'96 Fiesta diesel fuel pump - Toni
I'd had trouble starting my car but now it won't start at all. We've changed the fuel filter and glow plugs but it still won't start as the diesel isn't getting thru'. (almost did with lots of WD40 sprayed on it)

My friendly mechanic says that it is most likely the fuel pump and says it will need to get to a Ford dealer to repair. Is this the only way to get it fixed as I hate to think how much it will cost together with towing it 20 miles!

He also says to get a diagnostic man out to check it first but can that be done if the engine won't start?
'96 Fiesta diesel fuel pump - mgk luton beds
not enough info but is timing ok try running from a can of diesel held up above the engine and let gravity do its job
is power getting to the glow plugs??
is fuel shut off valve onb the pump getting power with ign on??should hear it clic on/off with ign
fbillytom@nltworld.com
'96 Fiesta diesel fuel pump - DL
If it is the fuel injection pump [which I doubt, anyway] then please don't go anywhere near a Stealer - find a local injection repair shop.....the dealer sould do just the same and sub-contract the work.

Cut out the middle-man and save ££'s
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
'96 Fiesta diesel fuel pump - johnmac
Its more likely to be the hand fuel pump(mechanical). They cost about 15 pounds. Its just a case of 2 bolts, and fitting the new one on. The diaphram inside burst after a couple of years usually, i would advice you try and change that first.
'96 Fiesta diesel fuel pump - johnmac
You can do this yourself easily. Just above the fuel filter yuo have the fuel primer pump. You basically get 2 kinds of these pump, CAV and something else(lucas ?). Unscrew the fuel pipes going into and out of the pump. Unscrew the 2 17mm(15mm??) bolts securing the pumps housing. Take the pump into Lsuk or where ever. Buy new pump, then bolt it up. You will have an airlock after you change it. Just prime the pump, while getting someone to turn the engine over. It can take 10 mins or so to get the fuel coming through sometimes, sometimes quite quick. Obvioulsy your battery wil be flat after 10mins so a jump would be a good idea.

If its still hard to get going a tow-jump start will definately get it started, or if yur desperate, you will find a nozzle you can remove from the fuel pipe(hand pump to injector pump section) and you can suck the fuel through, then prime it a few times, should start fine. I've never sucked the fuel through but seen it done.
'96 Fiesta diesel fuel pump - Toni
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try and see if any of them work.
'96 Fiesta diesel fuel pump - autumnboy
The fuel pump (lift pump) is inside the injector pump, the pump on the fuel filter is for priming purposes only when you bleed the system after filter renewal or repairs.

Try taking a fuel pipe off the fuel filter and blow, listen for any gurgling sound in the tank, if not, you've got a blockage.

Are sure the tank vent is not blocked causing a vacuum stopping the fuel through.

Finally have you check your cam belts to be sure they're ok.