Extended service intervals, gone daft? - cockle {P}
Happened to be wandering around the M-B website today and noticed the service intervals for their range of vans.
Now, in my cars I've always worked on the basis of 6months/6000 miles for an oil change but M-B are advocating intervals of up to 18,000 miles for the Vito and up to 30,000 miles for the Sprinter!
My question is:- do M-B know something, or use something, different to the rest of us, or, are they about to lose their reputation for vehicles that go on forever?
Personally I would have thought that whatever oils, fluids and brake linings are being used 30,000 miles must be pushing it somewhat. Obviously such intervals will appeal to the fleet leasing fraternity as it will cut servicing costs dramatically but I can't see it doing an awful lot for longevity.

Cockle
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Mapmaker
There's a marvellous bit somewhere in the engine lubrication part of my (elderly) MB workshop manual that says (they put it better though) 'although at MB we have tried to make our cars maintenance free, even we cannot manage it, so would you please change the oil now and again!'
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Daedalus
Mapmaker, Sorry Cockle not a repy to you.

The best instruction I ever saw in an engine maintenance manual was for tightening the cylinder head bolts on a Yanmar medium speed diesel generator engine (900 rpm) bore about 350mm. Words to the effect of:-

" tighten the holding down nuts in the correct sequence using a long extension bar in the cylinder head nut spanner as hard as you can. When these are as tight as possible, tighten some more."

All the best

Bill

PS, those Yanmars were the best generator engines I ever sailed with. They made Paxmans and Allens look like like the poorly designed and made crepe they were.
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Cardew
Cockle,
I often wonder if we are all guilty of blindly following certain practices simply because 'that is always the way we have always done it!'

Most of us readily accept the manufacturers' advice that cars don't need the maintenance of yesteryear - de-coking, spark plug cleaning and gap-setting etc etc. Yet for some reason when it comes to changing the oil and filter we can't bring ourselves to accept their advice.

I think it implausible that manufacturers would lengthen service intervals, to the detriment of their product, merely to make the cars more attractive to fleet managers. In the long term it would just be an own goal.

Serviced in accordance with the Servicing Schedule, modern engines will cover huge mileages without giving problems. Almost without exception these cars go to their automotive grave with the internals of their engine in good condition.

C
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Manatee
I think its fairly well accepted that service intervals are extended to appeal to fleet buyers - where decisions are made on projected costs it can easily swing the business over. I had a '95 Scorpio with 6,000 mile service intervals - the dealer suggested I had 10,000 services instead as the service book from 96 on had been amended - no change to the mechanicals, just the service book.

Fleet operators skimp on servicing anyway - why wouldn't the manufacturers connive at this if it means sales?

Shortened life and reduced reliability is not quite so much of an own goal as long as the first buyer gets away with it. Fleets usually dispose of cars at 3-4 years, 60-80k miles, by which time they are potentially much nearer to being worn out than they would have been if serviced more frequently. It's the second users who pay the penalty. Anybody want to buy a 60,000 mile turbo diesel that's had 2 oil changes? You must be joking.

Manatee,
You are proving my point!

Why is it we always know better than the manufacturers? Can we not accept that engine technology has moved on? We no longer change gearbox/transmission oil as frequently as a few years ago - if at all.

If you look at any set of statistics on car breakdown/repairs you will see that the majority of failures are items unaffected by servicing - electrics etc.

Also it is not only fleet managers who gain if running costs are reduced.

Actually from what I can see on the web the oil change interval for a Sprinter is 30,000km or 18K miles. Also Mercedes give a 100k mile guarantee.

C
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - L'escargot
Whilst trawling the net for information regarding the merits of different types of oil ~ mineral, synthetic or semi-synthetic ~ I came across several US sites which said that the normal oil change interval for mineral oil was 2500 to 3000 miles. Are American gas-guzzlers that hard on engine oil?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
I came across several US sites which said that the normal oil change interval for mineral oil was 2500 to 3000 miles. Are American gas-guzzlers that hard on engine oil?

