I have a question Volume 33 - Dynamic Dave

******* Thread now closed, please see volume 34 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19812

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC\'s. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 33. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

Cable Modem Tips - Welliesorter
By way of a follow-up to the discussion of cable modems in the previous thread, the fount of all knowledge on the subject is Robin Walker. His web site is at homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/ . It covers both NTL and Telewest cable modems in far more detail than the average user would ever need, but I can't recommend it highly enough.
Philips DVD recorder problem (cont) - Godfrey H {P}
My Philips DVDRW880 recorder has just started giving the error message: "Disc contains unknown data" when I put in a disc with a previously good recording. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the outcome please?

Reply to DD: good idea I'll see if I can get hold of a DVD cleaner disc. It's not mentioned in the owners manual and Philips haven't had the pfd to reply to me. I haven't seen this error message mentioned anywhere else so I'll give it a go.
Philips DVD recorder problem (cont) - Stargazer {P}
Godfrey,

I thought this model number seemed familiar, if you do a google search for dvdr880 and disk errors you will get a lot of hits. for example:
www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=211...1

It would seem that many many people are having problems with this model months after buying it. Refusing to read even prerecorded disks and refusing previously recorded disks even from the same machine.

sorry cant give you any better news.

regards

Ian L.
Philips DVD recorder problem (cont) - Godfrey H {P}
Thanks Ian hadn't seen that one despite looking. I think a trip back to the shop may have to be made tomorrow!
Ownership of Land/Property - Hugo {P}
Although one query was answered from the last thread, I would be very grateful for an answer to this.

If a person's name appears on the title for a piece of land (presumably unmortgaged) does this mean that that person is the legal owner?

Hugo

"Forever indebted to experience of others"
Ownership of Land/Property - billy25
hugo,
have a look @ this site,

www.claimfreeland.com

billy.
Thanks Billy,

Not too sure about paying someone £65 just for a few sheets of info.

I suspect this applies more to land that either is not registered or where the owner is untraceable.

In this case I believe the title owner is easily contactable and in any case, his step mother lives nearby.

Hugo
Ownership of Land/Property - jeds
Is it registered land Hugo? If so the Land Certificate will show the legal owner.
Jeds,

By the Land Certificate, do you mean the title etc?

If so then you've just answered my remaining question.

Problem is that the land is (we think) registered in son's name.

Father, who is also married for 2nd time died leaving intestate estate (no will) to son from first marriage and 2nd wife and all her dependencies.

As I understand this left a lot of bad feeling and now 2nd wife and her children are not speaking to his son.

2nd wife (widow) tells us that it is still in probate but land registry records (searched on internet) show that the son from the first marriage is the registered owner.

So, is he the Legal owner just because his name appears on the title.

Hugo
Ownership of Land/Property - hxj

In a word NO!

If you really want to buy instruct a good solicitor, and then wonder if you really want to get involved in a probate dispute?

If the answer is yes then you really desrve to get caught out!

Hugo, Title and Title Deeds etc. are generic terms meaning the documents which prove ownership of land.

The simplest form is the Land Certificate which is held electronically at the Land Registry. If the land is registered and unmortgaged the owner is the person named on the Certificate. The Certificate is the actual electronic record - all paper documents are just copies. A paper copy may be out of date so it is not conclusive proof. If the land is mortgaged the Certificate is replaced by a Charge Certificate which is then held by the mortgage company. The Land Registry is a public record so anybody can go and view it or request copies.

If the land is not registered and is unmortgaged, proving ownership can be very difficult. Documents get lost and can easily be out of date.

I am a surveyor and I often have to trace owners of land for the purposes of party wall matters. Please only take the above as a guide - These things can be complicated and legal advice is really essential.
Hi Jeds

Thanks for your advice.

The Land Certificate is I think the electronic item that we got via the Land Registry website. We paid £2.00 and got the result, which was exactly the same as the particulars we had a copy of with our house when we bought it, showing that the land had been separated in the late 80s and put in the name of the son.

I suspect I've taken this as far as I can here and now need, as you say, to consult my solicitor.

The approach I am considering is to contact the person who's name appears as the owner and enquire as to their plans for it. If he is agreeable to consider a sale and claims to be the legal owner then part of the conveyancing process is surely to establish as to whether anyone else has a valid claim or interest in it, and whether this person is entitled to sell it to guarantee my ownership at the end of the sale.

This is the problem I had when buying this house. The lady wanted to sell it to us but her ex husband's name appeared on the Title and Land Certificate etc. The sale could not take place without his signature on the contract. Since he was unwilling to cooperate with any of his ex wife's wishes, let alone this transaction, it took another 9 months and a court order to resolve this dispute. My financial adviser commented that this had been the longest running transaction that he had known, let alone been involved in. The sale, which also involved our house going to her as part payment, took over two years. A few weeks after the sale was completed - I lost my job!

Stress - bring it on babe!

If I am lucky I shall be able to do this transaction quickly and cost effectively, otherwise I may again be a bystander in a disute - which I am prepared for, especially as it would not actually hinder my current plans. I can take it!

Hugo

"In for another round with the sticky stuff!"
Sounds like a sensible approach Hugo. Good luck.
I have a question Volume 33 - Dynamic Dave
Hi,

A polite request, if I may.

When posting a NEW question, can you "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. the topmost one? This keeps each question in it's own separate segment (see IHAQ 32 to see what I mean - ( www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19345&...t ) and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Don't forget to also include your question within the subject header.

Obviously when replying to any existing questions, just reply to those as per normal.

DD, BR Moderator.
Elusive channel 5 - Clanger
I am trying to connect up a new Philips widescreen TV to an existing setup which includes a 2 year old Panasonic DVD and a 4 year old Hitachi video recorder. The video will tune itself to channel 5 and show it no problem. The new TV won't find channel 5 unless the video is on standby. The TV will tune itself to all channels including channel 5 if connected to the aerial only (missing out the video). Both DVD and video connect to the TV on their own SCART leads. It's not a life-threatening problem, but it's certainly puzzling. I've always been able to connect stuff up before OK.
Any ideas out there?

