Xantia 1.9TD timing belt - DaveH
Help!

I have spent most of the day trying to get the rear upper timing belt cover off so that I can change the belt. I did this job about 4 times on my old BX but the Xantia has me stumped. I have removed the engine mount and every nut & bolt that I can see, but the cover still wont come off. Does anyone know the solution?

I really don't want to have to give up on this.

Dave
Xantia 1.9TD timing belt - Fullchat
Is there not a 10mm bolt or a clip on the left hand side at the back of the engine which is a cow to get at because of the air pipe from the turbo to intercooler which has to come out. I have done two in the passed and recall having real problems and having to disconnect and pull the turbo pipe out to give a little room. This necessitated leavering th engine forward and shoving in a lump of wood to hold it forward. Nevertheless it was still tight to work on. You can just see it from the top or if you crawl underneath. One of those little inspeection mirrors may help.
I thgink it is one of those items that can be left off on the rebuild due to its difficulty and there are other mountings.
Good luck!

Fullchat
Xantia 1.9TD timing belt - M.M
Correct fc. That rear bolt is almost impossible to see without the engine out of the car. I do them by feel now but the first time looking with a small mirror and torch will help locate the thing.

I always put them back...sign of a dedicated Xantia repairer!

M.M
Xantia 1.9TD timing belt - RichardW
And not forgetting it's a different size to the other nuts / bolts holding the covers on - just for extra good measure!!

MM - do you do them without removing the turbo inlet hose?

I wouldn't leave it out, as the cover covers the entire timing belt and without this rear bolt will flap about and probably foul the belt and possibly cause early failure.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Xantia 1.9TD timing belt - M.M
>>do you do them without removing the turbo inlet hose?

Yes Richard I do. I use a *very* short ring spanner which you are only really holding with your fingertips. I find taking off your watch and not wearing a thick jumper also helps.

It really is a marginal access.

Had one in for a service the other week where the selling dealer had done the timing belt a short while before. They left the bolt out and managed to break the top cover into three sections!

M.M
Xantia 1.9TD timing belt - Fullchat
Well thank goodness for that!!! I thought it was just me that was making heay weather of it.

Now have you ever tried to renew a 306 clutch cable with air con? That does try the patience of a saint.

Fullchat