L'escargot,
Even though the engines in American cars tend to be large and lightly stressed, the recommended oil change intervals are often shorter than for cars in Europe. 3000 miles is not uncommon. No idea why unless it is a cultural thing!!

The latest Cadillac V8 doesn't need a full service until 100k miles when its plugs need changing. Oil change intervals depend on useage(monitored by an on-board computer) and I believe the maximum is 12k. The same computer monitors just about every other function in the car as well.

C
Cardew,

I don't entirely disagree with you, and certainly cars are very different and much more reliable generally than when my 1965 Oxford "needed" 3,000 mile services and greasing (!) every 1,000 miles; but it is indisputable surely that frequency of oil changes is a compromise whether done every 3,000 or every 20,000. Oil does not stay new for 20,000 miles or even 3,000 miles and then suddenly become unacceptable.

I think there is massive commercial pressure on manufacturers to push that compromise in the direction of reduced servicing. Any fleet administrator will have vehicles costed in terms of cost of capital, depreciation and servicing cost and the total can be reduced by £200 a year very easily by rewriting the instruction book - suddenly a car is the cheapest in its class for the fleet instead of the most expensive. And if failures increase as a result of the change, then it will be three years down the track anyway, out of warranty, and most of the consequences will not be visited on the first purchaser.

I just choose to move that compromise the other way by changing oil more frequently, mainly because I do not plan to change the car at 3/4 years - if I did, I wouldn't care either! Even though I change oil at 4,500 rather than 9,000 I am still benefitting from the removal of oil borne wear and carbon fragments even though the returns on my expenditure are diminished. I also like my servicer to take the wheels off and clean and free off the brake calipers rather than just peer through the holes in the wheels.

I suspect we aren't that far apart in our views - but I still wouldn't buy a 59,000 VW turbo diesel that has has 2 oil changes.
M
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - L'escargot
Personally I would have thought that whatever oils, fluids and brake
linings are being used 30,000 miles must be pushing it somewhat.

Ooo-er.

My 5-year old 2-litre Focus has done 73k miles and the coolant, brake fluid, brake linings and cambelt are all original. The technical advisor at my Ford dealer checks the boiling point of the brake fluid every time I go there for a service (for my car, that is, not for me personally!) and it's always been OK although of late he has said that, whilst not essential, it might be a good idea to renew it. Regarding the cambelt, he fully supports the Ford recommended change interval of 100k, and says that they had never seen one fail at less than 100k. (And it's a large main dealership, so they ought to know.) He says that they had one that failed at 130k miles but even that was the result of some other (can't remember what) failure.

I'm not suggesting that this applies to other engines, just the 2-litre Focus.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - P 2501
Bear in mind though L'escargot that if your cambelt fails tommorrow, Ford would pay out nothing - so you might as well change it for piece of mind anyway. I would think about changing the coolant too at 5 years old...
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - No Do$h
Bear in mind though L'escargot that if your cambelt fails tommorrow,
Ford would pay out nothing - so you might as well
change it for piece of mind anyway. I would think about
changing the coolant too at 5 years old...

For the sake of a couple of hundred pounds I wouldn't hesitate to change the brake fluid, coolant and timing belt right away. Although Alfa recommend 12,000 mile oil changes and 72,000 for the timing belt (it's 36,000 on the petrol version) I change the oil and filter every 6,000 for about £25 at my local kwik-fit and had the timing belt and tensioners done at 30,000 when it went in for its three-year service and first MOT. When it gets to 60,000 I will get the belt done again and have the water pump replaced (it was inspected at 30,000 and will get checked every 6,000 until we get to that point).

Brake fluid is another one where I wouldn't dream of keeping the same fluid past 2 years. Acceptable boiling point or not, brake fluid does deteriorate and the small cost will improve braking and possibly save your life.

