Rusting alloys - BobbyG
My 2001 Scenic's alloys have bits of rust and bubbling on them. Any idea if I would be able to claim under rust warranty with Renault or will these be excluded? Car has done 24k.
Rusting alloys - Altea Ego
Sorry Bobby, Bodywork only. Wheels excluded. YOu could try and prove they were faulty manufacture, but not a promising line of attack.
Rusting alloys - Imagos
alloys dont rust they corrode?
Rusting alloys - Andrew-T
imag - what difference do you see between rusting and corroding? Chemically identical.
Nope chemically different. No iron oxide on an alloy wheel.
Sorry RF - chemically identical. Trust me - I'm a chemist (or was). Rust is corrosion, usually of iron or steel, granted. But the process is the same, normally oxidation.
Rusting alloys - Imagos
imag - what difference do you see between rusting and corroding?
Chemically identical.

ok fair enough, i thought that rust occured only on iron/steel anyway i dont know about warranty claim i thought i would be highly unlikely of any satifactory outcome especially on 3 year old vehicle. The best advice i could give would be clean alloys regulary using a non corrosive cleaner and dont let brake dust bake on as i'm sure this aggrivates the corrosion.... or rust!
Rusting alloys - J Bonington Jagworth
Nearly all alloy wheels are painted or lacquered to preserve their appearance, and some wheels seem to weather much better than others. Those with sharp edges on the spokes (especially those made to look as though the whole wheel has been turned on a lathe - a favourite on 4x4's for some reason) seem to suffer the worst, while those with smooth contours (e.g. old Peugeot Gti's) look better longer, on the whole.

What are yours like?
Rusting alloys - L'escargot
No corrosion on the alloys of my 1999 Focus Ghia after 72,000 miles. Mind you, they've never been kerbed! I suspect that most corrosion is initiated by damage to the protective laquer.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Rusting alloys - Sooty Tailpipes
Steel is an alloy too.
Rusting alloys - Imagos
try 'rust' then 'corrosion' on www.dictionary.com

yes your correct, its the same thing!!

thats that settled then.
rust.
"A visible corrosion product consisting of hydrated oxides of iron. Applied only to *ferrous* alloys."
Where does the hydrated oxides of iron come from in an alloy wheel? (serious question for my education)

Rusting alloys - BobbyG
My alloys are the ten spoke variety. On the outside of the wheel each spoke is "curved" and no corrosion evident. All the corrosion is in the "inside" of the spoke where it would appear to be more of a 90 degree angle.

I have used wonder wheels various times over the last 2 and a half years , probably no more than, say, half a dozen times though.
RF - probably from the steel brake discs. :o)
"steel brake discs"

As we seem to be in pedantic mode, I feel obliged to point out that these are usually made of iron - although, of course, this doesn't invalidate your argument. :-)
If we are quoting dictionaries - Webster's has:
(meaning 1a, similar to RF's);
1b: the somewhat similar coating produced on any of various other metals by corrosion.
Matter closed?
Rusting alloys - Imagos
i think this thread should be put to bed,

by the way what does pedantic mean?

now where's my dictionary.

(corrosion's only a posh word for rust anyway!)

GOODNIGHT!!
Rusting alloys - Dizzy {P}
The lacquer was flaking off the alloys on my Triumph 2500 and they were very badly pitted with corrosion when I obtained them in 1986 (from a 1975 Triumph 2500S) so I skimmed the surface back to sound metal and then polished them, but didn't lacquer them.

They don't sparkle but they still have no corrosion, one reason being that I regularly clean off any salty deposits and brake dust and re-polish them every two or three years with Solvisol chromium cleaner. I actually prefer their satin finish as opposed to a highly polished plasticky finish.

I suspect that lacquer protects alloys when it is sound but accelerates corrosion when it starts to lift because it traps salts and ferrous dust.

There are also lots of different grades of aluminium alloy and their rate of corrosion varies considerably. Some, like LM6, are more durable but also more expensive and difficult to machine. I don't know which grades are used in alloy wheels.
Rusting alloys - NARU
This thread reminds of when my father designed electricity meters - some of which still had the rotating aluminium disc.

Anyway, some of these meters wouldn't meet the calibration specs, and he couldn't work out why. The only clue was some rust coloured marks. He spoke to the aluminium suppliers. All drawing a blank. I was doing 'A' level chemistry so I got my teacher on the case.

He managed to track it down eventually. The disks are painted, and whilst he checked all the spray equipment and the paint, he hadn't spotted that the ladies on the night shift were drying the paint faster by using an airline. The specks were coming from the airfeed.

The source of rust on the aluminium solved. Shame it took 3 months to do it!
Rusting alloys - NARU
Meant to say ... so don't dry out that filler or wet paint using an airgun!
Rusting alloys - BobbyG
Hate to deviate, but anyone got any advice on my original point???? :)
I think the answer was no, unless it really is rust, in which case you might be able to claim that they were not made of the advertised material!
Marlot, I'm sure this is the only site where someone could actually point to some rusty aluminium!