Thick brown sludge in radiator - Pug 106 - DaveSymo
This morning whilst checking fluid levels in my pug 106 I discover that the radiator coolant reservoir was filled with thick brown sludge, all traces of coolant gone.

Oil level had also dropped to virtually nil.

Topped up oil and scraped out as much of the sludge as i could.

What cuased this to happen, any ideas?
I\'m fearing a problem with the head gasket, but hoping its not too serious.

I plan to flush out radiator to see if this cures the problem.

Coolant levels last checked mid-december, all was fine then and have done about 600-1000 miles since. Car could do with a service aswell
Thick brown sludge in radiator - Pug 106 - Peter D
I'm afraid your head gasket has failed and you are wweping oil into a waterway thus the sludge in your rad. The solution is a new head gasket. If your really do not want to go there then you could try undoing all the head bolts and re tightening the head as per the manual. This is unusual to do as many pug agents remove the rockers shaft at 72K to inspect the cam shaft. Personnaly I would change the head Gasket. Good Luck. Regards Peter
Thick brown sludge in radiator - Pug 106 - DL
Petrol or Diesel?

Either way, you have a job on your hands here - the oil sludge is a pfd to remove; involving cooling system flushes and manual cleaning. You'll be best advised to replace the radiator, you'll never fully clean that if it is full of sludge.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Thick brown sludge in radiator - Pug 106 - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Agree with radiator replacement as these pug rads seem to use any excuse to strt leaking. I have been using a Forte product called Bio Cooling system flush which really does an excellent job of breaking down the oil residues in the cooling system and holding them in suspension to flush out. Best of all it is safe to plastics.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!