As I plan to keep my car for at least 90,000 miles (about 3 years total motoring from when I bought it) I figure that I will fork out an extra £200 on oil and filter changes and £400 on timing belts, water pump and tensioners. £600 over 3 years for a better-running car with a minimal chance of catastrophic engine failure is, to me, a bit of a bargain. We're talking less than £17 a month here to safeguard the timing belt, prolong the life of the turbo and ensure optimum running. To me, that's a no-brainer.
£600 over 3 years for a better-running car with a minimal chance of catastrophic engine failure is, to me, a bit of a bargain. We're talking less than £17 a month here to safeguard the timing belt, prolong the life of the turbo and ensure optimum running. To me, that's a no-brainer.

Spot on.
No Dosh,

If it gives you peace of mind then it is money and time well spent - and with an Alfa perhaps that's wise!! (I appreciate you realize that last comment is TIC but before the howls of protest I really really meant it!!) Although I fail to see how those measures make your car 'better running'.

However it is my contention that it is a waste of time and money for most people. You have decided that manufacturers' engineers are wrong and that you need to change the oil twice as often as recommended, ditto cam belt and tensioner(a major job on most cars) ditto brake fluid that meets safety spec. water pump etc.

However presumably you trust their judgement and don't change gearbox/transmission fluids twice as often as recommended. Fuel filter, air filter, alternator etc etc. Why not change brake callipers as they could seize and cost you your life? - a more likely scenario than the one you painted with brake fluid I suggest. Why not a de-coke?

I contend that to ignore manufactures Servicing Instructions on some matters and not others simply leads to nugatory expenditure of time and money.

C
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Dalglish
i am with cardew on this subject.

progress means in modern cars -
no carburettors
no contact points
no grease nipples
no adjustments to tappets
bearings sealed for life
batteries sealed for life
spark plugs with life of 40000 miles plus
gearbox and transmission oil filled for life
etc.
However presumably you trust their judgement and don't change gearbox/transmission
fluids twice as often as recommended. Fuel filter, air filter, alternator
etc etc. Why not change brake callipers as they could seize
and cost you your life? - a more likely scenario than
the one you painted with brake fluid I suggest. Why not
a de-coke?

Fuelling hasn't caused a problem - I use Millers Diesel Power Plus to keep the fuelling system tickety-boo and take the car along at 4,000rpm a couple of times a week to keep the lump fairly coke-free. I've changed the brake pads to some with a higher friction rating and give the calipers a damn good clean after getting back from an oil and filter change.

Valid point on gearbox oil as I haven't changed it yet. I did make interim changes on the ATF on my last car as the box was getting noisy/jerky. No such problems with the manual box on mine yet, but the moment I notice anything I will be under the car quicker than quite a quick thing.

Most people are happy to run their cars from new to around 60,000 - 90,000 miles and hand the "problem" to someone else. I intend keeping mine to the upper range of that (or beyond, depending on how my business is doing at the time) and selling it with a clear conscience to a fellow Alfa enthusiast who is likely to appreciate the work and pay a little more. It's one of those brands where you can do that sort of thing, thankfully.

I appreciate I'm being over cautious to some eyes, but the minimal cost and reduction in engine wear* make it worthwhile in my eyes.

(*How can more frequent lube replacement not lead to smoother running?)
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Ben79
No Dosh,

Rememeber as well, you have the box-of-tricks from East Coast which is designed to work without ill effect on well serviced engines, so your enhanced servicing schedule is doing a lot more good than harm!

On a different note, the oil filter on a Picasso 2.0 HDI is very awquad to remove, you will end up using the radiator as a knuckle slice.
No Dosh,
Rememeber as well, you have the box-of-tricks from East Coast which
is designed to work without ill effect on well serviced engines,
so your enhanced servicing schedule is doing a lot more good
than harm!

Fair and valid point sir. Brrrrrm, brmmmm!
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - BazzaBear {P}
I may be wrong here, but surely those are mileages for the main service points. Isn't it normal practice to have a mid-service oil change anyway?
Doubt that'd be mentioned on the web-site, but maybe in the manual it suggests an oil change each 10,000 miles?
On the other hand, wasn't a cadillac released a few years ago that could run for 100 miles with no oil or water in it with no ill effects, and the service schedule was 100,000 miles?
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - OldPeculiar
Well regardless of what the manufacturer says I follow what the Haynes manual tells me. For my car that's a service at 10K and oil change every 5K. Presumably if a car had a particularly good engine etc then Haynes would change it's advice on oil changes.
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - machika
As I understand it, the main reason for longer intervals between oil changes is the introduction of synthetic oil. After all, the modern, very high compression common rail diesels wouldn't last very long without the use of synthetic oil. The oil change interval of our C5 HDI is more than twice that of our Xantia 1.9 TD, which doesn't require synthetic oil.

