ECU will take very long. Try a google search for ECU repair as you may be able to send it away and get it tested / repaired. If it is totally U/S then you should be able to source a replacement from a breakers for under £100, and even if you have to pay someone to fit it I don't think it should take too long.

This firm:

www.bba-reman.com/index.htm

supply remanufactured ECUs, and may do repairs also.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....