Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - Grib
I have a Rover 416 with about 43K on the clock, I usually only use the car for short journeys and it has recently started pinking under load, I\'m assuming this is due to the engine being coked up because of the short journeys etc (I have replaced the plugs and checked for air leaks). Has anyone used 10K Boost (or anything similar) to decoke an engine, if so does it work?. Also does anyone have any tips on how to prevent coking up when the car is only used for short journeys?
Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - davef
by coincedence I was going to post something about Pinking. Our Citroen ZX of many years and 60K regularly pinks. Last service the local garage claimed that modern cars never pink then announced that one of the cylinders wasn't firing so replaced the leads. It seemed to improve but the pinking is now back with avengance.
Let's hope someone out there can provide guidance.

Cheers and good luck, Dave
Has anyone tried 10K boost at all?
Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - Cyd
I tried Slick 50 fuel treatment in my wifes badly coked Metro 1.1 K. I was amazed that it actually did a decent job of cleaning out the motor and it's been fine ever since (about 40k).
How long did it take to clean out?
Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - steveo30
ive used 10k ,i did seem a little better after....id advise a good long hard run,warm the engine up and drive it through the gears hard right up to the red line a few times,it will do no harm to your engine and it clears out the cobwebs

another tip is to use red ex...you can tip a little down each plug hole..let it soak overnight then fire her up..it'l smoke alot ...then take it for another hard run
Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - Civic8
Kinda surprised you havent worked it out for yourself.no engine likes being run for short journeys.so the answer would be to take it on a run around at least once a week.ie use revs in 1st and 2nd gears to around 4500rpm just to burn off the carbon.you don`t have to break the speed limit to do it.but that will help
in preventing carbon build up.and don`t worry about the grey smoke from exhaust it is only clearing the carbon.that should help without using any additives.?
Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - springyboy
Have you tried running it on Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate? Higher octane ratings may reduce the pinking, and the added detergents may remove some of the deposit buildup.
Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - billy25
have i got it wrong, i thought "pinking" was caused by using too low octane fuel, and a sign of a "carboned" engine was that it continues to run-on for a short while after engine switched off (detonation?). if this is the case, then i don't think 416's engine may actually be "sooted-up".
please correct me, i'm here to learn,

billy.
Pinking can be caused by a variety of things;
Low octane fuel, weak mixture, build up of carbon etc. I am assuming that my pinking is caused by a build up of carbon because of the way the car is used.
Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - 3500S
Sounds like an Italian tune up job is required.

I had a similar problem with an often laid-up Rover 620 as I could walk to work in 15 minutes and it only got used at weekends for short journeys.

A liberal dose of STP injector cleaner followed in the next brimmed tank by Slick 50 and super unleaded and liberal use of the accelerator pedal and gears on a 50 miles sorted it out.
So it may not be necessary to spend £20-25 on 10K Boost by the sound of things.
Pinking/10K boost - Rover 416 - Civic8
Put it this way I have a 414i.it only doe`s short runs.about once a week/fortnight.I give it a hard run on local motorway (there is a stretch without any s/cameras)I accelerate ie foot to floor in 1st second and third to around 4500rpm in all those gears.I do get a lot of carbon blowing out exhaust but it runs a treat after.