bmw e39 spec - terryd
due to the awfulness of the new 5 series, i'm trying to replace my very high spec 12/98 528 with one of the last of the e39s either 530i or 530d. Nobody seems able to tell me whether or not the 'comfort seats' which i have in mine were available on the 2001/2 models. i've been told the only choice then was 'standard' or 'sport'. true or false ?? if anybody has a late e39 spec or extras brochure, i'd be v.interested.
terryd
bmw e39 spec - Dizzy {P}
Terry,

I got close to buying a new or nearly new E39 during 2001/2002; decided against new because the E60 was looming and then decided against nearly-new because they all seemed to have been grabbed by franchised dealers whose prices appeared cartel-like. Ended up with a new Rover 75CDT; half the price and twice as handsome as an E60.

Comfort seats were definitely on the E39 'extras' list in 2001/2002, at a cost of around £2000. However I think they are very rarely found on used E39s; I don't recall seeing any at all, though I wasn't particularly looking for them.
bmw e39 spec - terryd
Dizzy,
Many tks. You are dead right, they are v.rare but at least i\'ve now had it confirmed that they were available.
Terry
bmw e39 spec - J.B.
Terry I have the last E39 brochure (I bought one of the last 530d sport Aegean blue editions as I foresaw the probs with the E60).
Re: comfort seats, the brochure lists them at £1730 on the sport and £2195 on the SE both come with electric seats, memory,lumbar support, and electric steering column.(only available with leather upholstery) I researched the E39 extensively and believe you'll be more than lucky to find the seats with the rest of the spec you want, unless thats all you are bothered about. Very few cars to my knowledge had them. The sports seats are pretty good but lack lumbar.
I've been considering changeing mine for a Boxter (midlife crisis). Must haves on the BM appear to be Auto, leather, and big wheels for resale purposes so unless you hate the standard or sports seats then your cash might be better spent elsewhere. All the best they are great cars.
bmw e39 spec - terryd
J.B.,
Many thanks. I bought my 528 in Berlin as I was working there and all the extras were well below UK prices (as was the car), in fact I was intrigued to find that the UK main dealers were not only fleecing us on the new car prices, but on the extras too eg leather in Germany was half the UK price. Anyway the Comfort Seats (with heat) are brilliant but I know I'll be lucky to find another like mine. Interestingly, the cheapest extra, electric folding mirrors, has probably turned out to be the most useful !!
Your 530d might interest me if you're thinking of selling.
Cheers
Terry
bmw e39 spec - J.B.
Terry,
If you would like the spec of my car then e-mail me at junk@chrisps.com. I can certainly give you more info on the diesel. (may be a delay in reply as its a filter address)