Or is there something I don't know about?
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Garethj
When I went to see a new Chrysler PT Cruiser I was suprised that the service intervals were 6000 miles! The salesman said this was a Mercedes group engine.

Never believe salesmen of course...

Gareth
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Wooster
Don't know about M-B, but Toyota says 20,000 miles service intervals. But the small print says "Or every 12 months which ever comes sooner". If you do 10,000 miles a year, you'll have a service/oil change every 10,000.
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Miller
Classic example is the PSU group 1124cc engine. In the Citroen AX of 10 years ago the service interval was every 6k, then upped to 9k and now up to 20k in the Pug 206. I was not aware oil technology had advanced so much in such a short period of time....
Classic example is the PSU group 1124cc engine. In the Citroen
AX of 10 years ago the service interval was every 6k,
then upped to 9k and now up to 20k in the
Pug 206. I was not aware oil technology had advanced so
much in such a short period of time....

Miller,
I assume you are sceptical?

Well perhaps oil technology has improved that much. There could have been modifications to the engine, oil filter etc or that experience has shown that previously the manufacturer was being over-cautious. Probably a combination of all three factors.

There is an argument by some in this thread that the only reason a manufacturer extends service intervals is to appeal to Fleet managers who will have lower running costs; and it doesn't matter if engine life is reduced. Well I wouldn't think that that particular engine is used on many fleet vehicles and in other countries a much lower proportion of cars are company owned.

Some people service their cars more often as the manufacturer feels necessary - and why not if it makes them happy. However the motor industry employs scientists and engineers who spend huge sums on research into this subject and yet there are many laymen with apparently more knowledge - or is it just a failure to move with the times?

Cardew,

I do understand your point and I do not think I have more technical knowledge than the manufacturers - or than you for that matter.

Any oil change interval, long or short, is a compromise between wear and cost/inconvenience, and I think the compromise is stretched in one direction in the UK because service intervals have become a competitive issue in this market.

Interesting example. Our Civic has a service interval of 12000. If it was in New Zealand, it would have an oil change every 6000 (for "normal" conditions) or 3000 for "severe" conditions. "Severe" includes any one of a number of factors one of which is "driving less than 5 miles per trip" - not uncommon in the UK where 12000 would be deemed adequate. What credible explanation can there be for that other than market forces?

In all honesty - would you really be unconcerned to buy a VW turbo diesel with with 59000 miles that has had only the 2 scheduled oil changes? Does anyone know whether the interval is different on VW/Audi products outside the EU?

M
Manatee,
Cockle was referring to the Mercedes Sprinter in the original post and I assume that is what you mean rather than a VW turbo diesel?

I have looked on the Internet and cannot see where the 30,000 miles between oil changes figure comes from. However on the Mercedes UK website I can't get the pages to scroll for some reason.

It seems that the Sprinter has a variable servicing interval and the highest claim I have seen is UP TO 30,000Km.(18,750miles) 'What Van' also says up to 30,000Km servicing interval.

However it is pertinent to point out that Mercedes UK have a standard 3 year unlimited mileage warranty on the latest Sprinter - according to 'What Van'. So they must be pretty confident of its durability.

A computer that determines the variable servicing interval has been used by several manufacturers in the past. IIRC BMW had a series of LED lights on the dashboard that went out progressively until the service was due. Again IIRC there was a fuss when some cars had a very short interval between services. I suspect that a Sprinter used for stop start deliveries with a cold engine would require servicing a lot more often than one driven sedately on the motorway. Not that I have ever seen a Sprinter driven slowly.
C
Cardew, I am happy to be corrected - IIRC I have been told of VWs requiring 20,000 mile changes - therefore at 59,000 miles there would have been 2 scheduled, at 20,000 & 40,000, with one imminently due so I am of course taking the extreme case to make the point.
M

I have to agree with Manatee on this one. Oil change intervals def. are a compromise between wear and cost, and service intervals in this country are stretched to suit the fleet market.