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Elusive channel 5 - Godfrey H {P}
The Channel 5 signal is not very strong if your TV is not the first to receive the Aerial signal, attenuation can weaken the signal such that auto-tune doesn't consider the signal strong enough to tune in. Try a manual tune of your TV set. Or alternatetively get yourself an aerial distribution amplifier.
Thanks Godfrey. I have tuned the TV manually by plugging the aerial straight into the TV. It will then show channel 5 until the video is switched on from standby. Then the picture gets snow, lines, flicker, the lot. Switch the video to standby and the picture returns to normal.

Hawkeye
Elusive channel 5 - hxj

IIRC Channel 5 is actually broadcast on a channel that was similar to that used by a large number of video players. Consequently just before Channel 5 started someone came around to check ours.

Maybe this is the problem, if so you could try contacting Channel 5
Elusive channel 5 - Mark (RLBS)
I suspect that you have the video station too close to the channel 5 station.

The receiver on your television sees the video at around channel 31. If this is too close to something else it can interfere. This will only happen when you are using the coax cable fromt he vcr tot he television. It will not happen if you are using either the phon or scart leads.

If you think this is likely to be the case for you, then you should find a small button or screw head which can be turned to move your VCR to another channel. You will then, of course, need to retune your television to it.

Either that, or change cables so that it is coax to the VCR and then phono or scart to the television.
Elusive channel 5 - Dynamic Dave
As Mark has said, more than likely C5 and the video broadcasting frequencies are too close. However on a lot of modern video recorders the frequency channel change is now within the menu settings and needs to be changed there, rather than by a screw around the back of the recorder.
Elusive channel 5 - Civic8
By default video`s are set up at factory to channel 36
channel 5 on tv is broadcasting on channel 37
your video needs to have the channel changed to around 40-45
that will sort it out.
Same problem can occur with video games still switched on while
trying to watch tv
cause/games machine transmits on the same channel 36

to change look at previous posts
Thanks for your knowledgeable replies. I can't find any way of changing the video channel either by menu or switch so I'm leaving it alone.

Hawkeye
Elusive channel 5 - Dynamic Dave
Hawkeye, look around the back of the VCR, and near to where the aerial coax connects you'll probably find a small screw sunken slightly below the surface. Using a watchmakers screwdriver, you can adjust the frequency that the VCR broadcasts on.
Surround Sound. - bugged {P}
I have a question about my tv/dvd player also,
I have a sony TV and sony DVD player that is also a surround sound system with all the speaker etc, when we have a dvd on it plays in surround sound but i cant get it to play in surround sound when just the normal tv channels are on, is there a way I can do this so I can listen to my TV in surround sound?????

Surround Sound. - Civic8
Only if a film or program is being transmited in surround.
Surround Sound. - No Do$h
You need to feed an audio output from your TV into the DVD and turn the TV volume down to zero (not mute or you will get an annoying little red speaker icon on your screen).

I assum you have one of the DAVS range DVD players - I think there are audio inputs on the rear. Failing that, I assume the scart lead would do the same job?

You may also need to manually set the DVD player to \"Surround\" otherwise it will default to Nicam Sterio if left on AFD (Auto Format Detect)
Surround Sound. - Cardew(USA)
On a slightly different tack. I find that I can set the surround sound for myself eg an acceptable output from all speakers for my hearing and my seating position in the room. However other members of my family complain that the speaker nearest them is too loud.
Surround Sound. - cockle {P}
I'm afraid, Cardew, that is one of the wonders of surround sound.
If you think of it as a five speaker stereo system then you will realise that all five speakers can only deliver the optimum experience to a small area which can be moved around by altering the speaker settings in concert with each other. Similar in that if you stand to the right of the centre line of a stereo system when both speakers are set to the same level then the right speaker will sound louder, to rectify that you would need to increase the left hand output by means of the balance control, same applies to surround sound but you have five speakers to play with.
Have fun!
More about central heating! - Soupytwist
Another central heating query. I got home last night to hot radiators but cold water coming out of the hot water taps. Felt tank - stone cold. It has been suggested to me that the thermostat on the tank might be defective. I don't seem to have an electrical thermostat attached to the tank but what there is is a pipe going into the boiler about half way up, connected to which is a thermostatic valve of the type used to control the temperature of radiators. Would this do the same job as a thermostat attached to the tank, which controls the hot water supply to the tank and therefore the taps ?

It was set on 6 so I turned it up to max and as a result had water that was a bit less than tepid coming out of the hot taps this morning.

This would suggest to me that it's this thermostat which is to blame - is it an easy job to replace and is this set up a good idea in the first place. I plan to replace the boiler and other elements of the heating system in a couple of years when we build an extension.

And we don't have an immersion heater.

Any help appreciated.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
More about central heating! - Stargazer {P}
Matt,

I am assuming that you have a standard indirect hot water cylinder with 4 pipes entering as described below:
1. hot water to taps out from the top (or near the top)
2. cold water in near the base (from mains or a cold water tank in the loft)
3. hot water from boiler entering at side about half way up
4. return warm water to boiler usually near base.

The tank thermostat usually electrically controls a valve (2 port or 3 port) which opens or closes the flow from the boiler to pipe number 3.

A thermostatic valve as you describe seems very unusual for the boiler primary loop. Are you sure that you do not have an extra (5th) outlet pipe with a thermostatic control for a shower?

Replacing such a valve in such a location will require a full system to be drained unless it has isolating valves either side?

Can you confirm the details of the pipes and control system?

regards

Ian L.
Ian,

Thanks for replying.

Not at home at the moment so will describe from memory and please bear in mind that I haven't actually taken the insulation off the tank, merely felt around with hands. It's a bit difficult because the shelves in the cupboard are very close to the tank.
1. hot water to taps out from the top (or near the top) - there's a pipe that goes straight out of the top, where it goes after that I don't know.
2. cold water in near the base (from mains or a cold water tank in the loft) - there is a thin pipe that goes in at the bottom, what's odd is that it has a 90 degree bend in it, up to the bend the pipe is hot, after the bend it's cold.
3. hot water from boiler entering at side about half way up - there is a pipe going in halfway up, as described previously with the thermostat.
4. return warm water to boiler usually near base. - don't know.

