Switchable power steering - henry k
FIAT Punto. Just back from hiring one.
It had a button on the dash marked Town with a symbol like a T inside a circle.
It was for selecting an increased amount of power steering assistance, I guess for use in town and carparks where more steering effort may be required or is useful.
I am aware of variable/ switchable power steering on up market cars but not come accross this switchable type varient on smaller/cheaper cars.
What other varients are around on small cars?
Will it become the norm?
It seemed quite a good idea and I guess is cheaper than the variable alternative.
It was very interesting to switch it on and off and notice the difference between light and little finger steering.
Switchable power steering - PR {P}
Puntos have had this feature for about 4 years now (the previous new one had it), and no one else seems to have copied....yet.
Switchable power steering - Dizzy {P}
I'd never come across this until someone mentioned the FIAT's "girlie switch" at the weekend. Good job my sexual-equality daughter wasn't within hearing range!
Switchable power steering - SjB {P}
The current MG TF also has EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering), as I believe did its predecessor, and although I understand it crashes and thumps over bumps as a result of a very firm set-up, each article I have read has praised the steering and handling.
Switchable power steering - NowWheels
I'd never come across this until someone mentioned the FIAT's "girlie
switch" at the weekend. Good job my sexual-equality daughter wasn't within
hearing range!

I drove one recently, and thought it was great -- made parking really easy, and it was handy for other city manoeuvres too.

I wouldn't mind it being called a "girlie-swtch" -- I called it that myself, because I have no desire to have to develop huge biceps to park a car!
Switchable power steering - daveyjp
The sister-in-law calls it the "girlie switch". I had a Punto as a hire car in Ireland last year and forgot to turn this off once - very interesting at speed on sweeping corners! The feedback from the steering was zilch - imagine driving on ice!
Switchable power steering - henry k
Thanks HJ and all others for the usual quick info on the subject.

daveyjp. I was not brave enough to try it at speed especially as it was a max 40mph limit (in Jersey). It was useful in the multi storey carparks.

Except for my son's Focus 2.0 Ghia I only get to try new / modern cars when I rent them on holiday.
Oh joy, back to a non power steering Sierra (with tyres soon to be replaced). Just leave me a good parking space so that non of this reverse parking shimmy is needed.
Switchable power steering - Baskerville
The girlie switch was what they called it in the ads. All Peugeots and Citroens, right across the range, have power steering that varies according to engine speed--low revs=lots of assistance--and it works very well. Everything is levelling out I think and the manufacturers are going to have to think of other ways to justify price differentials: a friend of mine with a four year-old Mercedes was appalled when I told him my Peugeot has a three year warranty. He said I'll need it, but then he didn't make his money as a standup comic.