Repair or Scrap? - BobbyG
The timing belt on my brother's S Reg Vectra 1.6 went on Saturday night. I am getting information second hand just now but as it stands he has been advised that the engine is goosed and will need replaced.

Car has done 108,000 miles, he still has 5 x £200 payments left to make and he has been quoted £800 to repair, but at this stage I am not sure if thats for a recon or what, and whether labour is included.

What is the view of the backroomers - is it worth his while to pay £800 ? Will his car be worth this amount once it has an engine? What Car valuation, via Auto Trader, varies from £300 to £1500! Does £800 sound reasonable for this job?

Would he get anything from a scrappy / breaker for having a structurally sound car, albeit without an engine?

Any thoughts, advice would be appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of any garages / breakers in Renfrewshire who they would recommend, please advise.

Thanks

PS Isn't it annoying when you have a brother who knows you are car mad but never thinks to ask your advice on timing belt change?
Repair or Scrap? - DavidHM
Depending on the way the finance is structured, the car may not be his to sell or scrap.

Probably he could get £400 for it on eBay, significantly less in the trade.

IMO the way forward is a second hand engine, which should come in at a bit less than £800 all in.
Repair or Scrap? - PhilW
Need to think also about how much the car is worth to him rather than how much he could get for it. If he spends £800 on a new engine will he still have a "good" car - is the rest of it in good nick? How much would it cost him to replace it with an equally "good" car? - probably much more than £800
Repair or Scrap? - barney100
They always say if the cost of the repair exceeds the value of the car that is the time to get a new one. I had a replacement recon engine and it was a lot of trouble,I ended up changing anyway! I would restructure the loan and try many dealers for the best ''cost to change '' available.
Repair or Scrap? - DavidHM
I'd eBay the car and let someone else sort out the problem if he can somehow write a cheque for the £950 or so settlement figure.

That leaves him with perhaps £600 of negative equity, which he can't really do anything about, but less than his repair cost. I'm guessing that the car was bought on no-deposit finance when it was 2.5 to three years old with a high-ish mileage, given his monthly payments.

£200 per month over three years will give him £9500 to spend on a new car with £3800 owing in three years' time from www.smartermotoring.com If he wants new, I would suggest a (chain driven) Corolla T2, or a slightly nicer to drive and faster Mégane 1.4. In either case, they'll come with a hassle-free three year warranty as long as he gives them the occasional service.

Alternatively he could look at an appropriately chain driven Mondeo or Nissan Primera on an 03 plate. This plan assumes that he has a good credit rating and is happy to continue his previous car payments - but at least this way you, as his car mad, slightly worried older brother, will have nothing to do but smile benignly as long as he shows up to the local main dealer with £120 in his hands once a year.
Repair or Scrap? - Ivor E Tower
Depending on what's actually damaged, £800 seems quite reasonable. Assuming that the car is S-prefix, it's around 5 years old so should be worth repairing assuming he's not had other trouble/problems with it.