Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - Hugo {P}
Hi all

Well, as I didn't get that VW transporter, I decided to bid on a couple of Rear light Cluster lenses for the Trafic on E bay.

For the total of around £15 I managed to secure them.

The arrived this morning and unfortunately there is a small 1/4 inch hole in the NS one. Otherwise they are both in good condition.

I suspect that it would fail the MOT with that defect and I know I can get the vehicle through the MOT with a small bit of that replective tape over it that Halfords and the like sell especially for this type of problem.

However does anyone out there know of a cleaner, less obvious repair? I need the van to look more presentable with me going into self employment.

Many thanks

Hugo
Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - Sooty Tailpipes
Hmmmm...Hobbycraft stores sell clear resin you make paperweights with, then they also sell coloured clear paints.... Can you get either side of the lense on this vehicle? You can then use clear tape on one side and pour resine into the well.
Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - Sooty Tailpipes
or use a hole cutter to make the hole clean, and to cut a peice the same size out of another light (without the pilot drill) then use some dyed glue?
Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - wemyss
From a plumbers merchant you can buy a small tin of silicone clear adhesive for a couple of quid.
It is used for some types of plastic pipe.
Very effective for cracked or holed plastic light clusters if it is clear colour of course.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I like the idea of the silicone adhesive, but it is the red section I have to repair

I can get at both sides of the lense, maybe the silicone adhesive with the red lense tape on the inside?

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks

Hugo
Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - frostbite
How about the clear tape on the inside then several applications of SWMBO's favourite nail varnish?
Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - Cliff Pope
Coloured resin is by far the best idea. Or you can stir a bit of red dye into some Araldite.
Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - JohnM52
Or, if you have the old lense unit, grind up a bit of the coloured plastic into Araldite and use that.

JohnM
Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - 659FBE
Just keep your eyes open as you drive. Find some bits of broken coloured lens from somebody else's accident, pick them up, file to shape and stick them in the hole.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll have plenty of coloured lense material from the old lense coming off the van.

This is assuming there isn't a huge repair cost for it's next MOT, otherwise we could be looking at a paupers funeral for it!

Hugo
Thinking on about this problem, I may try and glue some lense plastic onto the new lense from inside the lense cover.

Then seal the repair with clear silicone.

This is assuming I don't get a huge MOT failure sheet.

Hugo
Minor repair to rear light - Ideas Pleas - borasport20
point 3 ?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=10...8
just 'cos I know what I'm saying doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about