BTW i certainly wouldnt want a 59,000 mile VW turbo diesel with two oil changes...
Manatee,
Just looked at the VW UK website and indeed under the 'longlife regime' oil change intervals can be extended by up to 30,000 miles for turbo diesels - special oil and the engine monitors oil condition etc. Details on:

www.vw.co.uk/assets/Longlife_servicing.pdf

I don't have a problem with that, but it would be interesting to see what the service intervals work out to in 'Real World' motoring.

C
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - M.M
I'm always going to be the other end of the bar from Cardew on this one, Manatee makes good points...as does Miller with a perfect example (Peugeot 206 petrol with 20K oil changes) of extended intervals not being down to design but whim.

Had a 206 recently where the owner had let theirs go "a bit over" before coming for a service. Problem was "a bit over" 20Kmls was actually nearer 25Kmls. This is not the first time I've seen a 206 interval drawn out by the owner encouraged by the makers already lengthy intervals.

The (cartridge type so it was easy to inspect) oil filter had partially collapsed with splits allowing unfiltered oil through. I've seen this before and I hear this type of oil filter failure is not unknown at Peugeot dealers.

Another asociated issue is owners who assume modern vehicles don't really need the "old fashioned" checks doing and you find the oil level a drip at the bottom of the dipstick. On the 206 above I drained out just over 2lit... of the almost 4lit it should contain!

That 2lit of oil, aged by 25Kmls and partially unfiltered, is spelling an early demise for that engine isn't it.

Makers and dealers have to shoulder much of the blame here. All they push is the styling, met paint, air-con, alloys and CD player leaving the owners to think the whole car is efficiently looked after by some magic computer that takes care of all the dirty bits.

In my opinion 5l of semi-syn and a filter every 6Kmls/6mths is the cheapest way of keping an engine on track long term.

And it isn't just the oil is it. 20K is too long to go without anyone looking over a car to see the safety related components are all OK, a great deal can happen in 20K that could be either dangerous or potentially damaging.

Coolant leaks, oil leaks, bulges/splits in tyres, ruined tyres due to tracking errors, blown bulbs, exhausts failing such that they may drop on the road, rear brake cylinders starting to leak, front pads almost down to the metal, broken springs, leaking dampers, those wonderful long life spark plugs slowly bonding themselves to the head...... All these things and more can be caught if seen in time.

Interestingly if you look in the detail of virtually any service book you will see a range of conditions that will trigger a major reduction (usually half) in the service interval mileage. I've just looked on the database of the cars I look after and see 60% of them fall into the reduced mileage interval type use. A further 20% are driven hard on constantly low oil levels, often not checked betwen services, so would also benefit from reduced mileage intervals.

OK so my folks may not fit the "average" profile but what may be better would be if the makers advised a 6mth/6K oil change interval (with a main service at 12mths/12K) by default and then advised vehicles being run on a commercial or business basis could have their intervals extended.

And you say it isn't all marketing Cardew. Why then hasn't one of the owners I deal with ever had this "town use/short run" extra servicing requirement mentioned at the time of purchasing the car new? It's because at the point of sale no servicing being needed until the car has reached 20K seems very attractive to to the buyer and a strong selling point.

Anyway must get out and do some work, my TD needs an oil change as its been 5K since the last one. ;-)

M.M
M.M,
I agree we are looking at this situation from different ends of the telescope. I do take your point that with extended service intervals there must be 'common sense' checks carried out.

The last thing I want to do is stand up for Peugeot but let us take your "perfect example" of the 206 with its 20k Services. Below is an extract from the Peugeot website, which I have little doubt is in the handbook:

"Peugeot recommend an intermediate visit between two services, which consists of a levels check and top-up (oil up to 1 litre, coolant and screen wash). This is carried out free of charge, provided that the maintenance of your vehicle has been carried out within the Peugeot network. It is important the engine oil level be checked between services as a lack of oil can lead to serious engine damage. At the same time, your Peugeot dealer will offer you a Peugeot Safety Check, for a nominal fee. This provides a full report on the condition of key safety items such as tyres, brake pads and lighting.

