vw golf mk4 - service requirements - dave m
I have a vw golf 1.6se which has done nearly 50,000 miles at it\'s next service. What should i have done to it-if anything? Does the cambelt need changing or the tensioners? Any suggestions at all would help thanks.
vw golf mk4 - Borafeck
Dave, put the car in for it's next service and let VW decide what is needed. I assume they will check everything and replace what is need, obviously telling you in the first instance.
If you start telling them to replace, you might end up having kittens trying to find a way to pay for the service. lol
vw golf mk4 - Ian D
Mmmmmmmm Borafeck, someone who obviously trusts a VW dealer to come out with a 100% honest opinion of what needs doing, in my opinion best to do the research yourself and tell the dealer what needs doing; and then to check that they have actually done it...
vw golf mk4 - service requirements - Kash

Grateful for an update. My 1.6 is due a service next week - 60,000 miles and the vw garage have already suggested the cambelt change. Did you do it??
vw golf mk4 - service requirements - JohnM{P}
Get the belt and tensioner changed - see HJ's Car by Car Breakdown:
"1.4 16v and 1.6 16v engines have plastic timing belt pulleys which can shatter after about 40,000 miles, throwing off the belt, now failing regularly, though fortunately the belts are rarely flung off when this happens."

JohnM