Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - PhilVW01
Looking for some help on my wife\'s car. Have a \'99 Golf MK4 which recently developed problems with the boot lock - namely wouldn\'t open either with the key or central locking. Shortly afterwards the rear washer stopped working. After looking around this website I\'m inclined to think the washer tube has become detached and has been pouring water onto the lock so causing the problems.
Anyone got any ideas how I might:

1. Get the hatch door open?
2. Get the trim off the inside of the hatch.
3. How easy is it to fix the rear washer pipe back onto the joint where it goes into the base of the windscreen wiper.

I\'d hate to give in and take it to a garage....

thanks for any help / ideas.....
Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - elekie&a/c doctor
I would think you have more than one problem here.Common faults are failure of tailgate lock/unlock motor,failure of microswitch in latch assy (usually due to water ingress).This affects operation of rear wash/wipe & bootlight.You should still be able to open tailgate with key (mechanical operation),but because nobody uses the key to lock tailgate,the lock gets clogged & jammed with road muck.A liberal spraying of lube/penetrating fluid should free it off.(in key aperture).Removal of trim panel &fixing these faults is easy,once tailgate is open.
Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - JustMike
This is apparently a common problem with Mk 4 Golfs - although I havent had it yet on my 1998 1.4S. I saw a VW Assist mechanic fixing one recently and he told me that the alarm kept going off on this 51 reg car. The problem was the wiper pipe split and dripped water onto the alarm micro switch . He disconnected the boot alarm and said the owner would have to get the switch changed as they do not mend when dried out. Sorry I dont know how he stripped it down but you could ask the next stationary AA or RAC man. Good luck
Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - happy
Unrelated to the thread topic but related to Golf Mk4 (2dr 1.4S). Since new both doors leak when the car is left stationary in the rain. Rain collects on the sill under the door and spills over into the rear footwells. Is this a known VW Mk4 fault and how can it be rectified? Dealer only? Car is still under 3 yr warranty until March.
Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - Mad Maxy
Had this sort of problem on my Golf Mk2. Wires in flexible tube connecting tailgate to body broke owing to repeated bending with opening/closing.

Having said that, didn't have a problem with Mk4 in 50k miles, and dodgy lock AND failed washer sounds v suspicious. Does the rear wiper work OK?
Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - Halmer
It's a known fault. Happened to me.

Pipe becomes detached in the boot. leaks fluid and knackers some kind of unit that works the locking mechanism.
That's it the microswitch.
Don't know how you can get the door opened but getting at the internals is a piece of cake because I did it!

There are a few screws. Make sure that theyt are all out and the door skin will 'pop' off with a bit force at the bottom of it. There are little plastic tabs if I recall.
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. Spent most of Saturday having 'fun' with this - finally managed to get the internal trim panel off (with the hatch door still stuck soldi shut - that one was hugely amusing.....)

Anyway - to cut a long story short, the washer pipe connector is so loose it's pouring water all down the inside of the hatch, covering the lock mechanism and electronic solenoid or motor thingy (sorry - don't do 'lectrics) causing the problems. Now I've got the door open it should be too difficult to remedy. BUT what a crap piece of design - that washer connector looks cheap even compared to a fairy liquid bottle. Anybody got a suggestion for an alternative fixing to make a truly permanent fix?
I'm afraid VW have completely lost the plot.......
Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - Deryck Tintagel
Is the problem that the pipe becomes detached from the washer nozzle nipple? If so, you could try using a small nylon cable tie to hold the pipe in place.
Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - NeilT
My Leon also sufferes the same detached washer pipe problem, it has been fixed 3 times now, but keeps coming back!!!

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150, Toledo 20VT Sport, Various Montegos...
Golf Mk4 - Rear Washer Problem - Leon on Derv
While you have the screwdrivers out - it would be worthwhile taking off the near side rear quarter panel trim right up to the head cloth. there is an equally dodgy joint back here. It seems that if you make good the tailgate joint, the additional back pressure pops the other joint apart, giving you en-suite shower facilities in the near side rear passenger seat!!!!

Depending what additive you use in your washer fluid, you will end up dying your headcloth and the panel fabric blue, yellow or red!!!!

The first time the dealership fixed this to my amazement was with the use of a single cable tie. Insulating tape or duct tape seems to have held the joint in the rear quarter panel together well. Couldn't come up with anything better than cable ties for the waser joint though.

If you use a blow heater to dry out the inside of the boot beware of the seat belt stalks. I managed to melt leonesses with a small fan heater. Good thing was they were only £21 + vat to replace....

If only everything in life was as reliable as..... my 1987 Nissan Bluebird!!!!

Leon
If only everything in life were as reliable as my old 1985 VW Scirocco - brilliant car. Shame they have forgotten how to build since then......
Thanks for all your help.