Handbrake Stuck! Pug 306. - PeugeotMan
When I release the handbrake the brakes are still on. I\'ve tried gently going back and forward to release them but no joy yet.
Its a N reg Peugeot 306 by the way.

Any ideas?
Handbrake Stuck! - Deryck Tintagel
Does this happen only when it has been driven in the wet? If it is anything like my old Cavalier it would do the same after being washed. The RAC man said it was the shoes sticking to the drum - possibly the shoe rivets rusting to the drum?

The advice was leave the car in gear with the handbrake off when it was wet.
Handbrake Stuck! - PeugeotMan
Hi Deryck,

Thanks for the reply.

This might be the case. It happened once a few weeks ago. Can't remember if it had been raining or not.

The question is can I easily unstick them or is it a garage job?
Having re read what I posted earlier I see its not too clear so here goes again.

The foot brake normally works fine. At the moment although I can manually move the handbrake lever into the off position, the brakes are still on at the rear. The lever doesn't feel slack or any different to normal. The car hasn't been moved since Monday.

Cheers,

John.
Handbrake Stuck! - RichardW
You should be able to free them off by trying to drive off forwards and backwards a few times. If not you can try jacking it up, taking the rear wheels off and hitting the brake drums *CAREFULLY* with a block of wood. If neither of these gets them off then you really are a bit stuck as the drums will have to come off, and that isn't going to be easy with the handbrake stuck on! Either way it sounds like it needs some attention if it has happened more than once recently.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Handbrake Stuck! - Andrew-T
Used to get stuck handbrakes in Canada because of freezing, so quickly learnt to park the car using gears instead. If that is not the cause, it is probably overnight rusting with all the recent rain - especially if you have been driving through deep water. If not, maybe the shoes aren't pulling off the drums far enough to prevent a contact film of water. Happens a lot with disc brakes because they get wet more easily.
Thanks for the replies :-) It came unstuck eventually, so I think it probably is overnight rusting. I'm not too keen to leave it in gear as we are on a very slight slope. If I take it out for a spin and brake hard a few times will this solve the rust problem?
Handbrake Stuck! - kithmo
Look for signs of leaking brake fluid on the back of the wheels, if the wheel cylinders are leaking slightly then the fluid will stick the shoes to the drums as it becomes a sticky gunge when mixed with brake dust and heated up (heated during braking). I would dismantle them now, while you have got them free, to investigate.
Handbrake Stuck! - Civic8
If the brake shoes have rivets then would understand the rusting and not releasing.But then that would tell you it`s time to replace the shoe`s.bonded shoe`s if worn down to metal
will cause it and also tell you it`s time to replace in both cases it means the rear brakes are not working at their best it is a good idea to take the drums off and inspect.But it may be the release lever`s are sticking whether by rust or dust both will cause the same problem.So it would be best to check it out.
possibly a good clean out will help.In most cases it doe`s
If I take it out for a spin and brake hard a few times will this solve the rust problem?

it may not be rust but I doubt it will go away need to have drums off and inspect for your own safety
Handbrake Stuck! - Dynamic Dave
I see that you've finally freed them off. Now that you have done so, whip off the drums and file a chamfer on the each end of the shoes - taking care not to breathe in any dust.
OK - Now I have to admit to being a bit thick :-)

Whats a chamfer?
Handbrake Stuck! - Civic8
A chamfer is where you rub the edge`s ie all four sides of the brake shoe to normaly prevent the shoe from making a sqeel when braking.There is another word for it but can`t remember off hand
some call it triming.Don`t see how this will help though?
Handbrake Stuck! - Dynamic Dave
Another word is taper or bevel. Basically you file a 45 degree angle or thereabouts at each end of the shoe. An old Vaux Astramax van that I had access to at work used to suffer from a sticky handbrake. After going into the garage for the 3rd time with the same fault, one of the older experienced mechanics showed the young \'uns what to do - as they had all previously failed to rectify it. Never had any more problems with it.
Handbrake Stuck! - DL
I reckon the brake lining has come away from the shoe.

Has been a common problem for u over the last few (wet) weeks
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link