Honda Accord Front Discs - Miquel
Does anybody have any experience of replacing these on a 96 Accord (or Rover 600)? I went out today and brought some new front discs as the old ones were warped. I expected fitting them would be fairly straight forward, only to have since found out that it looks like it going to be a world of hurt.

The disc is situated behind the hub. From the info I have gleened from the(rather sketchy) manual I have and the internet, it seems like the whole front knuckle/hub needs dismantling just to get to the discs. This can't be right, surely?

any help or advice would be gratefully received.
Honda Accord Front Discs - DL
It's a pig of a job involving a complete strip-down of the front hubs including popping out the wheel bearings, which isn't a straightfoward job.

You will need a hydraulic press for a start. This job is best left to a workshop. It might be prudent to replace the front hub bearings whilst you are there.

Are the discs that badly worn?

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Thanks for your reply DL.

They seem pretty warped to me. Possibly a workshop could do something with them but as am selling the car I thought it would be just less hassle to whip the old ones off and stick on some new. Little did I know Honda took their influences from the Kripton Factor on this particular design.

Do you have any idea how much a garage would charge to fit the discs I have? I'd forget the whole thing seeing as the car is still perfectly drivable, but the parts store won't let me have my money back, only a credit note.
Honda Accord Front Discs - DL
What is/what are the symptoms of the worn discs? Any judder etc?

I'd be inclined to return them to the store in return for a credit note (Check it's length of validity mind...) and spend the credit note on something else in the future - on your new car.

Otherwise, jst chuck 'em in the boot when you sell the car, someone will be grateful for them.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Yes, the steering judders while braking at various degrees depending on speed. It's at it's worst at high speed. I know that are other factors that could cause this too so I had the car up on blocks in gear with the tyres off and visually, as the discs spun you could see where they had warped. Not sure if that's the most scientific test available however!

Thanks again DL for your time. If nothing else, it'll teach me to plan jobs before I go ploughing into them.