Polo spluttering - dba
have polo 1.4 petrol, been sitting on the drive with hardly any petrol in, took it up the road today to refill and car is spluttering even with £20 of petrol in tank i put in.

changed the fuel filter around 10,000 miles ago (car has done 60k).
what are the chances of dirt being sucked up from bottom of tank and blocking the jets and if so how easy is it to clean or fix problem. and would this be the problem?

any advice would be welcome, sorry for the lack of info!

cheers
Polo spluttering - Dynamic Dave
As the tank had hardly any petrol in and has been sitting on the drive (you don't mention how long for) it might be that the near empty tank has condensated up in the cold weather and subsequently contaminated what petrol was left with water. There are fuel aditives these days that *claim* to remove water from petrol - how good they are at doing so though....
Polo spluttering - DL
The only additiive I can endorse that gets water out of fuel is Wynns Dry Fuel - it works, believe me. A car drove through the water at Tarr Steps on Exmoor - we drained the tank and put a little fuel back in; it still played up.

We drained it again, added a couple of gallons with two cans of dry fuel, and no more problems.

I've also used it successfully on Rover Metros - with rusty fuel filler necks=water in fuel tank. Cheaper than stripping the tank out.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Polo spluttering - dba
car been there for around 3 weeks. friend who is mecanic said polo has good filtering system so would unlikely be crap thats been sucked up into fuel system.
its been very cold past few weeks so id go on the theory of water in fuel supply.
mite nip down 2 halfords and get some of that Dry Fuel stuff.
Polo spluttering - Peter D
Worth running an injection cleaner through it anyway but people go on holiday for 3 weeks and don't espect this sort of problem. I would check the resistance of all plug and king leads should be around 1 to 1.5 K ohms per foot. Check dist cap and rotar. Good Luck. Regards Peter
Polo spluttering - dba
puit wynn's Dry Fuel in and problem is still there. spark plugs were changed only 8000 miles ago (bosch)

any other ideas - need to sell the car pretty soon and its doing my head in!
Polo spluttering - dba
checked spark plugs last nite and they are fine. anyone got any ideas? im desperate here!!
Polo spluttering - Dynamic Dave
Leads? As suggested by Peter D.

Polo spluttering - Peter D
Thanks Dave. As I said check lead resistance, this is a very common fault and often caused by corrosion of the insert into the sentre of the plug lead. Peter
Polo spluttering - dba
took it to garage and they hooked it up to the computer, changed rotor, leads and dist. cap - all working smoothly now tho they charged me 100 squid! what a joke.
Polo spluttering - billy25
£100 squid !!!, bet you started spluttering instead of polo!!
Polo spluttering - dba
yeah u could say they - wasnt HP.

though least its fixed now and i can sell it
Polo spluttering - No Do$h
Don't let PoloGirl find out there's a Polo for sale. With her record it's time she switched to a different type of car.....
Polo spluttering - dba
pologirl my bonnet is very secure!!!