1997 - sticking rear door handle - Waino
I guess at 96,000 miles those niggling little things are going to start happening on my '97 Mondeo estate. The rear door handle has started to stick such that if it isn't pushed back into place, anyone getting into the rear seat finds that the door will not fasten when it is pulled to. The handle is stiff and squeaks and I fear that after a period of time, it could seize altogether. I've tried squirting copious amounts of WD40 into the handle with no luck - it looks as though I will have to take off the interior door trim to gain access.

Have any Backroomers come across this problem, is there a simple solution and can anyone comment on the ease or otherwise of removing (and replacing!) the door trim?

Many thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/01/2010 at 17:16

Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - elekie&a/c doctor
I have had this problem before.It is possible that the metal spring tensioner has come adrift from the handle mechanism & is probably laying in bottom of door.Removing door trim is easy;screws around outer edge of panel;screw &plastic fitting around inside door pull &release handle &then carefully pull panel away from door (on plastic pop studs)Also remove window winder handle if not electric.
Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - M.M
Funnily enough I've just done two of these. One has semi-seized pivots and a weak return spring, the other just seized pivots.

In both cases they were cured by working the handle to and fro for minutes on end while "washing out" the pivots with WD40, then applying a heavier oil.

It is just possible to do the job from outside if you know exactly where you are squirting but far far easier to take off the trim and see what you're doing.

M.M
Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - Waino
Thanks for the replies. I had a go at this today and succeeded in freeing up the handle - I wasn't able to easily get at the hinges, though. After taking out all the screws, the trim was still held somewhere near the top, then when I gently pulled it up, there was a layer of foam sound-damper held round the edge by the mother of all black mastics (it's the Ghia, so maybe there are some variaions on trim type). I eased the foam for about 6 inches - just sufficient to get my hand in to feel the hinges. Acting blindly, I gave the area a good squirt of WD40, then transferred some oil on my finger-tip. After a bit of working the handle, it loosened up and works fine now.

If I had to do it again, and couldn't free the trim any better, I would fix 2ft of neoprene tube to the nozzle of my oilcan and tape the other end to my finger-end as everything had to be done by touch.
Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - focusman
had same problem, stripped door down took out handle cleaned and lubricated it. still as bad, remembered i had some rubber/plastic lubricant in an aerosol spray, i think it was from halfords, sprayed it into the handle without stripping it down. worked perfect not touched it since, must be two years since.
Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - Waino
I suspect it's a question of finding the right spot (the M spot?)
Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - zzapper
Hi
this is number 1 in Google for mondeo rear door handle.
Any chance of a photo of the "M" spot?
Best regards
zzapper
Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - focusman
hi
no photo's but all i did was spray inside the handle where your fingers grip, spray on both sides where it hinges and then spray all over handle so it can work its way into the workings at the rear of the handle. clean up excess from paintwork.
Halfords Silcone Lubricant 400ml Cat code: 724542-0 £3.99.

don't bother using wd40 or others of the like, it might work at first but it won't last.
just did my wife punto last week with the same problem, one spray and it was a good as new.
did the other handles and the door seals as well while i had the can out.
cheers
Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - GolfMk4GTiT
Thanks! I found your answer extremely useful and has saved me a lot of time.

The secret is in the detail you give! I tried SILICON lubricant (not WD49) before but not exactly as you described and it didn't work too well + prob returned.

But I sprayed the silicon lubricant EXACTLY as you described (underneath on both sides) and now it is as good as new! (It also helped to bang it in with a wooden mallet several times rather than left it just spring back on its own.) Now, when you let go of it, it readily snaps back fully flush with the door.

It is so easy to do this way that I suggest anyone who has a sticking out door handle on a Mondeo Mk2 try this first, certainly before romoving anything!

Mondeo - sticking rear door handle - ChannelZ

WD40 is a water displacant, not a lubricant. You'd probably be better off spitting on the handle than using WD40. More lube in spit.