Toyota "Soarer" ? - Wight Van Manne
Saw one of these today, on a "J" plate.

Nice looking car, never seen one before.

Anyone know anything about them?

WVM
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - Mark (Brazil)
It is usually a 2 door coupe, 2.5l or 3.0l twin turbo and usually very well-equipped. They used to be used in road rallying in Australia.

Unusual in the UK, normally Japan, Australia etc.

If you really want one, then Quality Imports of Chesterfield bring them in from Japan (www.qualityimports.co.uk)

Mind you, its kind of old-fashioned if you ask me.
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - T lucas
Soarer has to be one of todays motoring bargains.2.5 twin turbo has well in excess of 300 bhp handles nicely and goes like a rocket,with of course Toyota reliability.I have sold a few and recently sold a '92 with 59,000 miles and a service record on a NI plate for £6,000.A little bit different,and you can live with them without drama.Well recommended.
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - Wight Van Manne
Well, it left my Avensis standing!

Unlike a DB7 Vantage (?) that I got stuck behind this morning. Probably a £100K motor (?) but driven like an old lady in a 1 litre metro.

Beautiful car, though, in silver. First one I've seen and being stuck behind it I had plenty of time to admire it!

WVM
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
It's a Lexus. Couldn't tell you which one, but HJ can.
Only badged Lexus in N.America,the brand name Toyota is good enough elsewhere.I wonder if we will ever get Acuras or Infinitis?Posh Hondas and Nissans.
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - ladas are cool
its a lexus gs300 in a toyota guise.
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - Mike Harvey
Wight, a collegue at work has one, and loves it. Goes like the clappers. I agree with Mark on the looks though. I can tell you that the headlamps with plastic lenses are full of water, and I do not think it will pass the MOT test because the pattern is diffused. He is having difficulty finding an affordable solution.
Regards,
mike
Take the lights out and dry them completly,then seal them around the perspex glass,or if you just want a quick bodge drill a small hole in the bottom of the light and over a few days the will dry out.Have used this method on many different cars in the past,allways works.
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - Mike Harvey
Thanks T, bit of a saga with these though. I did take the lights out as you suggested, but the lenses are sealed from the bulbs , and to dry them out I had to drill holes in the plastic and use the hairdryer method. Filled holes with silicon and sealed the rest of the periphery. Next week, full of water again. Bad workmanship if you ask me!
Mike
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - Tomo
So is it better than a Supra - serious question because I came across one while looking at Supras? Certainly less dramatic looking, which can be a good thing, but some Supras were imported officially, which would seem to favour service and spares prospects.
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - ladas are cool
i quite like the nissan 300ZX, from 1991, twin turbo model is very fast :-)
Re: Toyota "Soarer" ? - Rob Cook
The supra has the performance edge over the soarer. Think of the soarer as an "Executive Supra". Less raucous, more refined.
I wanted one to replace our Audi 80 with, and sit alongside our Supra, but alas, the fiance went for an A6 instead, although thats a fantastic car as well.

Cheers
Rob MKIV Supra

Tomo wrote:
>
> So is it better than a Supra - serious question because I
> came across one while looking at Supras? Certainly less
> dramatic looking, which can be a good thing, but some Supras
> were imported officially, which would seem to favour service
> and spares prospects.

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my car