Your example is for someone who did not follow the advice above, additionally exceeded the service interval by 5,000miles and had a filter with a manufacturing defect.

I agree with you that many dealers do not explain servicing requirements fully and many owners simply do not read the handbook which details checks to be carried out by the owner. I agree also that the more often the car is inspected by a garage OR owner the more likely faults will be noted.

My argument is that following the manufacturer's service schedule is sufficient to keep the car in good order and that with modern engines and oils it is not necessary to change engine oils as we did in days of yore. However following the Servicing Schedule means just that, with all the checks the manufacturer lays down. In my view it is not a counter-argument to say people won't comply with the schedule so we should change the engine oil twice or three times as frequently as recommended.

C
Cardew,

Your extract from the Peugeot website confirms why it seems a perfect example(it is word for word what is in the car's handbook).

They are concerned enough about these service intervals being too long to offer a basic levels etc check free of charge at 10K, and encourage you to have an interim safety check at the same time..for a nominal fee. Elsewhere in their information they advise halving the service/oil change intervals in cases of what we might call short run useage.

So for many users of 206s (town/shopping/school run cars) it would be more upfront to say the servicing was in fact more frequent than the magic 20K figure which is the one the car will be sold on in the showroom.

I quite agree the potential damage to the car I mentioned was finally the result of the user going way over the 20K interval, but it wouldn't have mattered nearly so much if they went 5K over a 6K interval.

Oh and I don't think the filters are faulty as such...I think they collapse due to pressure when clogged at these higher mileages, and then split at the weakest point. Maybe a design fault though if they plan them to be left in so long.

I am realistic, owners rarely read through the whole of a vehicle handbook and service book after purchase. Even if they do these extra servicing details are usually hard to find.

I will concede it is possible that engines may well last to their design age/mileage following these extended schedules....

But only if they are constantly used on long runs, they are never caned, the oil is always to the max mark, the correct quality oil is always used at services and for topping up, and that the extended intervals are never stretched. Very much like bench test conditions really.

Real life use and human nature gets in the way of all that though!

M.M
M.M.
Perhaps we are not that far apart in our views after all.

Like you I would also emphasise the type of usage as being important to allow extended mileages before servicing. This is the reason why Mercedes(which is where this thread started) and VW have a system to monitor the condition of the oil and the quoted service is always "up to" X or Y miles.

C
>>Perhaps we are not that far apart in our views after all.

Very likely. I think possibly it matters not so much which system you adhere to but that you understand "why" you follow a particular one, its advantages and the possible pitfalls.

Good Friday workout though...thanks. I'm tuned up enough to get an early start on tomorrow's Xantia clutch change!

M.M

Extended service intervals, gone daft? - daveyjp
My Audi is currently on 18,500 and showing 8,100 to first service - so not far off the 30,000 miles. I do about 12,000 miles per annum. I have read of an Audi needing service after 7,000 miles using the variable system, but this was someone doing a small amount of miles per year - less than 5,000 IIRC.VAG cars have to be serviced every two years regardless of the indicator - my two years and the service indicator will probably just about coincide.
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - GIM
Has anybody considered that maybe the enormous advances in metallurgy could be a factor as opposed to 'has oil really improved that much'.....????
Extended service intervals, gone daft? - Andrew-T
The 1124cc PSA engine may be an interesting example of manufacturers learning and adjusting maintenance schedules. When it appeared in the 205 in 1983 (it may have a longer history) it had a chain-cam, being converted to belt-cam in 1988. There was no recommendation about belt life, though as failures began to show, the 50K-change message spread without actually appearing in the schedule. (My daughter had one fail just after a dealer service at 51K - they didn't suggest a change). Now PSA belts typically say 72K, though Haynes still prefer to reduce this for peace of mind.