do you need new tyres ????? - xsaradriver
Just had four new tyres fitted from national chain advertising in the national press. Tyres are tigar a bulgarian make. very impressed with them low noise and smooth ride with them. better than my 5 yr old michelins, any replacement would be better i suppose. Total cost £112 for 4 new tyres ,valves ,balancing and disposal of old ones took approx 15min. Worth a try if you are looking for replacements
do you need new tyres ????? - googolplex
c'mon, which chain's that then? Spill the beans. Need to get 4 on Mrs Splodges's Micra - Kwikfit were quoting over £60 per tyre for Michelins, and didn't have sets of anything else. No way I'm paying that! Yours sounds v reasonable. How sure are you they will last?
Splodgeface
do you need new tyres ????? - StuW
I think both Kwik Fit and National Tyres are doing a deal for £60 for 4 tyres obviously going to be budget rather than brand tyres but seems a pretty good deal to me.
do you need new tyres ????? - Aprilia
Tigar have been around for a few years. I've never been that impressed by East Europeran tyres though - they always seem to need a box full of balance weights to stop them shaking.

You could go ffor a 'second line' Western tyre (i.e. Courier, Kelly etc.).
£60 seems a lot for a small tyre. I bought some Goodyear NCT5 205/65VR16's for £55ea. fitted and balanced from local tyre dealer.
do you need new tyres ????? - Dizzy {P}
xsaradriver,

Could it be that they are 'smoother' simply because they are new, i.e. they have around 8mm of tread to cushion the bumps?

As for quietness, smooth 'slicks' will be the quietest of all, but not much good in the wet.

Also, as has been suggested, you can't know how long they will last. In my experience, some cheap tyres have only half the life of dearer ones, even when made by the same parent company.

It may be that you have hit on some good tyres, and I hope you have, but I think it's early days to be recommending them over known makes that have already proven themselves.
do you need new tyres ????? - frostbite
I bought a car with two Tigars on the front a few years ago. IIRC they had kerbing rings.

At around 65-75mph they self oscillated to an extent that the noise drowned out the radio or conversation - a terrible drumming noise like an old motorboat.

Tigars would not be my first choice in the tyre shop.
do you need new tyres ????? - RichardW
>At around 65-75mph they self oscillated to an extent that the >noise drowned out the radio or conversation - a terrible >drumming noise like an old motorboat.

Hmm, my Xantia has got Tigars on the back, and has started exhibiting exactly these symptoms. Not sure if a weight has maybe fallen off, or if I have just reached the resonant frequency of these tyres - will get them balanced and see what happens. They were not new when I got the car and I have done 25k since then, and they don't seem to have worn much - car is a bit skittery at the rear in the wet - will be fitting Goodyear Eagle Venturas the match the fronts if I can get some when replacement time comes.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
message for splodgeface - xsaradriver
national tyre and autos, also offering oilchange and filter for £10-15. always advertise in daily express, mirror etc