I do have a shower which is driven by a seperate large pump, I'm not sure which pipe from the boiler supplies it. My earlier comment about the water being a bit less than tepid this morning was based on the shower, so maybe the thermostat in question does control that.

"The tank thermostat usually electrically controls a valve (2 port or 3 port) which opens or closes the flow from the boiler to pipe number 3." I think that I need to try and identify this bit, trouble is I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

If all of this rather vague information gets us nowhere then I can re-post when I get home.

Getting hold of a plumber at the moment is a job in itself.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Matt,

More questions I am afraid.

Is the boiler and CH/HW a sealed and pressurized system or an open (vented) system with expansion and cold water tank in the roof?

Is the hot water cylinder hot to the touch or stone cold?

Also is the pump supplying the shower just for the hot water or both the hot and cold water. If the former then this might be the problem, to eliminate this do you have hot water from any other taps?

regards

Ian L.

Ian

Is the boiler and CH/HW a sealed and pressurized system or an open (vented) system with expansion and cold water tank in the roof? - it's the latter.

Is the hot water cylinder hot to the touch or stone cold? - stone cold.

Also is the pump supplying the shower just for the hot water or both the hot and cold water. If the former then this might be the problem, to eliminate this do you have hot water from any other taps? - no hot water to taps elsewhere in house (kitchen, bathroom basin etc.)

Hope this helps.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Matt,

Last questions!

1. Is the CH working ok? (boiler firing, pump running and radiators getting hot)

2. Do you know what type of circulation of the primary circuit is being used. Older installations can use gravity convection for the HW and pump only cutting in for the CH.....no need for a control valve. Newer installations can use the pump all the time and use a control valve to switch the hot primary circuit water between the hot water cylinder and the boiler.

There is no useful cutoff date of installation to determine which type....old installations can have a newish boiler added and the control system modified.

If you have a gravity convection hw circuit then an airlock or a silted up pipe can cause problems, not much else to go wrong with this side of things. BUT a gravity convection hw system should never have a valve in it as this is the safety heat dump for the boiler. (unless you also have a radiator that always gets warm even when only hw is selected...this is also a safety heat dump).

If you have a fully pumped system then it is likely that it is a control valve problem, can you identify weither a 3port or 2 port valve to switch between hw and ch?

hth

Ian L.
Answers as follows :

Yes, central heating is working in all the ways you have suggested.

I don't know what type of circulation is in operation. However, I would suggest that it is gravity convection because it is an old system (old boiler), airlocks/bubbles are likely to be present (pipes are v. noisy & you can hear the water flowing in the pipes), however bleeding radiators has no effect on this. I don't know what happens when only HW is selected because we haven't lived there long enough to know. However, the radiator in the hall is the only one without a thermostat and remains hot when ambient temp. is high enough for other radiators to be off. According to previous owners the only way to run HW independently is to close one of the valves on one of the pipes in the airing cupboard.

In order to answer the rest I'll have to look at it when I get home.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
More about central heating! - SpamCan61 {P}
Just a couple of points, me not being a plumber

The wickes good ideas leaflet no. 50 gives a good overview of a central heating system; available online from their site if you don't mind registering :-(

I don't know when the 2/3 way valve to control the flow of hot water became common; but the system in my house (20 years old) doesn't have one, there is just a non-return valve to control flow to the rads.
SpamCan61,

Sounds like you had gravity feed HW and a pumped CH system, the non-return valve is there to stop convection circulation into the radiator circuit.

Ian L.
More about central heating! - Hugo {P}
Matt

My thoughts

If your central heating is working OK, before condeming your zone valve (if you have one) try bleeding your HW primary circuit. You may have some air trapped in it.

The Primary circuit consists of the flow and return from your boiler to your HW cylinder. Inside your HW Cylinder is a coil made up of copper pipe, which when connected completes the primary circui. This basically works in exactly the same way as a radiator, only it heats the hot water in your tank, not in any room.

You should find a couple of bleed valves on the primary circuit near where the flow and return enter the hot water tank. You will need either a screwdriver, a small adjustable spanner or a key to undo them. You may be surprised at how little air is in the system, but expell this and you should be OK.

In case you have trouble locating the primary circuit. Look for a 22mm pipe that goes onto your cylinder part of the way up. On one side you will see a drain cock coming out of the bottom of the cylinder, with perhaps a 22mm cold water feed into into it (depending on the type of tank). That is NOT part of your primary circuit and should be left alone. Your primary circuit will almost certainly be the other side of this (180° opposite).

Hope this helps

Hugo
Hugo

Thanks for that, v. interesting.

What I do have is a 22mm pipe that goes into the tank low down which has a valve attached similar to the valve one finds on radiators (not a thermostat one, the sort that you turn to isolate the water supply from that radiator, with typically a plastic cover on it to save you getting a tool to open/close it). I fiddled about with that last night and upon opening it water did start to drip out much like when bleeding a radiator, so I closed it again.

I think I need to get a good idea of exactly what pipework I have going into the tank so I can make the most of these suggestions.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
More about central heating! - Hugo {P}
If it's right at the bottom of your HW cylinder, I suspect it will be a drain cock to enable you to drain off the cylinder, should you need to remove it for any reason. If I am right you should not need to touch that one.

Having just looked again at one of my cylinders (I'm currently in the process of connecting a primary circuit via a Zone Valve) I stand a little corrected on what I told you above.

On one side of the cylinder there will be two 22mm pipes, one near or at the bottom, the other will be about 1/2 way up. These are the connections to the coil (forming part of the primary circuit) that I spoke about earlier.

These at some point should each be T connected to probably 15mm pipes (but could be 22mm) which will go up and have a bleed valve locted at or around their highest points.

It is these you need to open and bleed.

Hope this helps

Hugo
More about central heating! - SpamCan61 {P}
Yes I think you're right about my system ( non return valve is knackered, so I have to turn the upstairs rads. off manually in the summer :-( ). I was just trying to indictae to the original poster that they might not have a motorised valve anyway.
More about central heating! - henry k
Lots of ideas above but:
Do have a good look around your system and report back.
Then you will get good advice from the forum.

