Flickering oil light Rover 414 - Reg the Rover
Rover 414 Sli 1990 'H' - just had the headgasket replaced for the 2nd time at 102K miles including skim, new oil, new cam belt and thermostat. Now 600 miles after the repair at 70 mph speed runs the oil light flickers on/off when I come to a stop or changing down in the gears - I can get it to go out at tickover by throtling up the tick over to about 950/1000rpm. Any ideas please as to what is the cause? - I did think that it may be still gummed up with some mayonaise that is obstructing the oil flows.
Flickering oil light Rover 414 - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Hi Reg,

Assuming the oil filter was changed along with the oil, the first thing you should do is replace the oil pressure warning light sender unit (fitted into the oil filter housing on this engine, I think). If the light still flickers you need to find someone with a proper oil pressure gauge (wich can be fitted in place of the sender unit) to establish the real pressure and compare this to specs.

Regards, Adam
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.
Many thanks for your reply - I'm not sure if the oil filter was actually changed so I will do this first and then try the other items in the sequence you suggested
Flickering oil light Rover 414 - Cyd
Worn oil pump?

Get the actual pressure checked with a guage as Adam sugests.
Flickering oil light Rover 414 - Cliff Pope
It's odd that this has suddenly happened. It suggests that the oil filter may not be the correct one, or you have switched to a thinner oil.
I've now changed the oil filter and I put back in the 'new' oil. After a 20 mile run there is no hint of the oil light coming opn at all so fingers crossed that I might have solved it.