Volvo s40 ABS & tyre probs - Peterco
Hi
I've got a 1998 2.0 S40, and i have been having a few probs with it recently.

First of all the ABS light stays on, and when I took it to have the fault code read, it came out as "2-1-5 Valve relay: open circuit or short-circuit".
Does anybody know what this means? My mechanic hasnt got a clue!!

Also the other problem that I have been having is that the rear tyres have been wearing on the inside edge very badly. I took the car to kwik-fit for tracking, but they said that the rear wheels are not adjustable on this car! The car is also front wheel drive.

Can anybody help with these problems?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Peter.
Volvo s40 ABS & tyre probs - Aprilia
ABS error message presumably related to the hydraulic block solenoid-valve energising relay? Have you checked/located the relay?

Rear tracking is unlikely to be readily adjustable. Have you got weak rear springs or been towing or carrying heavy loads?
Volvo s40 ABS & tyre probs - Peterco
Havent located the relay yet, not sure where it is.

I havent been towing at all, and never have done. I hope that i havent got weak springs, the car is only 6 years old.

As for heavy loads, the only thing that I've been carrying in the back of the car lately has been the mother in law.
Volvo s40 ABS & tyre probs - Aprilia
Wear on inside edge is likely due to excessive negative camber (top of wheel is leaning in). This usually happens if the back end is sitting 'low'. I would check ride height and check for broken/worn springs.
If you are not the first owner then it could have been used for carrying heavy loads in the past.