Golf GTI tyres - Ben
I'm currently looking for two new tyres for my MK3 GTI. I bought the car used with 4 virtually brand new Pirelli tyres and now 2 need replacing shortly. From what I've been quoted for Pirelli's, I don't think my budget stretches quite that far! The mid priced tyres that I keep getting quoted for are Avon, Toyo and Goodyear. I'm tempted to go with Goodyear simply 'cos they are a more well known brand. Any suggestions of tyres or good deals at the moment?
Re: Golf GTI tyres - Ben Chapman
The Goodyear Eagle F1's are good tyres, and used to be available from www.tyressoldonline.com or something. Other than that, Euro Crap Parts does Falcon tyres at very reasonable prices.

Ben
Re: Golf GTI tyres - Ben Chapman
Interesting findings. The F1's won the Autocar tyre test this year, but im not convinced the result were as impartial as they may claim. Incidentaly, i use Bridgestone Potenza SO-2's which i think are excellent- better than my friends F1's which he used on the same car. However, they are not cheap tyres, and are now superceeded by the SO-3.

Ben
Re: Golf GTI tyres - Ben
Thanks to everyone - it's been really helpful. I've managed to find Pirelli P700-Z's for £65 (each) fully fitted from Motorway- so I'm going with them. I've got them at the moment and I've had 25,000 miles out of them and the seem pretty quiet. I've had no trouble in the wet, dry or snow (touch wood)!!

Just out of interest - I previously owned a Golf Driver bought second hand with 4 Michelins on it (not brand new) - they were slightly noisier than the pirelli's I have now but when I sold the car on they were still OK, 30,000 miles later!!
Re: Golf GTI tyres - steve hw
I used Toyo's on my mk3 gti, seemed to have better grip both in the dry and wet and we're quiter than the Goodyear F1 i had on before, but the fronts only lasted 8-10k miles- maybe something to do with my driving style!
Steve
Golf GTI tyres - David Lacey
I had two Toyo's on the front of my MKII Golf VR6 and they wore out in less than 5000 miles - not good. Never again.

My advice - stick to something well known - Goodyear and Pirelli are good.

David