If you have a "gravity feed" system then you would normally have NO motorised valves in a normal sized house, just a pump. The pump is used just for CH. HW is by gravity. Hot water rises from boiler to the cylinder heat exchanger and cold drops back to boiler.
Can you normally select CH WITHOUT the HW operating?
If you try to operate CH does the controller also operate the HW switch?
The size of pipes going to the cylinder is not always indicative of the system type.

Have you altered anything or noticed any other symptoms prior to today?

We sorted out No Dosh by working our way through what he had and then systematically going through component at a time.
He had more than one problem and a lot of effort to sort it.
Even if you cannot sort it yourself, knowing the problem in detail, you will be in a stronger situation with the plumber / heating engineer. We await your replies.
Description of tank and pipes - Soupytwist

Description of the hot water tank and associated pipework (probably rather non standard).

There are four pipes exitting the tank, as follows.

Top of tank - one exit point leads in to a 90 degree junction, one pipe goes striaght up, the other eventually leads to the inlet for the shower pump.

Two thirds down, right hand side - 15mm pipe (well it's thinner than the other ones I take to be 22mm) leading to a radiator type thermostat valve. This has a rather antiquated (or so it seems to me) method of measuring the temp. of the cylinder. Attached to the valve by thin wire (like fuse wire) is a piece of copper tube which sits in what looks like an aluminium holder. This arrangement is held fast against the tank wall by some net curtain wire looped round the cylinder. This arrangement must be the prime candidate for failure I would think. Anyway after the thermostat valve the pipe continues to a junction with another pump which probably supplies the radiators - there is a pump above the junction and below it is a gate valve which we have been told by the previous owners of the house you have to close in order to turn off heating and run hot water independently. The radiator supply pipe also links to the radiator isolation type valve described in previous post, this valve leaks when turned to negative (closed?). The pipe emerging from the tank here is hot all the way to where it joins the tank, right from the junction to the radiator supply pipe, which I find odd, surely if the valve is not letting hot water into the tank it should be cold past the valve to the tank ?

Bottom left - 22mm cold pipe goes up towards loft - gate valve.

Bottom right - 15mm pipe - leads downstairs, there is a T junction which leads up to the radiator isolation valve described above at the top of about a 30cm run of pipe.

Hope this helps someone, I have a plumber booked for Thursday - but it would be good to be forearmed.

Thanks

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Description of tank and pipes - IanT
I assume your thermostatic valve has no electrical connections.

I had a similar installation on an old gravity fed system - it's a cheap alternative to a proper electrically driven motorised valve. The thermostatic valve started to stick in the closed position (so no hot water from taps). Fully opening then fully closing the valve would fix things for a few weeks, and then it would stick again.

It was replaced by a proper cylinder thermostat with a proper motorised valve (on-off operation only). Physically changing the thermostat and valve was no great problem, but it was tricky working out the correct electrical connections.

Strictly speaking, the system doesn't really need a valve at all, but if it is left in the fully open position the temperature of the water in the tank becomes too hot to safely put your hands under the hot tap.

Ian
No electrical connections at all. I might go with the same again if it'll last a couple of years as the whole heating system will be comprehensively re-done when we have an extension built which we plan to do in a couple of years.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Description of tank and pipes - IanT
I'll add that my original "thermostatic" system didn't use any type of cylinder thermostat. It worked only on the temperature of the water flowing through the pipe. You just adjusted the knob until the resulting hot water seemed OK.

Ian
Description of tank and pipes - henry k
Top of tank - one exit point leads in to a
90 degree junction, one pipe goes striaght up, the other eventually leads to the inlet for the shower pump.

This is hot water out to taps and a vent pipe above your cold water tank in the loft. The vent pipe is an inverted U maybe 12 inches above the top of the tank
Bottom left - 22mm cold pipe goes up towards loft -
gate valve.

This is the cold water feed to the cylinder, for the hot water, from the big cold water tank in the loft
This gate valve shuts off the supply to all hot water taps / shower. Do make sure it functions. Shut it down and open it up every couple of months to stop it furring up. Do not have it fully open but shut it down about half a turn. This allows you to turn it in both directions if it does fur up.
Bottom right - 15mm pipe - leads downstairs, there is a
T junction which leads up to the radiator isolation valve described above at the top of about a 30cm run of pipe.

>>
This is the cold return from the cylinder heat exchanger back to the boiler
Hope this helps someone, I have a plumber booked for Thursday
- but it would be good to be forearmed.

It certainly seems like an old fairly crude system.
Sorry I cannot advise you on a fix. It seems likely you have identified the problem as the cylinder stat.
It is normal to strap them on with what looks like net curtain plastic covered wire.
I hope spares are still available. If they are not, be prepared that your man may suggest putting in a couple of powered valves, an air/ room stat, a cylinder stat and a controller.
All these would stay when you update in the future but of course it would be a cost now. If this happens just ensure the valves are easily accessible so they can be changed and you avoid the No Dosh saga.
Good luck.
Description of tank and pipes - Hugo {P}
Description of the hot water tank and associated pipework (probably rather
non standard).

OK, I'll try and identify them for you Matt

There are four pipes exitting the tank, as follows.
Top of tank - one exit point leads in to a
90 degree junction, one pipe goes striaght up, the other eventually
leads to the inlet for the shower pump.

That sounds like it is your hot water supply, which will feed your power shower and your hot taps. The pipe that goes straight up will most likely go through your ceiling and act as an overflow into your header tank in the loft. This is essential incase the water gets too hot and literally boils over. If you don't have one of these there is a risk of your cylinder exploding.
Two thirds down, right hand side - 15mm pipe (well it's
thinner than the other ones I take to be 22mm) leading
to a radiator type thermostat valve.

This sounds like part of your primary circuit into your HW cylinder. Connected to this and the other pipe on the same side may be a bleed valve or screw. These are what you use to bleed the primary circuit as I explained earlier.
This has a rather
antiquated (or so it seems to me) method of measuring the
temp. of the cylinder. Attached to the valve by thin
wire (like fuse wire) is a piece of copper tube which
sits in what looks like an aluminium holder. This arrangement
is held fast against the tank wall by some net curtain
wire looped round the cylinder. This arrangement must be the
prime candidate for failure I would think.

