Focus First Service - nickd01
The Focus is going for it's first service tomorrow. Following the advice on HJ's FAQ I asked them to change the gearbox oil. They said there isn't a drain plug, and that modern cars these days don't need that e.t.c

Am I being lead astray here, or are they right?

Anything else I should ask them to do/change that isn't standard?

Thanks
Focus First Service - DavidHM
Gearbox oil? At 12.5k? Are you sure?

I defer to HJ on this one but I am very, very doubtful that this will confer any benefit at all on you.

There doesn't appear to be a reference to this in the FAQ. Do you have a link?
Focus First Service - Wilco {P}
this link methinks

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=12

Focus First Service - nickd01
That's the one...
Does anyone have a strong opinion on this? I'd hate to think HJ is out of date!
Focus First Service - Aprilia
Fundamentally I agree with HJ. However, it is not something most manufacturers would go along with, and as your Ford dealer said, many modern cars do not have a drain plug. You would have to drop the oil pan (in some cases even that you not be possible.
Bear in mind that it could cost a fair bit to change the oil; modern synthetic gear oils are not cheap (esp. at 'dealer rates').
Focus First Service - Ben {P}
I think the oil change is conducted after one year so any swarf is removed, which if left in the box will cause premature wear.
Focus First Service - henry k
The Focus is going for it's first service tomorrow. Following the
advice on HJ's FAQ I asked them to change the gearbox
oil. They said there isn't a drain plug, and that modern
cars these days don't need that e.t.c
Am I being lead astray here, or are they right?

Haynes says
"Oil change not included in maint schedule"

"iB5 box has no drain plug so remove drive shafts."
I think this is the earlier gearbox.

"MTX75 box (is I think the later box like the Mondeo's) has a drain plug in the base of the diff. It needs a special hex socket or large allen key."

I assume you have the MTX75 box as it is first service.

My 99v Focus 2.0 has a ring around the gear lever for reverse selection and I assume this is the MTX75 box.
Focus First Service - robert
The IB5 gearbox is fitted to:

1.4, 1.6 & 1.8 Foci

The MTX 75 is fitted to 2.0 & all Diesel engined Foci
Focus First Service - trymybest
ref. focus gearbox oil change.
I have worked at various ford dealers as a ford techician for more years than ilike to remember and as far as i can recall i
have never been asked to change transmission oil on a focus.
The only specified transmission oil change is for the ranger @12k
Focus First Service - Dalglish
nickd01: on another post
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=19...4
i said what my dad and grandad say:

who knows. one day maybe synthetic oil get so good that they seal engine for life! just like some gearboxes and batteries and cv joints. my dad says in fifties and sixties cars had multitude of grease nipples, gearbox oil changes, axle oil changes, tappets set, points set and changed, spark plugs, batteries, carburretors etc. all needed servicing every 3k miles. electronic ignition and fuel injection unheard of!! technology progress still some people stick with sixties mindset.

that was in reply to engine oil. quite cheap and easy to change engine oil so no brainer to decide.

but gearbox oil? i do what manufacturer says. especially if car under warranty.
your decision. your choice. you pays your money and takes your choice.