Crossover technologies - Chris
On a thread on directional tyres a few days ago Stuart B mentioned a bicycle with suspension designed by Alex Moulton along similar lines to his design for the Mini (BTW Stuart, I tried out the new Land Rover badged version of the Moulton APB, and it didn't seem as bouncy as I remember - maybe it's because I'm 30lbs heavier than I was then). Most European car manufacturers started out making bicycles, and learned a lot about manufacturing, metallurgy and frame design from those days. Only Peugeot still does so on a large scale, but I got to wondering whether there is much crossover between car/motorbike and bicycle technologies. For example, bicycles use cassette-type fit and forget sealed wheel bearings now, but is anything going the other way? (I know, I know, bicycles need engines...)

Chris

PS I reckon it would only take one Citroen sphere on a permanently pressurized oleopneumatic suspension system to give a lovely ride on my tandem, but maybe that's a bit Chris Watson-esque.
Re: Crossover technologies - Tom Shaw
Actually Chris, the Peugeot car and bicycle divisions split into seperate companys many years ago. I don't know if they are still under the same corporate umbrella or not as they share the same name and logo, but to all intents and purposes they operate independantly.

I have read recently that bike makers Cannondale have built a prototype motorcycle that they plan to put into production, and sometime in the past Campagnolo were involved in making parts for racing motorcycles.
Re: Crossover technologies - ROBIN
cAMPAGNOLO,NOW THERES A NAME.
I GO BACK 40 YEARS WITH cAMPAG KIT.
iN SPITE OF ALL LOGIC BOTH MY rANDONNEUR AND tRIKE ARE CAMPAG EQUIPPED.
tHE TOURER HAS AN OLD TRUSTY sUNTOUR SETUP,AND tHE DRAGONS tRIKE IS EQUIPPED WITH UTTERLY FAULTLESS,TECNICALLY PERFECT,TOTALLY SOUL-LESS SHIMANO.
TELLS YOU SOMETHING,DUNNIT!