You have identified a closed loop feed back temp controller. The hotter the tank gets, the more the valve restricts the flow of water through the primary. This sounds like a thermocouple device, which I don't like in exposed permanent applications, although I have used these successfully several times in engineering experimentation.
Anyway after the
thermostat valve the pipe continues to a junction with another pump
which probably supplies the radiators - there is a pump above
the junction and below it is a gate valve which we
have been told by the previous owners of the house you
have to close in order to turn off heating and run
hot water independently.

This sounds like a low tech substitution for an electrically operated zone valve. This obviously stops flow to the rads so that the boiler is just supplying the cylinder.

The radiator supply pipe also links to
the radiator isolation type valve described in previous post, this valve
leaks when turned to negative (closed?).

The pipe emerging from
the tank here is hot all the way to where it
joins the tank, right from the junction to the radiator supply
pipe, which I find odd, surely if the valve is not
letting hot water into the tank it should be cold past
the valve to the tank ?

Sometimes a pipe can seem hot for a few feet. Copper conducts heat very easily and can "carry" heat beyond where water is stopped flowing. If the length of pipe we're talking about here is much longer or the heat is consistant (ie does not get colder as you feel towards the cylinder) then I would say that you have hot water in that pipe up to the cylinder.
Bottom left - 22mm cold pipe goes up towards loft -
gate valve.

This is your feed from your header tank in the loft.
Bottom right - 15mm pipe - leads downstairs, there is a
T junction which leads up to the radiator isolation valve described
above at the top of about a 30cm run of pipe.

This is your return back to the boiler (other half of the primary circuit). This should also have a bleed screw near the cylinder. If it has, try bleeding it.
Hope this helps someone, I have a plumber booked for Thursday
- but it would be good to be forearmed.

Others may wish to comment, but before spending money on a plumber I would try two things.

1 - bleed the primary circuit if you can, and see if their is any difference. Air in the system is the most common cause of many CH and HW problems.

2 - if that doesn't work or is not possible, see if you can remove the automatic dial from the radiator type valve that you describe above. You should be able to do this by unscewing it from the valve itself without actually removing the valve itself. Underneath you will find a small pin. The temperature sentitive dial pushes this in to varying degrees depending on the temperature. If you remove this dial, the pin will come up, effectively opening the valve to the full extent.

This way, if you have a blockage or an air lock, you may stand more chance of shifting it yourself.

Thanks
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.

Let us know how you get on

Hugo
Description of tank and pipes - Stargazer {P}
Matt,

Sorry, missed the rest of the feedback yesterday evening....only have computer access at work.

Agree with the identification the others have given, looks like a gravity primary circuit for the HW and pump for the CH....however it is rather unusual in some respects.

For gravity HW it is normal to run 28mm pipes for the HW alone...so it is not affected by the CH pump. In your case 15mm pipe is really too small for gravity circulation and will be rather inefficient and much more susceptable to airlocks and silting up.

The thermostatic valve sounds like a standard radiator valve with external temperature sensor...not really designed for this mode of operation and its small aperture is not really suitable for gravity fed HW.

So if it is gravity fed HW then try removing any air from the system or removing the valve altogether.

Having said all that a number of things worry me....putting a valve in a gravity circulation is a bit naughty....reduces efficiency and might consistute a safety issue if you dont have a radiator on the HW side that always gets hot.

Can you confirm the location of the pump?

is it
to middle of HW cyl
via thermostatic valve
________________________ to radiators via shutoff valve
|
|
P
|
|
from boiler

or is it

to middle of HW cyl
via thermostatic valve
____________________P______ to radiators via valve
|
|
|
|
from boiler

Case 2 would be gravity fed but extremely unusual and very inefficient (HW might only work when CH pump not on)

Case 1 would be fully pumped which might work but would indicate
either an airlock, silted up pipe or non-functioning thermostatic valve.

cheers

Ian L.
Matt,
Just one more thought, the standard radiator thermostatic valves (with or without the external temperature probe) only last between 5 and 10 years before they require replacement as the actuating pin gets stuck due to lack of lubrication and acretion of limescale. Either Hugo or Henry said to remove the dial handle and you should see a shiny pin which is sprung loaded to force it out. Try pushing this pin in gently, if it is stuck in or out it will stop the valve working (stuck in will give you they failed hw symptoms). You can use pliers and some wd40 to try and release the pin and free it up.

regards

Ian L.
Ian

Just got out of a meeting and the web access here is playing up a bit as well.

Location of pump - please see drawing below, you can judge which of your descriptions and little ASCII drawings best fits (if any, I\'m beginning to think we have some sort of bizarre mutation of a central heating system).

I
I
pump
I
thermostat I
cylinder ---rad. valve -----------------I
I
I
rad.valve-------I
I I
I I
I I
I I
I I
I I
I gate valve used
I to isolate rads.
I I
I I
I
I
I
from boiler
I
I
I

To remove the handle of the thermostatic valve, do I unscrew the whole vertical housing which has the dial at the top ? I started to do this last night to have a look inside but was worried about the possibility of getting scalding hot water everywhere, so stopped. There is a little screw at the bottom of the vertical housing, would removing this enable me to take the vertical housing off without water going everywhere ? I could then fiddle about with the pin as described.

Thanks for all your help.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
That's come out terribly - not like I did it in Notepad at all !

Looks like everyting is left justified and tabs don't work!

From left it should read tank, then horizontal pipe to thermostatic rad valve, more horizontal pipe to junction with pipe going vertically from boiler presumably to rads, pump above this junction, gate valve to isolate rads below junction.

Hope this helps.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Description of tank and pipes - Dynamic Dave
Matt, I have sorted it (I hope)

For info, if you want to include extra spacing or tabs, just as you would create itallics or bold text with the "> & <" marks surrounding them and also remembering to add "/" to turn it off, instead use the word "pre" (without the quotes).

DD.
Thanks for that Dave, looks right now.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Matt,

Not sure I understand your ascii art...the valve to cut off the radiators seems to be before the split to radiators and hw which would prevent both from working. I assume flow is from bottom of your figure to top?

As you mention I think you have a heavily adapted non-standard system which happened to work after a fashion but has now failed. It is probably not worth trying to debug the whole system here simple restore some hot water.

