Mondeo Noisy Drive Belt - tall paul
My mondy 2000 (98) make a noise from FOS when cold. I finally norrows this down to the Aux Drive belt and decided that perhaps it was too tight but of course it has an automatic adjuster so there is no adjustment. the belt looks ok and is no problem in summer. but it's really noisy when cold. someone told me to put oil on it but i decided against as i would probaly end up with it sliping. I know that normal V belts can get noisy as they get polished but this is a flat multi v belt and does not look polished. Any ideas ? are they hard to change ? it does the aircon as well as water and electrics and steering.
Mondeo Noisy Drive Belt - frostbite
I am probably going to get (have got?) a reputation on here for suggesting this, but I would try spraying it with Holts Rubber Lubricant.

Even if it doesn't work it should extend the life of your belt.

I would never get oil near the belt!
i'll give it a go and let you know!
Mondeo Noisy Drive Belt - kithmo
Maybe something that the belt is driving is causing the noise. The pulleys could be out of alignment or you may have a dry bearing on the alternator, power steering or air-con. Or it could be that the alternator is under more load, i.e. lights, heated screens etc. on or even a battery on its last legs.
i wondered this myself but then i was told that if i squirt a drop of wd40 onto the belt and it goes quiet then that is the problem. so i did and it works for about 30 seconds!!
Mondeo Noisy Drive Belt - kithmo
i wondered this myself but then i was told that if
i squirt a drop of wd40 onto the belt and it
goes quiet then that is the problem. so i did and
it works for about 30 seconds!!

The noise going away when you squirt WD40 on the belt just tells you the noise is coming from the belt, not necessarily that the belt is the problem. It could be the belt that is worn OR any of the problems I outlined above. Cheapest option IS to initially replace the belt, but if it is one of the other problems then the noise will return when the new belt has bedded in. Because the belt is self tensioning, a slack alternator, power steering pump or air-con pump will automatically be re-tensioned, up to a point, but out of alignment.
Mondeo Noisy Drive Belt - Dynamic Dave
I've always found a squirt of wd-40 quietens down a noisy belt for a while.
Mondeo Noisy Drive Belt - DL
What sort of noise are you getting?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Mondeo Noisy Drive Belt - Peter D
New belt required. This noise often is a sign og surface degradation and when you take it off and turn it inside out you will fine surface cracks in it. Either buy a genuine fFord bent or a Gates manufactured Aux Belt. Regards Peter