New car purchase - oldgit
Are VW's the most reliable of cars available today? Until I searched HJ's website I was convinced that a purchase of a new VW Golf or the VW Bora might be a good buy but now I'm not so sure. When I sat in the Bora, in particular, I was immediately impressed by the quality of the fit and finish but all this is wasted if, after purchase, the car then produces a litany of faults throughout the ensuing years
Can initial impressions on sitting in these cars in the showroom be so dissipated by reading all the adverse comments concerning faults and recalls on these models? I know that is practically impossible to buy any car that is perfect but it seems that the Japanese cars reign, according to the statistics. In my shortlist of new cars to buy, I have listed the Toyota Corolla but am rather put off by the low overall gearing in top gear, where it is < 20 mph/1000rpm.

New car purchase - Canon Fodder
OldGit,

Plenty of current problems with Corrolas and Yaris' as well on this site.

Mazda, Nissan, Ford and maybe Vauxhall, are starting to get a better reputation.

One key thing to avoid is buying a car with a known problem, e.g. recent VAG ignition coil, or Ford TDCI engines, both sorted out now I believe.

Best of Luck

CF [another Old Git]

New car purchase - Borafeck
Perhaps, some faults are genuine?? I have had 2 VW Bora's in the last 4yrs and I have had no problems atall. I am just about to trade my Bora in for a Passat, impending baby arrival and more boot space required. I would tell anyone to go for a Bora, only thing I would say is, buy the Diesel version.

Good Luck.
New car purchase - runboy
Golf-may as well look at Seat Leons/Toledos.

The new Astra is said to have quality to match, if not beat, the golf in most areas.

I would just say that VW quality isn't what it used to be. This at least means you can open the field a bit and view other makes. Mazda3 for example.

I have had problems with my latest style Corolla. So much for Japanese build quality eh?
New car purchase - SR
By all means look at Leons instead of Golfs, but don't expect them all to be well-built or completely reliable either.
New car purchase - runboy
I think it is getting more and more difficult to say which car is better quality/more reliable these days.

I had a Leon. It was a fantastic car. I had two brand new Audi's after the Leon. Both absolutely tosh. Worse quality I ever had. First Audi was replaced by the dealer for one with more problems. The Corolla I have now isn't much better.

I'm going back to SEAT next time.

Or you could try Skoda. The trouble is with SEAT and Skoda are residuals. People still tar them with the brand brush, yet I rate them more than VW and more people should!
New car purchase - madf
My Audi A4 was unrelaible: a/c, suspension, etc
Tried an A2 could not engage 5th gear when cold!

Bought a Ford and no problems..

Would buy Japanese/Ford or BMW.

Never VW/Audi/Rover/Saab as expensive or unreliable or both.

madf