Even with a poorly designed/implemented system...it used to work so it should be possible to get it working again, the most likely culprit is the thermostatic valve. These normally have
a plastic handle which can be removed from the metal valve body

See www.mysoncontrols.co.uk/pages/trv.html for an example. Further down this page are details of capillary sensor versions (this is what I think you have). Does this look at all familar?

Ian L.
I assumed that flow was from bottom to top as well, but as you say if you close gate valve it would cut off both HW & CH. Perhaps flow is from top to bottom.

The web address you've given doesn't work but I have found this, it looks like what I have (.pdf file from Google's cache of the Myson controls site) although the sensor in mine is far more basic and may be a cobbled together solution from a radiator valve and a bit of old copper rather than a specifically designed sensor which this one looks to have.
www.mysoncontrols.co.uk/pdfs/TCVDOC_1.PDF

I might try and dismantle it tonight. Would it be possible to do that without draining system / risking getting hot water everywhere ?

Thanks
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Description of tank and pipes - topaktas
Inspired by the wealth of knowledge here, a question:

Our plumber has quoted for the replacement of the (3) tanks in our loft which he says are gently rusting away. His price, to replace them with plastic ones is around £700 including VAT. I have asked for a breakdown of the figure, but what do BRs think about the price?

By the way, access is difficult, and removal of the old tanks impossible, so they will be left up there.
Description of tank and pipes - Mark (RLBS)
I'm a little surprised that removal is impossible unless they've been their since before the roof. I'd get them cut up and removed, if I was you. I am in the process of having mine removed this way.

I'd also check why you have three - seems a little strange. Perhaps one is a header tank, and another cold water, but I wonder what the third is.

On the other hand he's talking a little of £200 plus vat per tank, and whilst that is more than I'm paying for mine, its not greatly so. Although mine are pretty big.

Plastic is definitely better than metal.
Agree, 3 tanks is a little odd, cutting them up is the usual method of removal since the originals are usually put there during construction or major renovation.

If access is really limited for installation of the new plastic tanks then two smaller ones can be doubled up to make the capacity of a single large cold water tank or you can get long thin tanks specially for this reason.

From screwfix the 50 and 4 gallon tank kits are 57.99 and 11.49
including VAT.

www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101561&ts...6

So how long is he estimating to do the job...a day is comfortable. So the plumbers time is expensive but not completely outrageous. But I would expect him/her to remove the old tank as well.

on the other hand if considering this myself I would convert to a sealed system and gain the space in the loft and the benefits of a pressurized HW system....but that is another story.
Description of tank and pipes - wemyss
Three galvanised tanks in your roof space?? Must have been there a long time. One must be your CH make up tank and as already stated the other two are presumably linked to enable them to be smaller and taken up through the trap door.
If the galv tanks have chalky patches on the outside dont touch these as they will be paper thin.
I wouldnt like the job of cutting them up in situ as an a disk cutter would have to be used as no one would want to use oxy/acetylene cutting galvanised in a roof space and I would find another way of removing them if required.
If you do replace the two linked ones ensure the plumber pipes them correctly. Cold feed in to one tank and all outlets at the other end of the second tank to ensure movement of water across the tanks and avoid stagnation.
£700.00 seems expensive to me and I like Ians idea of a sealed pressurised system.
More about central heating - success - Soupytwist
Fixed it last night by dismantling thermostatic radiator valve, pin was indeed stuck due to limescale. Chipped the limescale away and now it works fine (so far). As this was at about 10.30 last night I didn't cancel the plumber who came this morning and we had a general discussion about the system. He didn't seem that bothered about the way it was set up, not that he had a particularly close look, I think he was of the if it ain't broke don't fix it school of thought.
It's given me some food for thought for what to do when we replace the boiler when we bulid our extension. I'm not really sure who to turn to for reliable advice (other than the backroom!) but that's for another day.

Thanks for all your suggestions & help, much appreciated.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
More about central heating - success - Hugo {P}
Hi Matt

Glad you fixed it.

I suspect you'll be looking at a complete system overhaul when you have your extension built.

You don't live anywhere near the South West do you? I could recommend a good plumber.

If your house is going to be roughly 1200 square feet or less with the estension, you may like to think about a combi boiler, which would mean that your hot water is heated on demand when you need it. Most of your original plumbing could be left in situ, unless it needed changing anyway.

The drawbacks are:-

Hot water to upstairs can be a bit slow, takes longer to fill a bath.
Central heating pressure is typically 1.5 bar. 3 to 4 times that of a gravety fed pumped system, which can cause some weaker joints to fail.
Large houses are not suitable for this typr of system as getting hot water around it can be slow

Benefits

Lose that cylinder and all its bits from the cupboard
If your boiler is in or near the kitchen you'll get your hot water very quickly, as opposed to waiting for it to come down from a HW cylinder.

Our current abode (2,500 square feet) has a traditional pumped gravety fed system, and I have just fitted a 2nd HW cylinder to serve our new ensuite. The reason is that I want to be able to run two baths at the same time.

If you want to do some serous research, go to Wickes and B&Q superstore and read up on leaflets or even the B&Q diy manual. Also ask the staff in B&Q, superstore, they have qualified plumbers to advise.

Oh, and if you do end up doing it yourself:-

1 Get a CORGI registered plumber to install the boiler for you, and
2 Be vary wary of anything that promises to freeze pipes. My kit didn't work, which is why I am currently ringing out my clothes!

Hugo
TV looking a bit sick... - PoloGirl
Hello all...

Just turned our TV on and it's all green around the edges! Flatmate has a habit of leaving it on standby overnight so I think it's probably that but... leave it on for the green to wear off, or turn it off to cool down?

TV looking a bit sick... - Mark (RLBS)
Is your apartment cold/damp ?

If so, then leave it on. If not, then leave it off.

Although the chances are it won\'t matter either way since standby shouldn\'t affect it - I\'ve just been on holiday and left the TV on standby for more than a month. In reality, other then when we\'re actually watching it, its probably been on standby for the greater part of the last two years.

