Faltering Nissan Cherry - whizzkidd-2004
Hi,

I?m a 22 year old student and I have been given a 1985 C Nissan Cherry 1.3GS. The bodywork is in reasonable condition for the cars age ? especially as they were renowned for having bodywork trouble and the engine looks OK although there are a few little niggles:-

When started from cold (all electrical items off, in neutral, depress the clutch, pump the accelerator to the floor twice then turn the key without touching the accelerator) it fires after about three turns of the starter and it runs at a fast tickover on the auto choke and seems to tick over without any problem. If I then select Reverse and reverse a few yards as I apply the brakes and put my clutch in ready to do a hillstart in first and drive off the car stalls. I then just repeat the above (clutch in, turn the key without touching the accelerator) and it fires but then feels like its running on three cylinders so when I put my foot down slightly to increase the idle speed it starts spluttering and doesn?t seem to rev smoothly. I?ve only had the car for a couple of weeks and to be honest I?m scared to drive it in case it cuts out and won?t restart.

Also what petrol should I be using in it? I was told by the colleague of my Dad who bought it for his girlfriend to learn to drive in and she drove it a few times then decided she didn?t like it and then they split up and it had been sitting on his drive for 18 months bar a six month period when one of my Dad?s other colleagues borrowed it) to use Lead Replacement ? as the car was running on fumes when I was given it I put £20 of Lead Replacement in it and I?m wondering whether this is the problem as I thought that it would run on Unleaded.

We have a 3 acre farm in North Wales that we?re currently renovating and the car is only being used on our private land as I like driving and I did take driving lessons but decided that I didn?t want to carry on with them as I couldn?t see properly in the dark) and so give up now before danger struck and so it?s not as if the car is going to be used on the road.

If anyone could help me I?d be very grateful.

Keith
Faltering Nissan Cherry - dieselhead
Assuming you have checked for split vacuum hoses the trouble is
most likely caused by dirt/rust in the carb from the fuel tank going on my past expeience of owning these cars... also worth checking the carb fuel level using the 'window' in the carb body...if it's high/ low you need to bend the float seat.

After removing the carb, I would take off the top ..(have to be very careful not to damage the gasket it's very fragile)...then remove the various jets etc. and blow all the passages out with an airline.. It's very esy to lose the steel ball/spring etc. so care is needed.
The gauze filter behind the float needle valve needs checking as these can get totally choked up.. inlet manifold to head and carb to manifold bolts need to be checked for tightness to stop possible air leaks.

Best to buy a haynes manual if you don't have much experience with working on engines.
Unleaded petrol will be fine, allmost all Nissan/Datsun cars got hardened valve seats.