Fiesta 1.8D seized(?) after overheating. - johnmac
Hi, havent posted here for a while,

My radiator went yesterday, and i must have driven about 7 miles with no liquid in, i didnt notice the gauge was right off the scale for a good whle etc..

Anyway i pulled over let it cool down, and now it wont turn over, does this mean that something is stuck or warped ?

How bad is this likely to be?

ford fiesta 1.8 diesel.

thanks
car wont turn over after overheating? - Claude
I presume you mean it wont turn over either by using the starter motor or by putting it into top gear with the spark plugs removed and rocking or pushing the car ? If so then its most likely one of the pistons has seized in the cylinder. If so the piston and liner will need replacing. If the lining is not removeable (I'm not familiar with that engine but it probably is not) then it would have to be bored out to take an oversize piston. All rather expensive.
car wont turn over after overheating? - Claude
Forget the reference to spark plugs !
car wont turn over after overheating? - Aprilia
Chnaces are that the engine has siezed. Probably means a new engine.
car wont turn over after overheating? - johnmac
Yeah i took a jumper and tried to jump from postive to starter motor and nothing, i got a tow back home, dont know if that was the wisest thing but it freewheeled pretty smooth and started fine while towing when put into gear. Anyway so if the piston is gone then its pretty much for the scrap heap.

thanks anyway.
car wont turn over after overheating? - Cliff Pope
You say you got it started with a tow start? Did it run OK? Is it loosening up a bit with running? Sounds as if all may not be lost.
car wont turn over after overheating? - Peter D
Well if it ran OK from a jump start I suggest the the engine was rather tight when you tried to restart and it ahs burn out the braided link from the starter solenoid to the starter motor windings. If it is running OK and is not burning oil then a new rad is the fix. This assumes the Rad did not rupture due to pressurisation caused by a head gasket leak. Regards Peter
Ok need some more advice here,

Car is at the mechanics right now, he says the starter is gone as well as the radiator. He's going to charge 250 pounds for both plus labour, which is quite a bit for me right now. He also says theres a chance the head may have warped, though not from tests, because he cant get it started to conduct proper tests, just guessing.

I can pick up a second hand starter and radiator right now and fit them myself for 30 pounds.

What i need to know is, say the head is warped is it ok to still drive it ?

I mean it freewheeled when being towed fine, no noises, no lag etc... Should i get the car towed from the mechanic fit the starter and radiator and just hope the head is ok ?

thanks again.
I basically have to have the car for work tonight at 6pm.
car wont turn over after overheating? - Cliff Pope
Sometimes it's easier just to try things rather than mess around testing them, and this sounds like one of those times.
For £30 I'd just replace the starter and radiator and see what happens. At worst you will find the engine is shot, which is no more than you feared to start with.