Your TV is probably stuffed and it\'ll depend on its value as to whether or not its worth getting repaired.
TV looking a bit sick... - PoloGirl
Oh dear! It's 3 weeks old! (It belongs to the flatmate who has a proper job and can afford big flash TVs).

Hmmm...maybe I'll just keep quiet and let him discover the green-ness for himself!

TV looking a bit sick... - Mark (RLBS)
3 weeks old ? If it has a problem I suggest it goes straight back to whoever supplied it.
TV looking a bit sick... - Jane
There aren't any HiFi speakers near it are there? The magnets in them can interfere with TV screens

Fill what's empty, empty what's full and scratch where it itches!
Central Heating - No Water!! - Adam {P}
Hi all,
This will no doubt turn out to be a lengthy thread but important - you\'re help would be most appreciated.

Due to a broken tap in the kitchen, the main water supply had to be turned off. This turned up a leaky pipe under the sink which a plumber was required to come and fix as neither my Dad nor myself could fix it. Problem. That now works and the new taps are fitted. However, there is a tank in my sister\'s room which presumably holds the hot water. Now this tank has loads of shiny red valves which, in the heat of the moment were turned indiscriminantly. Problem. Now, the mains is back on and cold water works fine. Hot water has the problem. The heating was put on before and we got a little water out of the taps which was hot. However, the water soon fades out and spits. All the valves next to the hot water tank have been set to open but still nothing. My first thought was that the tank hadn\'t filled up but it\'s been hours now. Obviously some water is getting in as after 20 minutes or so, a little water can be got out of the hot tap but something is quite clearly wrong. ANy suggestions??? This really is quite urgent so any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Adam.
--
\"Give Way\"? Wait....I know this one...give me a minute
Central Heating - No Water!! - henry k
Adski
Normal common situation is:
Mains water to stop cock possibly under the sink.
Kitchen tap has mains drinking water.
Mains also goes to a large 50 gallon actual contents in the loft.
This should be about 3/4 full.
This would normally supply the cold to bath.
Is there a good flow of COLD to bath?
22mm or 3/4 inch pipe from tank to bottom of hot water cylinder. There is normally has a gate valve in the pipe
A gate valve has a round handle. This should be open i.e. anti clockwise.
Check this out as much as possible.
Are you sure all valves are open?
You may have an airlock in the pipe.
Did the plumber go else where and find some valves?
Did he go in the loft?
Are there any gate valves in the loft?
Do get back and I will see if there are any other possibilities

g
Thanks Henry for your reply,
There is a good supply of cold everywhere in the house and all of the valves are open. It was in fact my Dad who turned all the valves but he only turned the ones that are in my sisters room but the hot water tank. I can\'t get into the attic right now but I will first thing tomorrow to check. There could well be an airlock but how would this have been caused?

Many thanks

Adam
--
\"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will\"
I can\'t get into
the attic right now but I will first thing tomorrow to
check. There could well be an airlock but how would this
have been caused?

I am assuming that because you have good flow of cold to the bath, then the loft tank is filling OK.
If all valves are open and none went in the loft then it is looking more like an airlock. So no need for a loft walk.
All pipe runs should ideally gently slope upwards towards the tank. If this is not the case, then, when the system is drained down air can get stuck in the pipes or sucked in from the vent pipe in the loft.
Think of it a bit like a hump bridge. The air gets trapped in the hump and amazingly it will stop the water flow.
The standard recommended way to try and solve it, IN THEORY is as follows:
If you have separate kitchen taps, connect a hose from hot to cold, ensuring the hose is properly clamped. Turn on hot tap and the then turn on cold tap.
The high pressure cold should blow through and force the airlock up to the loft.
If you have a mixer tap then you need to have something like a short piece of hose clamped on the tap with the other end of the hose doubled over and clamped. This shoul allow a flow from cold tap to hot tap.
It is not easy so be prepared for the hose to blow off the taps.
Plumber may have other means of achieving it.
Central Heating - No Water!! - wemyss
Adski, I assume the tank you are referring to is the domestic hot water cylinder and the valves are simply isolating valves.
If this is the case ensure all the valves are open. And if the largest tank in your roof space (or above the cylinder)is full of water the most likely reason for no hot water at your tap is a simple air lock. This often happens...
The normal trade practise to clear this is to use the pressure from the cold water tap to clear it.
A short piece of hosepipe connected between the tap nozzles. Not always easy without some method of securing them on but you can do it. With the hot tap open open the cold tap and force mains water to back up the pipe to the top outlet of the cylinder.
This will always shift it.
Remember to use the taps in your sink as many (but not all)bathroom cold taps are fed from the roof tank and is at the same pressure as your hot water so would have no effect.
On older taps a loose jumper in the cold tap would prevent this method but try it first.
You may get wet but no problem....
Sorry I should have said \"a loose jumper in the hot tap\"
To explain this years ago (before the modern ceramic disks) taps used to be manufactured with a fixed jumper which holds the washer on hot taps and loose ones on the cold.
The reasons for this was to prevent drain back into the mains when they were being worked on by water boards and also for contamination. Silencer pipes on brass ball valves were also banned for the same reason. Sometimes the taps would be fitted the wrong way round and the Plumber would perhaps simply change the colour of the disk on the top.
A loose jumper would then act as a NRV and not allow water to pass through in the reverse direction.
Unlikely to find this but prewarned.....

Sorry I should have said \"a loose jumper in the hot
tap\"

Alvin. Thanks for this info. Glad I did not come across that situation.
I am a slow typer and I got logged off too.
Glad our basic instructions agree and we do not soak Adski.
This will always shift it.
Remember to use the taps in your sink as many (but
not all)bathroom cold taps are fed from the roof tank and
is at the same pressure as your hot water so would
have no effect.

