2.0HDi Xsara Camshaft timing belt - GeoPlay
I own a Citroen Xsara 2.0HDi which is nearly 4 years old and has approx. 36000 miles on the clock. I intend to keep the car for another 2 years or 50,000 miles before I sell it.
I would like to ask the experts 2 questions:-
1. When would you recommend I have the camshaft timing belt changed?
2. Would it be sensible to let my local garage, who service the car, fit the new belt? I ask this because the Haynes Manual states that Citroen recommend an electronic tool be used to tensioning the belt. A tool which my local garage does not have.
Any help would be appreciated.
2.0HDi Camshaft timing belt - volcane
If you are planning to change the car don't touch the belt not needed til 100,000 miles. Very important that any garage changing the belt exactly follows the citroen protocol. Friend got timing belt changed at local garage and wrecked engine, garage took no responsibility blaming the camshaft pulley which they should have changed as part of the procedure.

2.0HDi Camshaft timing belt - Quinny100
Citroen have been reccomending the use of the SEEM electronic tool to test belt tension for years now. Go into a Citroen dealers workshop and ask them to show you one, you'll find they either don't have one, it doesn't work, or nobody will know where it is because they never use it. The tool is used to check tension, not actually set it which is still done by hand. Every Citroen mechanic I've spoken to said they don't bother with the SEEM tool, they set it so that the belt can just be turned 90 degrees on its longest straight run.

Any garage should be able to change the belt, though they should be aware the bolts holding the cambelt covers on are secured with thread locking compound, and its a good idea to replace the crankshaft pulley as these are a common failiure point on the HDi engines.
2.0HDi Camshaft timing belt - GeoPlay
Quinny100,
Thanks for your reply. Could you check with your Citroen mechanics to see at what milage I should have the cam belt replaced. Please bear in mind that, as can be seen from the milage and age of the car, that most of my journeys are local being in the most less than 6 miles.
2.0HDi Camshaft timing belt - Andrew-T
Geo - I think the manual says 72K or 5 years for the cambelt, but cautious authorities say this might be pushing luck a bit. Over 5 years the rubber will age chemically, whether or not you do high miles. There is no reason why a competent independent garage should not change the belt - the emphasis is on Competent. If the task were too difficult, instuctions would not be in Haynes.
2.0HDi Camshaft timing belt - Quinny100
All 2.0HDi engines are scheduled for belt changes at 100k, no time is given.

However, a while back I was looking at ex-fleet 406 HDi's for a friend and many of the big mileage examples had had the belt done at 80k.

They're not really know for belt trouble though, and the tensioners are decent enough to last, so its really down to the individual owner.
2.0HDi Camshaft timing belt - DL
HDi engines are at 80,000 mile belt change intervals

Any garage worth it's salt should be capable of changing this belt.

And no, we don't use the SEEM tool either..
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
2.0HDi Camshaft timing belt - mgk luton beds
any repeat any fool that goes that far(ie changes cambelt)and dont change all rollers and tensioner inc inspect w/pump etc is asking for trouble!! while you are there!! its cheaper first time
Thats why Peugeot market a cambelt and roller kit, it ain't cheap but there again, an engine rebuild isn't cheap either!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
2.0HDi Camshaft timing belt - mgk luton beds
so do aftermarket shops/bosch kits/gates kits etc
gates make cambelts for vauxhalls and other car makes
I use QH belt & tensioner kits, myself.

Can't fault them, on price & quality.
--