Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - Phil G
I have a 89 Golf GTI 8v which has been well cared for throughout it's life. I really enjoy the car and it has been very reliable. However, it is due some big money spending on it with Cambelt/Tensioner change due and a clutch replacement looming. The heater has also stopped working - I think the matrix has gone bad. It had the bypass installed in 1998 by VW so no chance of getting them to do the work gratis. So I am probably looking at £250-300 labour for all these jobs plus parts. My mechanic doesn't even want to do the heater matrix as it is such a hard job!

It has 130k miles and the engine is still very strong; the car feels fast. It has a slight gearbox while in 4th. Now I am considering if it makes sense to spend all this money on it which probably equates to over half the value of the car. Thoughts from Backroomers?
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - Andrew-T
It comes down (as in the other thread) to "how much you love your car", which you almost say you do. That being so, ~£500 may feel like money well spent. It may be unimportant to compare that with the car's resale value, as you don't intend to sell! Take comfort in the very small amount of depreciation that is happening to it.
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - Ian Cook
Another way to look at the problem Phil, is to consider the value of the car now if you tried to sell it (what would a good condition '89 GTi fetch?) - then take off the cost of repairs to the (potential) new owner:

Cam belt
Clutch
Heater matrix

... and what are you left with? Not much, I'd guess. I think it's always worth repairing the car unless it's an absolute dog already (yours doesn't sound like it), or you are determined to change it.

Ian Cook
Well yeah. I have decided to keep it - all other possible replacement GTIs sound knackered/abused. Also you have to consider they are selling because they too face similar bills. Any good ones are the late model ones which fetch close to a grand - too much.

You could spend thousands on a motor and not have it as good as my GTI so it seems wrong to condemn it.
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - steveo30
the cam belt and tensioner is cheep n easy..parts would be £30ish

the heater matrix is not a nice job but its only a mornings work for a diy'er

the only nasty job is the clutch

cant you find a mate who can help out??

try www.clubgti.com forums
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - Glutton
Are you sure its the heater matrix that has gone? The heater packed up on my old Golf and it turned out to be that the replacement valve needed replacing! A VW only part at around £25, much cheaper than doing the heater matrix.
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - Rab355
About 2 months ago the heater on my 190,000 mile 1989 8v Golf GTI stopped working. The fault turned out to be with one of the 'by-pass' valves fitted under a recall programme. The valve in the flow connection appeared to be a sort of wax-stat type valve. The valve had operated and closed off the flow to the heater. I substituted a piece of tube for the valve and capped off the thin by-pass hose. The heater now works. I have not noticed any coolant loss either before or after carrying out this modification.

One thing to watch out for on these cars is the metal water pipe which runs across the front of the engine. They rust through from the outside after about 4 years. The result, I think, of the quantity of salt put down on major roads these days.

A timing belt and tensioner doesn't cost very much. If you bought a replacement car, you might well need to change the belt and tensioner on it.

Great advice all. I'll bypass that valve for now and see if that does the job. Seeing as two of you have had it give trouble its pretty likely that's the one. If I can avoid messing with the matrix the outlook is much better.

The metal water pipe on my GTI is fine - I replaced one on my girlfriend's Jetta recently. It seemed to be springing leaks from everywhere! Not cheap - nearly £30 from GSF if memory serves.
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - sp30
hey rab sounds like your the man for me i like the sound of replacement avoidence......any chance you could go into greater detail about hoe you replace this valve with tube and what you capped it with........must be my problem......just dont know where to start!!!!!
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - mitch65
This is one of the greatest cars of the 20th century and, if yours is still in good nick and reas. original, worth every penny to keep running.
Many of those that are left have been hideously 'maxed up' and ruined.
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - DL
Bring the car down to me and I\'ll have it sorted pretty quick/cheaply - sounds like your \'mechanic\' wants a rocket up his backside to me!

I did a heater matrix in the wifes MK2 Diesel on the drive 7 yrs ago.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - Ian D
If the worst comes to the worst and it is the heater matrix, I changed mine on my 84 Mk2 GTi a few years ago and whereas it was fiddly it was not too bad a job. It is not a dashboard out job like some cars, it just means working feet in the air/head under the dash for a while.
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - sp30
I HAVE A 89 8v gti in factory spec. as it should be!! no maxxing out with orig bbs alloys on and i love her!!! dont sell it and if u do sell it to me. there the best old hatch on the road,mine still slays moddern so called hot hatches!! the bypass valve thing works, i did it using a spark plug socket as a pipe linkage and capped the thin pipe with a bolt!!!!!! im warm again.
Seeing as SP30 as resurrected this thread I'll give you an update.

I removed the bypass valve and this had no effect; I conclude that hot coolant must be flowing through the matrix! I contacted VW and they said it had had the recall performed on the car in 98; although that doesn't mean the matrix has been replaced - they only did that if it was really knackered and preferred to just install the bypass valve.

I couldn't convince my mechanic to do the job so I guess I'll have to the matrix myself. It does chuck out warmer than ambient air so as long as it is above 5C outside it is comfortable in the car - I'll just hope winter is over soon!

So DL, where are you located? I'd be happy to take you up on your offer ;)
Spend big £££ to keep GTI going? - leeboy
have you tried replacing the thermostat £5,i have the same car and had the same problems,you'll know if your heater matrix packs up,it starts with over heating then to much presure then usualy bursts leaving water all over the footwells of the car,not a hard job,just a bit of time and patients,does it.try vw specailist in your erea rather than main dealer for parts,big savings.great cars,just take one job at a time,its worth it in the end.good luck
Yes done the tstat ages ago; first thing I tried.

I'll just get one from GSF and have a go at it soon.