Forgot to add that, provided the hose stays on and you do not get soaked by it popping off, the airlock should be disappear within a few seconds. Then switch off the cold kitchen tap and try opening a hot bathroom tap. It may splutter a bit but then run OK.
Keep all Hot taps, other than the kitchen, closed when you turn on the kitchen cold and hot taps.
While you are trying to clear the problem, you are of course bypassing the normal float valve in the loft tank. If you leave the hose connected and running for minutes you will eventually overfill the tank and water will then come out, hopefully from the overflow pipe usually just under the gutter outside.
Henry, no word from Adski so he could be swimming...
I still have a little made up piece for connecting across taps.
You recall years ago there used to be (and may still) a rubber shower rose with two pipes which attached to the bath taps for ladies to shampoo their hair. This with a little adaption make an ideal 12" piece of hose with two tap connections.
My reccomended method is or was to get the apprentice (or wife) to hold these tightly on to the taps.
Then comes the technical bit.. you stand behind them and reaching over each shoulder turn on the taps.
Keep your face hidden behind their head to protect yourself and ignore squeals of complaint... Be ready with your defense of why they got wet which is "you should have held them tighter"
Job done and nearly everyone happy..
Alvin and Henry,
Many thanks for your replies - due to a near death experience in the loft, a plumber has been called and will arrive tomorrow. Many thanks and I\'ll let you know how it goes.
--
\"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will\"
MP3 player troubles - SteveH42
I bought my sister an MP3 player from Dabs.com for Christmas. The unit has never worked properly, the sound cutting out at higher volumes. Now it refuses to turn on completely.

I initially contacted Dabs just after Christmas to ask for advice on the problem and got a reply asking for manufacturer details, but despite several prompts I've not had any further replies. I tried the manufacturer but they (rightly, AFAIK) told me to deal with the retailer on this. Looking at the Dabs website, it appears they will not accept phonecalls, all correspondence has to be by email which leaves it open to being ignored. Also, after 28 days, you have to pay carriage on all returns and cannot claim it back from them. Further, they won't replace only repair which can take 4-6 weeks although they advise you to go direct to the manufacturer to speed this up.

Am I right in thinking that this is all a bit dodgy? Surely they can't insist on email communication only, nor can they charge you inflated carriage costs (£8) for returns on faulty goods? Any advice before I get trading standards involved on this?
MP3 player troubles - Altea Ego
Steve

You neeed to contact dabs to get an RMA number. Dont worry about it being ignored, Dabs are a good company. If your item is defective they will refund your postage costs.

"Surely they can't insist on email communication only"

Yes they can. Thats the way an "e" business works.
MP3 player troubles - Phil I
I have not found any problems with returns to Dabs Co. in the past altho I understand that they have a problem with new systems which have reflected on their response to queries in the last few weeks.

Having said that I find their prices very often out of line with
people like Comet Direct. Compare their prices for Epson Printer
C44UX (quite a good spec cheapie) particularly if you consider Comet do free deliveries on some items.

No connection with Comet needless to add. Just satisfied customer.

Happy Motoring Phil I
MP3 player troubles - SteveH42
You neeed to contact dabs to get an RMA number. Dont
worry about it being ignored, Dabs are a good company. If
your item is defective they will refund your postage costs.

Well, it seems defective after this latest problem but as the initial problem seems to be the sort of thing that doesn't actually stop it working, they could get awkward...
"Surely they can't insist on email communication only"
Yes they can. Thats the way an "e" business works.

Yes, but they have to have a 'last resort' method of contact. Or if worst comes to worst, a way to serve notice of legal proceedings on them.
Estimating for Home Improvement Works - Hugo {P}
I'm a bit embarressed to ask this really but...

I am setting up in business as a sole trader carrying out small home improvement and repair jobs (eg kitchens, bathrooms etc).

Now, I saw adverised somewhere some software advertised to help with quotes etc, but cannot remember where.

Basically I need some sensible figures (in expected progress per hour) for any type of job that could fall into this category.

For example, retiling a floor using ceramic tiles 12" would take one an hour to lay and grout X number of tiles. Hence 200 tiles into X would give me Y hours.

Can any of you tradesmen out there help, it seems to be pointless using a quantity surveyer for such small quotes.

Many thanks

Hugo
Estimating for Home Improvement Works - frostbite
This type of software sometimes crops up on eBay in the General Software area.
Estimating for Home Improvement Works - wemyss
Hugo I assume this is work you intend to carry out yourself and not to contract out?
Are you perhaps thinking of bills of quantities which are a standard part of the construction industry.
When a client puts out tenders for particular works the QS of the contractor will use the bills to measure the amount of work required for every aspect of the job. For instance your ceramic tiled floor would show £**per mtr sq and the amount simply have to be multiplied up and finally produces his tender price for the whole project.
These same bills are also used for variations which means no further calculations have to be done if the client issues site instruction variations on priced works.
I have worked as clerk of works using standard contracts and measurements but only on larger projects which are supervised by a Superintending Officer and employing a QS on both sides.
However on the scale you are working which would perhaps equate to a small local contractor it would be very different. In this case it is really experience which tells you how long particular tasks will take.
For instance one of my son in laws has his own block paving business and has a standard £** per mtre on prepared ground. It would probably take me all day to lay what he does in an hour.
Unless you have some experience in a particular trade etc I imagine it would be difficult to estimate how long particular tasks are going to take until you do the first one.

Estimating for Home Improvement Works - Hugo {P}
Alvin

Yes it is work I intend to do myself.

I have done a fair bit of research and the best answer I can come up with is Spons books, written by Brian Spain.

Apparently these books carry a wealth of standard rate info, I suspect I'll end up paying upwards of £50 to get the ones I need, but I'll save that on getting it right for the first job.

I see what you mean about experience though.

Thanks for the advice

Hugo
Backroom Knowledge - PhilW
Incredible the amount of knowledge forthcoming on this forum - but I can see the day when there are \"I have a question\" computers, plumbing, building, legal Qs etc. HJ could make a fortune if he charged 10p per posting!
But it makes v. interesting reading for saddos like me. I\'ve learnt more about central heating in the last 2 days than in the previous 20 years. HJ - publish a book of Central Heating FAQs!
Backroom Knowledge - henry k
But it makes v. interesting reading for saddos like me.
I\'ve learnt more about central heating in the last 2 days than
in the previous 20 years.

>>
Then do have a look at the recent No Dosh CH saga.
Backroom Knowledge - No Do$h
Then do have a look at the recent No Dosh CH
saga.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=18...6

And that\'s just the start.......

As for suggesting that HJ charge 10p per post; ssshhhhhh! He might hear you!

ND