Renault Clio Expression + - Andy Page

I'm thinking about buying a new 1.2 Clio Expression + Five-door, and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has any advice, e.g.

Local dealer (Portsmouth) has a published list price of £8950 for the five-door - should I expect to get any discount from this and/or some sort of deal on optional extras such as metallic paint?

Renault's build quality reputation hasn't been too good in the past, but the models we've test-driven appear to stand up well enough to the competition (Corsa, Fiesta, Micra) - is this true in others' experience?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Renault Clio Expression + - Stuart B
Andy,
I was waiting for other's gems of wisdom here as SWMBO is now considering a Clio. But as no one seems to be biting the bullet here is my 2 pennorth.

Bit apprehensive because of the reliability and build comments by HJ, but its a better option than her first choice which was second hand RAV4. I know I know Mars & Venus discussion all over again.

Have driven a few rental Clio's recently, from 1.2 upwards. All had about 12k on, which is not much I agree, but if other renters are like me they get a hard life. In all cases nothing broke, fell off, good fuel economy, reasonable kit for the price, handling OK even on loose surface, ride very comfortable, space in the back bit so so.

Saw an advert last week for some reasonably priced (mid 7k) 1.5DCi Dynamiques at trade Sales of Slough which was either magnificently cheap, a come on or a misprint, who knows. The target price for the model you are quoting is around 8046 on whatcar.com.

Hope this helps, but would like to hear from others.

regds,
Stuart
Re: Renault Clio Expression + - Stuart B
Sorry 1.2 expression + 5 dr traget price is 8517 oops,
Re: Renault Clio Expression + - colin
Stuart

Despite all the flak from HJ and others I anticipate buying Renault - in my case a Scenic. Although I live just across the river from Trade Sales, I have decided not to buy from them. I did in fact call in and the quote was v attractive but ...

Won't go into all the history, but have heard some stories and there have been several critical posts on this forum.

Good luck anyway

Colin
Re: Renault Clio Expression + - colin
Stuart

Meant also to write that a reliable source tells me that TS sell approx 350 cars a month. I suggest on price rather than service, but still impressive!

Colin
Re: Renault Clio Expression + - T lucas
In the small car dept it's got to be a Toyota Yaris,the Renault build is just to fragile.
SEAT cars - David Lacey
Renault sheds come to mind.

Buy something German (VW)/Spanish(SEAT) instead.

Rgds

David
Re: Renault Clio Expression + - Andy Page
Many thanks to all those who replied to my query. Useful advice and much appreciated.